3D orbit of a 3D model...

yes, I think you are right Alessandro.... I checked out the mesh view and its a dogs dinner... yuck...

take care..

D...;)

forget about it... ;)

(the meshes they create are such a mess of tris you'll be better -and quicker- starting from scratch the right way... imho)

cheers,
Alessandro

hi guys.. This web link has some very interesting stuff on it... might interest some of you... I put a donkey up on the upload your own model and it works.. but not as good as pdf... :wink:

http://www.javaview.de/

Destiny...

Does anyone have a Mac who has just done the latest download update and is having issues with Acrobat among other things...

Destiny...

webGL

Hi.. Its been a while and I have learnt heaps about interactive 3D since I started this thread. By far the easiest way is to use the 3D pdf, which uses the u3d format, but it has limitation with rendering but ok'ish and it will not go into a html file..

More recently I have been researching the webGL option. There are a few companies beginning to include the option of exporting to the webGL format so I was wondering if Cheetah had plans to do this in the future..

I have just tested out the Rhino option which I have had for years but I never really use it.. I found a free plug-in for it today, which is able to export to the webGL format but its not the best since it will only export a wire frame unless you use the paid rendering plug-in which is very expensive and the file size is way too big, but the quality is very nice when using high quality renders. They claim its for web use but I do not think so at about 48meg for some of them..

There are a lot of 3D modelling software apps available, such as the AutoCAD collection including Inventor which is amazing and I get to use it for free as long as I do not use it commercially...

I also like Modo but its a strange licence which I paid for and only last a year.. Thats no good so I will give that miss from now on.. There never seems to be the perfect 3D software but Cheetah is easy to use and very affordable. I really like it although I do not really understand how to use most of its features.. I only use 3D software on a very basic level to show my young students 3D shapes and twirl them around on the interactive whiteboard, which is why I liked the pdf option..

When I checked the new gallery today its not shabby at all.. There are some really nice rendered 3D models. I remember checking out Cheetah 10 years ago when I first graduated and thought it was ok but not great.. Now its just amazing..

So, does Cheetah have plans to export to the webGL formate..?? and since I am running Cheetah in demo mode, what is the jas output..?? I do not think it had dae output before I started this post, but that is handy... it really needs the u3d too to place into a 3D pdf...

Destiny

.jas is Cheetah's native file format - and it's only useful to Cheetah. I don't know what Martin's plans are for Web GL export in Cheetah. You may want to formally make that request in the wishlist forum here. And the same with the u3d format.

Hi.. Well that made me think... I did not know that was Cheetah's so when I saw this formate with Sophie 3D files I was able to open it in Cheetah to see it.. Its good to see Cheetah's 3D files being used in this manner....

At the moment I cannot get my head around the fact that flash is on its way out.. It might have issues but its still a great software app...

webGL will eventually take up some its slack with html5, but I have been playing with this format and found huge issues with this too....

Destiny..

.jas is Cheetah's native file format - and it's only useful to Cheetah. I don't know what Martin's plans are for Web GL export in Cheetah. You may want to formally make that request in the wishlist forum here. And the same with the u3d format.

Hotspots

Hi.. I have attached a Cheetah jas file.. When you open it, you can see "hotspot_1/ to _4..."

Can anyone tell me how these work and how to add a url to them.. Or is his done in an other app.....

Thank you..

Destiny..

Attachments

• 3DRoom-Hot-Spots.zip
    48.5 KB · Views: 473
Hi Frank.. Yes.. sorry, it is "hot points".. Getting tired.. ;(

I guess all kinds of people are using your software for unique uses..

Yes, I am guessing it is some kind of games coding but not sure...

Thank you for getting back so quick..

Destiny..

I read "hot points". ;)
My guess is it´s used inside a game engine (Unity e.g). Otherwise I´m clueless.

Cheers
Frank

Hi... Its taken a lot of ideas, testing and failures. But I am kind of there...

This is the Cheetah Marty interactive 3D.. Not the best since I think the file size might be too big.. With a Mac you need to click on the Open pdf after it downloads.. Give it a few seconds to load.. Then you can rotate Marty.. I am still testing to get it all working better.. My aim is to create a Planetarium for my Science unit.. With rotating planets..

http://members.westnet.com.au/dps/Marty/3DInteractiveCheetahMarty.pdf

Destiny..

Last edited:
It should work.. Click on the image to initiate it and then wait a second or two... Marty will arrive in a twirl and then you can rotate him...

Destiny..

I guess this works just in Adobe Reader? Just having the exotic plant in front of me.

Cheers
Frank

Last edited:
I think I am using ShowLeapard too.. 10.6.8.... It also works on our ratty old PC with Windows XP.. With my Mac I had to remove some old files from the Library to get any online pdf to work when they upgraded the last pdf reader... If you can read most pdf's from a download, then it should work... Not sure why.. With a Mac, you will see an icon at the bottom to open the pdf reader..

Destiny...

I´m still on SnowLeopard - so maybe there´s the rub.
I can´t get it to run in Safari nor preview.app - sorry.

Cheers
Frank

Attachments

• openinpdfreader.jpg
    openinpdfreader.jpg
    388.3 KB · Views: 338
Downloaded pdf to my desktop (Intel iMac 24" - 10.6.8). Opened in Acrobat Pro 10.1.4. 3d rotation worked as expected.

How did you get the 3d file into the pdf? Did you have to used Photoshop Extended? We are looking into putting some of these 3d type files in our support pdf's.

Thanks!

The info says "InDesign" - and as I mentioned it seems working just with AcrobatReader.

Attachments

• 3dPDF.jpg
    3dPDF.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 332
Last edited:
Back