Another pint, can it be done?

Another pint, can it be done?

My question is, can it be done? File attached. How is it possible to drain the glass of stout to the bottom of the glass around those curves? I used a straight glass and it worked fine. But it has to be this glass. I'm saying to the client it can't be done. (It will be on a white background in Photoshop with a mask). Am I barking up the wrong tree, or is it possible?

Cheers
Terry
PS. The boolean (mask) didn't work for me.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    191.3 KB · Views: 358
  • glass.jas.zip
    13.5 KB · Views: 256
You could do it with a boolean (one piece is the beer in the glass, the other is a block you animate that slowly removes the beer).

You seem to have a bit of a meniscus going on the head of the beer -- that might be REALLY hard to do.

If the glass were actually straight, but distorted by modifiers (bulge etc.) to have the desired shape, it all becomes pretty easy.

I just had a go using the boolean operator. The texture for the foam could be improved a bit, but the effect is convincing enough. I've attached the modified jas file and a (very compressed) mp4 of it rendered.

Cheers,
- Dean

Attachments

• glass_qzr.zip
    69.1 KB · Views: 272
I just had a go using the boolean operator. The texture for the foam could be improved a bit, but the effect is convincing enough. I've attached the modified jas file and a (very compressed) mp4 of it rendered.

Cheers,
- Dean

Amazing, Dean, thank you. God knows I tried, but the boolean wasn't working for me. I'll have to study your file and see where I was going wrong. I must say it can be so frustrating when you don't know, but a piece of cake when you do. Thanks again.

Terry

great solution, dean !

great solution, dean !

Thanks! It's a special moment for me, because it is my first time helping somebody on this forum instead of asking for help! I'm not much of an artist, but as an engineer, I'm in my comfort zone with boolean ;)

Cheers,
- Dean

Thanks! It's a special moment for me, because it is my first time helping somebody on this forum instead of asking for help! I'm not much of an artist, but as an engineer, I'm in my comfort zone with boolean ;)

Cheers,
- Dean

Well thanks again, Dean. If you ever need anything in the art department just let me know. I'm pretty much the opposite of an engineer, hence the boolean trouble. But like yourself I like to help whoever I can on the forum, a fine bunch of folks. :smile:

hey guys, after all those kind words and affectations it would be nice to meet at the pub and drain some of these pints :rolleyes:

Dean, excellent solution BTW, even in the ultra-compressed .mov :icon_thumbup:

Terry, please stop putting pints of Guinness everywhere... every time i look at the forum you get me soooo thirsty :tongue:

(friday night in europe)

...cheers,
Alessandro

Every time I look at the forum of late, I see pints of Guinness, bottles of spirits and glasses of wine... Am I missing something or is everybody really thirsty... :p

Nice rendering Terry I like the look of the foam on top. I think the only thing it's missing is those strange bubbles that seem to sink in a pint of Guinness..

Terry,

I hope it's not too late. If you don't want to bother with Boolean (We all know it leaves horrid slices), then try this:

I would suggest, if the liquid is a separate object, then make the glass invisible in the viewport, do a ringcut where you want the water to disappear.

Then go into front view and do an area select of the top portion. Delete. Then do a fill on the top.

Terry,

I hope it's not too late. If you don't want to bother with Boolean (We all know it leaves horrid slices), then try this:

I would suggest, if the liquid is a separate object, then make the glass invisible in the viewport, do a ringcut where you want the water to disappear.

Then go into front view and do an area select of the top portion. Delete. Then do a fill on the top.

Well, thanks again guys. But I'm hoping that's the last I see of that pint of Guinness which turned into a bit of a headache, if only it were vokda it would have made life so much easier. :smile:

Back