Cheetah3D 7.0 - Early Adopters Beta Test

Empty boolean union

I've really been enjoying the upgraded booleans in v7. However, I'm running into an issue (in both b19 and b20).

The attached .jas file shows an empty union. But turning off the creator tags shows the original geometries aren't empty.

Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• emptyunion.png
    emptyunion.png
    91.8 KB · Views: 597
  • GBNunion3-nobevel.zip
    12.9 KB · Views: 339
This won´t work because of its intersecting geometry.
I´d skip the bevel/chamfer - make the 2 keys editable - select front and back polygons - make inner extrude and pull out for a nice bevel.
Align everything to your liking and boolean will work as expected: file attached.
When you use ->Polygon->Boolean instead of modifier/creator add it will maintain material assignments BTW.
Both extrude objects are labeled "watertight" - but it won´t help with Boolean operations in this case.
(You introduced some scaling issues too - but I don´t think it´s the problem here.

Cheers
Frank

Attachments

• GNunion 4U.jas.zip
    59.1 KB · Views: 338
  • IntersectingGeometry.png
    IntersectingGeometry.png
    46.4 KB · Views: 586
  • GN.png
    GN.png
    61.2 KB · Views: 601
Last edited:
Background Image Color Change

Anybody know why C3d is changing the color on a background image? The original image has a lot more saturated wall color. I used the Cheetah Renderer on this one with HDRI. I didn't think any of the render settings would effect a background image though. ?

Attachments

• C3d Color.jpg
    C3d Color.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 541
  • 522466988.jpg
    522466988.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 513
Last edited:
Change Color Tint Caused By HDRI

Hi Swizl

I don't know if this will help you any. Last week I was trying to render a white image. I was using the “oldtown_pano_sm” image for a HDRI.
The image kept rendering blue instead of white.

By trial/error and accidents i was finally able to achieve my goal.

I made lots of notes.

I've included a pdf in this post.

My Best
Jeanny

Attachments

• Change Color Tint Caused By HDRI.pdf
    351.8 KB · Views: 412
Last edited:
Hi Swizl

I don't know if this will help you any. Last week I was trying to render a white image. I was using the “oldtown_pano_sm” image for a HDRI.
The image kept rendering blue instead of white.

By trial/error and accidents i was finally able to achieve my goal.

I made lots of notes.

I've included a pdf in this post & I'll post again with two more pdf's.

My Best
Jeanny

Thanks for responding. I'll check it out. I'll have to test it in v6 and see what it does. Not good though IMHO to have the background image change color.

Sounds like a necessary heads up. What is an IMHO?
Maybe I should find another avenue my self.
I don't want to run into problems down the line.

My Best
Jeanny

My solution was to set up the scene with the image in the background. Then I rendered the scene with only the 3d stuff and a transparent background. I saved the image as a png. Then I composited them in Photoshop. Paste in Place makes it easy when the resolution is the same for both images.

Attachments

• Earth Science.jpg
    Earth Science.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 533
Last edited:
My solution was to set up the scene with the image in the background. Then I rendered the scene with only the 3d stuff and a transparent background. I saved the image as a png. Then I composited them in Photoshop. Paste in Place makes it easy when the resolution is the same for both images.
Once again in slowmo: In essence you´re saying with just the appearance of the the poster on the wall the tint of the whole room is changing? I doubt that.

Cheers
Frank

Once again in slowmo: In essence you´re saying with just the appearance of the the poster on the wall the tint of the whole room is changing? I doubt that.

Cheers
Frank

It's changing even when there isn't anything else in the scene. Can you see the two images I posted next to each other? The first image has nothing to do with C3d. It came from iStock. The only thing I did here was reduce the size so I could post it. So there still should be an explanation of why C3d is changing the color so drastically?

If you´re using it as a camera background it really doesn´t matter which kind of hdri you´ll use for lighting BUT if you mapped this image to a plane it will receive all the light&tint from the hdri - so that is normal. If you need just the lighting info/power from a specific hdri you´ll need to desaturate the color from the hdri:

Cheers
Frank

Just more infos on that topic: http://www.cheetah3d.com/forum/showpost.php?p=101190&postcount=167

Attachments

• HDRItinting.png
    HDRItinting.png
    309.7 KB · Views: 473
Last edited:
If you´re using it as a camera background it really doesn´t matter which kind of hdri you´ll use for lighting BUT if you mapped this image to a plane it will receive all the light&tint from the hdri - so that is normal. If you need just the lighting info/power from a specific hdri you´ll need to desaturate the color from the hdri:

Cheers
Frank

The backplate in this instance is a photo that was applied to the camera. The HDRI is a studio lighting that is mostly grey. There may be some slight color tinting on it, but it would be minimal. That's why I don't understand why the color is changing? Unless C3d loads all images as a certain RGB color space? I'll try saving out the image tomorrow from Photoshop and see if it makes a difference.

The backplate in this instance is a photo that was applied to the camera.
That is totally strange: I applied 4 very different HDR images to the scene and the camera background image is totally unaffected due rendering.
Can you upload the complete scene compressed?

Cheers
Frank

That is totally strange: I applied 4 very different HDR images to the scene and the camera background image is totally unaffected due rendering.
Can you upload the complete scene compressed?

Cheers
Frank

Thanks again Frank for looking in to it. I'll attach the file tomorrow, since I'm home from work now. I may only be able to send part of the background image though since it was bought off of iStock.

I'll attach the file tomorrow, since I'm home from work now. I may only be able to send part of the background image though since it was bought off of iStock.
I can use the preview of that image - I think more important is the HDRI. ;)
(I guess you have my email address)

Cheers
Frank

I guess you know you can map an image to a solid color shader and it won´t interact with lights at all?!

Cheers
Frank

No I didn't think about that. I do have to match perspective, so I don't know if it will be more difficult putting the image on a plane?

Anyway, here is the 3d file with the HDRI I'm using. The HDRI came from SurfingAlien (Alessandro) in a post from a few years ago. I use it for most of my renderings because it doesn't give a strong color cast to the renders. I removed all the textures to make the file smaller.

Attachments

• Earth Science.zip
    470 KB · Views: 269
It works here out of the box:
There must be something else on your side. HDRI tinting only affects scene object but not camera background image color:

Cheers
Frank

Attachments

• MatchRender.jpg
    MatchRender.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 447
It works here out of the box:
There must be something else on your side. HDRI tinting only affects scene object but not camera background image color:

Cheers
Frank

Thanks for the help on this.

I think I've tracked down the problem. The color profile for this one image is ProPhoto RGB. It seems from reading the wiki on it that it supports a wider gamut than the typical sRGB. When I convert the color space profile from ProPhoto RGB to sRBG IEC61966-2.1 in Photoshop, it loads into C3d properly.

Back