Cheetah3D 7.0 - Early Adopters Beta Test

What is the use for this, is it for actual painting on a texture or for bone heating.

Hi, you can use the new Vertex Color Tag + Brush Tool to paint any color directly on any Editable Mesh.

Beware that it won't be automatically visible upon importing into other 3D apps or Game Engines unless they support it. For example: In Unity3D you'll need to build or assign a Vertex Shader to your model (such as its built-in "Particles/Alpha Blended" Shader) in order to reveal your C3D vertex shaded .jas or .fbx model rendered in real time. Houdini Indie/FX/Apprentice has native support upon importing Cheetah3D's Vertex Shader via .FBX for example.

It's an ancient technique but with ground breaking flexibility for prototypes, best consistent on screen color management, saves an enormous amount of time for simple mesh colorizations that show better depth when compared to just adding multiple material per mesh assignments that are limited, eliminates the need to constantly switch back & forth between various 2D texturing software packages, low CPU load + low GPU draw calls + fastest stable FPS for large scenes, and no need to manage or keep track of an entire bitmap texture library, just to name a few advantages, however its not a direct replacement for high resolution HD PBR 2D bitmap textures but still can complement those environments because it can be rendered at the same time.

I like to think of it as an awesome 3D Vector Art tool without the capability to import an .SVG as a colorized 2D mesh.

Renderer question, and a request

Thanks, Martin, for all of the great work that you do!

Rendered in Falcon vs Cheetah, the falcon renders with default settings appear grainy. Is there a setting to let it grind a little further? The scene is HDRI lit, with an additional distant light and blurred reflections.

Also, as a request, is there a way that when switching renderers, the original resolution can be remembered instead of going to a default 640 x 480 in both?

Bill in MN

Thanks, Martin, for all of the great work that you do!

Rendered in Falcon vs Cheetah, the falcon renders with default settings appear grainy. Is there a setting to let it grind a little further? The scene is HDRI lit, with an additional distant light and blurred reflections.

Also, as a request, is there a way that when switching renderers, the original resolution can be remembered instead of going to a default 640 x 480 in both?
The default number of samples is set to "100" which you can increase it to your liking. If you want Falcon to render till you´re satisfied with the result you can set the number to "0" and hit the "STOP"-sign/button to finish the render then.
The resolution settings of both render engines are not synchronized right now. Can´t tell if there are any changes planned.

Cheers
Frank

Hi, you can use the new Vertex Color Tag + Brush Tool to paint any color directly on any Editable Mesh.

It's an ancient technique but with ground breaking flexibility for prototypes, best consistent on screen color management, saves an enormous amount of time for simple mesh colorizations that show better depth when compared to just adding multiple material per mesh assignments that are limited, eliminates the need to constantly switch back & forth between various 2D texturing software packages, low CPU load + low GPU draw calls + fastest stable FPS for large scenes, and no need to manage or keep track of an entire bitmap texture library, just to name a few advantages, however its not a direct replacement for high resolution HD PBR 2D bitmap textures but still can complement those environments because it can be rendered at the same time.

I like to think of it as an awesome 3D Vector Art tool without the capability to import an .SVG as a colorized 2D mesh.

I can not see any vertex paint in the render?

Attachments

• Vertex paint.jpg
    Vertex paint.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 849
Last edited:
Possible v7 Bug?

I changed the color of the Editor Separators in the preferences. After doing this, the color and copy on those separators is being clipped.

Possible bug?

Attachments

• Editor Seprator Clipping.png
    Editor Seprator Clipping.png
    252.9 KB · Views: 843
I can not see any vertex paint in the render?

You need to use the color output of the state node (it took me a while to figure out — I started to write a bug report)

Counter-intuitively, once you apply the material to the painted object, it stops previewing correctly (sigh). And it doesn't show up properly in the node editor either.

This is a really annoying since you can't even stop a material from being previewed without simply turning it off.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-08-03 at 7.09.37 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-08-03 at 7.09.37 PM.png
    34.9 KB · Views: 844
Last edited:
No? Have you selected the vertex-paint tag again?

Good point. It's really a more general issue with not being able to see vertex colors _at all_ except when painting. I should be able to see the vertex colors when the object itself isn't selected (let alone in vertex paint mode). E.g. I might be vertex painting two different objects and want to refer to object A while painting object B.

(Incidentally, the forum doesn't seem to allow posting images via URL if the images are from some other forum post, so I had to download my own previously uploaded image to cross-post it.)

You need to use the color output of the state node (it took me a while to figure out — I started to write a bug report)

Counter-intuitively, once you apply the material to the painted object, it stops previewing correctly (sigh). And it doesn't show up properly in the node editor either.

This is a really annoying since you can't even stop a material from being previewed without simply turning it off.

I still don't see any color in the renders, I sympathize with you unc.

I got it now, I forgot to put the material on the object.

Very counter intuitive at this point, and it doesn't look to good.

I can't figure out what I would use this for.

It works best on a very fine mesh, lots of small polygons.

The focus setting is a blur or feather of the edge.

Attachments

• Vertex Paint.jpg
    Vertex Paint.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 714
With respect to vertex colors,
it would be nice to have an option to use the vertex (soft) selection.
In combination with point animation, changes to mesh structure could be animated in shape and color simultaneously.

EDIT
After thinking again, in animation not the selection, but the position would change, so there's rather no point to it...
(at least selecting would be needed only once.)

Last edited:
Brush tool works great!

Thanks for the Brush tool, it's great!

Very intuitive to use, to "sculpt" models easily and quickly.
Something which i thought was missing in Cheetah 3D 6.

A large part of Cheetah 3D is it's intuitive design and ease of use, this Brush tool makes "sculpting" models feel intuitive like drawing, it makes Cheetah 3D better.

Keep it up!

Apple just changed their app store review time, will Martin re-view his decision and put the app on the store again? I will love him for eternity!

Back