Bend

Bend

Can anyone please tell me how to bend a cylinder? This was made by cover and pull, not the bend modifier (as you can see by the imperfections) in Cheetah 5 or the bend script in Cheetah 4 (which I guess is the same thing). I have tried every which way to bend a pipe but no matter how hard I try it never even comes close, AT ALL. :confused: So I'm asking if anybody could please show me the settings that actually makes this thing work? I keep going back to this problem and it's been bugging me for months. Any help would be much appreciated. :confused:

TerryG

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    51.3 KB · Views: 377
  • Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    39.1 KB · Views: 376
You simple need to add more height-sections to your cylinder (it’s in the properties of the cylincer) and the bend-modifier will works as intended.

You simple need to add more height-sections to your cylinder (it’s in the properties of the cylincer) and the bend-modifier will works as intended.

Thank you so much Dranix. The big mystery finally solved. It's always those simple little things I miss. :icon_thumbup: :smile: :smile:

I had to try, too. My first try was a failure as for you ;) Sometimes you just don’t see the simple things right before your eyes - Seems to be a law of nature :)

I fell foul of the same thing. I use the ring cut though when I want more height sections and this reduces the excess of polygons along the whole shape.

I fell foul of the same thing. I use the ring cut though when I want more height sections and this reduces the excess of polygons along the whole shape.

Yes of course, that's a good idea, I'll remember that, thanks. I guess after doing 3D for years these things just fall into place. But for me (being somewhat of a new comer) there are still things that baffle me, scripts mostly. I'm fed up with asking about water so I just gave up, for the time being anyway.

Here the lathe way you won't get a sphereas soon as the center of lathe object is not the circle one... I'm a bit surprised with the editable result, irregular wireframe !

Sweeping a circle along an arc should work, unfortunately it seems that there isn't an easy way to get an arc...

I'm quite new with Cheetah, and I'm wondering why there isn't "Arc" in the spline menu, or even simply an item to create an empty spline,making people able to add points and then create a free shape (opened or closed). Of course, it's possible to choose a shape in the menu, then delete all points and then add new points...

Attachments

• Lathe.jpg
    Lathe.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 338
Here the lathe way you won't get a sphereas soon as the center of lathe object is not the circle one... I'm a bit surprised with the editable result, irregular wireframe !

Sweeping a circle along an arc should work, unfortunately it seems that there isn't an easy way to get an arc...

I'm quite new with Cheetah, and I'm wondering why there isn't "Arc" in the spline menu, or even simply an item to create an empty spline,making people able to add points and then create a free shape (opened or closed). Of course, it's possible to choose a shape in the menu, then delete all points and then add new points...

Fabby,

I don't know what you mean by empty spline, but you can create one from scratch. It is, of course, adding points to make the spline shape, but you can get to it under Tools > Spline > Create Spline. Afterwards, you can go back into that menu and make them soft or hard lines.

Looks great Fabby. Sorry to say I don't get it at all.:confused:

torus modeling x

i think for a simple bent pipe three boxes will do,
it gets more complicated with intersections, there you need 45 degree rotated boxes and manual subdividing because in each step two points need to be adjusted.

Bild 2.png
Bild 5.png

Last edited:
Maybe I don´t get the essence of this, but the "bend modifier" is pretty smart and using a torus (delete what you don´t want - fill hole the ends and "cover&move normal") turns out quite nicely.

Cheers
Frank

Attachments

• ChuckThePlumber.jpeg
    ChuckThePlumber.jpeg
    79 KB · Views: 298
Maybe I don´t get the essence of this, but the "bend modifier" is pretty smart and using a torus (delete what you don´t want - fill hole the ends and "cover&move normal") turns out quite nicely.

Cheers
Frank

The torus works well, Frank. Normally I just use cover/pull and do it by eye. But I guess that really depends on how perfect it has to be.

Back