Cheetah3D 7.0 - Early Adopters Beta Test

Are there any features or file format changes that prevents a model written by the beta to open in the release version (apart from bugs obviously)?

Mainly the new render settings. The old camera tags are converted to the new render settings. Also some parameters here and there changed slightly.

In general v6 doesn't know anything about the new features in v7. Therefore it can't import these things.

Bye
Martin

Thank you, Martin :p

Attachments

• maxresdefault.jpg
    maxresdefault.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 1,170
Hi Martin
Flat design for the UI? Flat design was a trend, not anymore. Why use flat design in a 3D programme? Isnt that contradictio? If you stick to the flat, please cranck up the color contrast of the icons. My 50cts

Stop turn off render finished notification??

In Lights what is: MIS?

Mind blowing Booleans!!!

Last edited:
In Lights what is: MIS?

"Multiple Importance Sampling"is a method to improve the convergence speed in Falcon. It's best to keep it ON. I will explain that in the documentation. In the meanwhile google has quite some information about Multiple Importance Sampling.

You can turn off the Cheetah3D notifications in the OS X System preferences. There you can turn off the notifications of all applications individually.

Bye
Martin

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2016-05-02 um 17.58.11.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2016-05-02 um 17.58.11.png
    122 KB · Views: 1,140
Last edited:
Hi Martin
Flat design for the UI? Flat design was a trend, not anymore. Why use flat design in a 3D programme? Isnt that contradictio? If you stick to the flat, please cranck up the color contrast of the icons. My 50cts

Aqua which heavily used 3D, glossy reflections and drop shadows was actually the trend. Apple ended it with OS X 10.10 (Yosemite) and returned to a flatter UI like they originally had it. I think v7 fits pretty well in that current trend.

Bye
Martin

Hi,
first of all I'm really sorry for that pretty extreme delay of Cheetah3D 7.0. Since Cheetah3D is already a 15 years old project a big cleanup of the underlying architecture and a refresh of the UI was more than overdue. Thanks to that modernization work Cheetah3D 7 lost quite some weight (MBytes) while gaining lots of new features.

Since many users asked me to get access to the beta builds I'm happy to finally make the next step and start the Cheetah3D 7.0 Early Adopters Beta Test. I've picked that special form of public beta test since I want to increase the number of beta testers slowly. So a completely open beta test was no real option for me.

Although many features are already very mature there are still some open problems on which I have to work. So please don't forget that it's still beta software. But I'm optimistic that Cheetah3D 7.0 is now ready for a wider audience.

Since the documentation hasn't been updated yet the early adopter betas are mainly for adventurous Cheetah3D users who can't await to get their fingers on the new v7 features. I will update the documentation and sample files once I've finalized the UI.

New Features:
  • New renderer
  • NGon booleans
  • Movie textures
  • Soft selections
  • Collada import
  • Layers
  • Full OpenEXR 2 workflow
  • Big UI update
  • and much much more
The full Cheetah3D 7 feature list is way too long for this posting so I've added it to the .DMG file of the Beta version. Since the feature set hasn't been nailed down yet please be aware that things might still change.

License:
The Early Adopter Beta version already requires a Cheetah3D 7.x compatible registration number if you want to save your work. If you bought Cheetah3D 6.x after April 1st 2015 you have nothing to do since you already received a Cheetah3D 7.x compatible registration number (due to the Free Cheetah3D 7.0 Upgrade program).
If you purchased Cheetah3D before April 1st 2015 you can already Upgrade to Cheetah3D 7 by purchasing a Cheetah3D 6.x Upgrade which comes with a free Upgrade to Cheetah3D 7.x. That will also give you access to a Cheetah3D 7.x compatible registration number.

System requirements:
-64Bit Intel CPU
-OS X 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard) or newer

Attention:
THIS IS BETA SOFTWARE SO DON'T USE IT ON IMPORTANT DATA. CHEETAH3D 7 WILL CONVERT THE RENDER TAGS TO THE V7 RENDER PREFERENCES DURING IMPORT SO THE V7 GENERATED .JAS FILES ARE NOT 100% BACKWARD COMPATIBLE. V6 CAN'T LOAD THE V7 RENDER SETTINGS!!! SO PLEASE BE CAREFUL THAT YOU DON'T ACCIDENTALLY SAVE A SCENE WITH V7 IF YOU STILL WANT TO OPEN IT WITH V6.

Download link of Cheetah3D 7.0 Beta 13:
http://www.cheetah3d.com/download/Beta/Cheetah3D7.0b13.dmg

I hope you enjoy Cheetah3D 7.:smile:

Kind regards
Martin

Hello Martin, and THANKS for a wonderful program!

I am wondering if I will need to do anything when v7 is available... (?)
I purchased v6.x on 8/25/2013, and am now running v6.3.2, so I may have
upgraded at some point, but I am not sure if/when I did.
Will I need to purchase an upgrade to v7 when it becomes available,
or just download the upgrade at that time?

Thank you for your time

Hello Martin, and THANKS for a wonderful program!

I am wondering if I will need to do anything when v7 is available... (?)
I purchased v6.x on 8/25/2013, and am now running v6.3.2, so I may have
upgraded at some point, but I am not sure if/when I did.
Will I need to purchase an upgrade to v7 when it becomes available,
or just download the upgrade at that time?

Hi Albert,
I'm sorry but since 8/25/2013 is before April 1st 2015 you need to Upgrade to Cheetah3D 7. The free Upgrade is just for users who purchased after April 1st 2015.

You can test if your registration number is compatible with Cheetah3D 7. Just launch the Cheetah3D 7.0 Beta version. If it asks for a registration number you need the Upgrade. If it doesn't ask for the registration number you have nothing to do.

Bye
Martin

Really looking forward to kicking the tires on this. If we find any issues to report do you want us to post them here or do something else?

Hi,
if you are sure that it's a bug the please send it to me via email.

But if you are not 100% if it's a bug or if just something works differently then it's better if you post the problem here in the forum first. Maybe someone already knows the solution to the problem.

Bye
Martin

Beta Suggestion

Martin,

I have been really enjoying the Cheetah3D beta. I can see how much work you have put into the new version.

I was really excited to see the new features, but in the .dmg file, you mentioned a new "Basic Sculpt" tool. I tried it...and love it!! I did some sculpting on several primitive objects and it works really nicely. Is it possible to have an "edge detection" setting while sculpting? I will continue to 'play' with the other tools and do some creating!

Thanks,
Wilfred

Hi Martin,

Is the "Falcon" renderer a custom rendering engine or is this something that we can read about elsewhere online? I tried some initial google searches but didn't see anything that looked promising.

Cheers

Riding the Cheetah's motion blur

Downloaded. Serialized. First test, "flying blind" (sometimes I just like playing) I discover the "Falcon" renderer. Motion blur. YES. Thank you, Martin. Hopefully I'll find some bugs at some point :smile: but seriously it looks great.

Martin,

I have been really enjoying the Cheetah3D beta. I can see how much work you have put into the new version.

I was really excited to see the new features, but in the .dmg file, you mentioned a new "Basic Sculpt" tool. I tried it...and love it!! I did some sculpting on several primitive objects and it works really nicely. Is it possible to have an "edge detection" setting while sculpting? I will continue to 'play' with the other tools and do some creating!

Thanks,
Wilfred

Replaces the Magnet tool I think nice.

Wow! Very impressive, Martin! What a huge amount of work you've done! I can't wait to learn some of the new features, such as motion blur!

Wow thanks Martin for letting us try the beta! Looks good so far.

Where's the basic sculpt tool? I don't see one anywhere.

Sculpt

Wow thanks Martin for letting us try the beta! Looks good so far.

Where's the basic sculpt tool? I don't see one anywhere.

First make your object editable. Next go to the Tools menu > Polygon > Brush

On the right side you will see the tool palette with the brush options. Hope this helps.

First make your object editable. Next go to the Tools menu > Polygon > Brush

On the right side you will see the tool palette with the brush options. Hope this helps.

Ah nice!!! No idea how I missed that one. That's really a cool thing. Goodbye magnet, hello sculpt brush.

Thanks!

Back