Basic Bridge question

Basic Bridge question

I'm trying to use the Bridge tool but I can't select the second point.
I'm using Cheetah3D 7.3b1

I'm following the tutorial here:
http://loewald.com/c3dbook/Video-Tutorials/modeling-tools-overview/

-I made two boxes
-Created 3 sections per X/Y/Z
-Moved one box to the side of the other
-Made BOTH editable meshes
-Selected a face on each and deleted them
Observation: only the vertexes of one box are showing. The other box is all grey
-Selected Bridge from the Tools menu
-Clicked a point in the open face of one box. Point turned blue
-Clicked where the other point on the other box "should be" (b/c I can't see any of the vertexes) and nothing.

I can't find a way to have the vertexes of both boxes viewable/selectable at the same time.

I have tried selecting both boxes in the object list (didn't work)
I have tried Select All from the Selection menu (didn't work)

What am I missing??
I know its got to be super simple but what is it !!!???!!!

j

You need editable meshes (+ "component mode" enabled) and openings at the parts you want to bridge: it´s in the HELP BTW.

Cheers
Frank

Figured it out !!

Merge objects, return to Point Mode, then choose Bridge from Tools menu.

Success !!
Thanks!

You need editable meshes (+ "component mode" enabled) and openings at the parts you want to bridge: it´s in the HELP BTW.

Cheers
Frank

The Cheetah Help does not specify MERGE.
Now that I'm reading it again, I see "polygon object which contains two polygon groups".
No noobie, like myself, is going to know that a MERGE is required to make that work. i have read and reread the "Help" instructions, The "Learn 3D with Cheetah 3D" book and the accompanying tutorial video.
NONE show or mention using Merge or grouping objects.

j

Bridging does not work in Version 7.2.1

2018 06 22: I'm using Cheetah3D Version 7.2.1 and have followed the instructions in the Help section for using the Bridge command to connect two polygons. I can't get it to work, and have tried different variants of the instructions. I'm pretty sure the feature is broken and there is no way to connect two polygons. Would be very glad to be told I'm wrong of course.

Just trying to connect two Boxes:
1. I make one the child of the other
2. I Merge them (Tools>Merge)
3. I make them Editable (Objects>Make Editable).
4. I select the Bridge tool (Tools>Polygon>Bridge).
5. In Point mode I select a corner for one.
6. However I then can't select a corner for the other without losing the selection for the first.

I will appreciate an answer on this that has been tested and proven to work... or just confirmation that it is a current bug, and that there is no current way to combine two polygons...

Welcome to the forum!

As Frank indicates it doesn't work on closed objects,
and it works best if the number of points match.

The obvious bugs have been found and squished.

Thank you - very glad to be corrected on this. So the steps I just verified are as follows - which I will suggest would make for more complete documentation for newish users:

Using at least Cheetah3D Version 7.2.1, as a quick proof for how to connect two polygons using the Bridge tool, try a simple test of connecting two square boxes to create a single rectangular box:
1. Add two Box polygons to your workspace, and separate them from each other just on the X axis.
2. Make both editable (Objects>Make Editable).
3. In Polygon mode, select(highlight) the side of one facing the other, and delete it.
4. Do the same on the side of the other facing the first.
5. Make one box the child of the other (in the right hand Inspector, in the Objects Pane, drag the icon for one beneath the other, so it becomes indented beneath it).
6. With the top one selected, Merge them (Tools>Merge). You will now see only one icon in the Inspector, in the Objects Pane.
7. Select the Bridge tool (Tools>Polygon>Bridge).
8. In Point mode, select one of the open corners for one.
9. Then select the corner for the other across from it, without losing the selection for the first.
10. The boxes will end up connecting from the one open side to the other - and effectively become a single continuous closed rectangular box.

Thanks again, and hope this is helpful for anyone else down the road.

Using at least Cheetah3D Version 7.2.1, as a quick proof for how to connect two polygons using the Bridge tool, try a simple test of connecting two square boxes to create a single rectangular box:
1. Add two Box polygons to your workspace, and separate them from each other just on the X axis.
2. Make both editable (Objects>Make Editable).
3. In Polygon mode, select(highlight) the side of one facing the other, and delete it.
4. Do the same on the side of the other facing the first.
5. no need for step 5
6. Select both and Merge them (Tools>Merge). You will now see only one icon in the Inspector, in the Objects Pane.
7. Select the Bridge tool (Tools>Polygon>Bridge).
8. in component mode, select one of the open corners for one.
9. Then select the corner for the other across from it,
10. The boxes will end up connecting from the one open side to the other - and effectively become a single continuous closed rectangular box.

Some unnecessary steps highlighted.

Cheers
Frank

I'm not sure the term "component" mode is helpful. Am I correct that is just an abstraction - that is not in the UI or in the documentation - for either Point Mode, Edge Mode, or Polygon Mode? There are always going to be new users, myself included, who will search for it, and not find it. The "Modes" section of the documentation does not use the word "component" and I could not find it elsewhere. Given the need to toggle "Make Editable", it is reasonable to think there actually could also be a "Component" Mode to toggle somewhere, in response to reading the term.

I recognize there may be other ways to apply the Merge, but was giving one very concrete illustration of steps to get the task done.

Appreciate very much though, to now be quibbling about a finer point about how to explain this feature to anyone new to it.

Yes you´re right in your workflow and got "component"-mode to the point right too.
I just use it as a shortcut for what takes longer whith Point Mode, Edge Mode, or Polygon Mode. Puh. :p

Cheers
Frank

I have managed to construct a golden exhaust tube by bridging 4 cylinders; if I can do it, anyone can!!!

Attachments

• pipe.jas.zip
    15.7 KB · Views: 205
Back