Anyone fancy a pint?

Anyone fancy a pint?

Hi guys, just wondering if anybody has a good tip for this one? At the moment this is a solid object with reflective material, no glass. Okay, that can be changed of course, I'll make a real glass and fill it with stout. My problem is, I have to animate the stout going down as if it were drunk (glass standing still). If it was a straight glass I would have no problem. But since it's a Guinness type glass (and a little cartoony) it has a bulge. I can't figure out how to bring the stout down to the bottom of the glass? Even using a Morph I think would be impossible. Firstly you can't see through the glass on the screen, and secondly how will the polygons slide around that bulge? Any suggestions would be much appreciated. I honestly can't see an easy way around this. :confused:

Thanks
Terry

Attachments

• Guinness.jpg
    Guinness.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 261
Use the Boolean Intersect operator. Make a cube that completely envelops the glass, and then animate it sliding down to the bottom. Then setup a boolean to show the intersection of the stout and the cube. The effect will be that the stout will appear to draining.

If you want the foam to move down too, you can do something similar. Just use a 2nd cube, scaled much thinner and just above the main stout-cube. You will have to create a foam object that completely fills the glass, but only the part that intersects the thinned cube will show.

Attached is a quick movie of a cube moving through a sphere using intersection.

Hope this helps,
- Dean

Attachments

• Intersect.mov.zip
    13.4 KB · Views: 220
Use the Boolean Intersect operator. Make a cube that completely envelops the glass, and then animate it sliding down to the bottom. Then setup a boolean to show the intersection of the stout and the cube. The effect will be that the stout will appear to draining.

If you want the foam to move down too, you can do something similar. Just use a 2nd cube, scaled much thinner and just above the main stout-cube. You will have to create a foam object that completely fills the glass, but only the part that intersects the thinned cube will show.

Attached is a quick movie of a cube moving through a sphere using intersection.

Hope this helps,
- Dean

I did a quick test, Dean, and I think that might do the trick. I'll have to play around with it a bit more to get the right effect but I think you have the answer. Thank you very much. :)

Cheers
Terry

I think the hardest part is to get the material to stay in place while using the Boolean-creator - aside from some noticeable inconsistencies (color disparities) in the rendered animation.
I used a kind of glass mould and send a "stout" mesh through it while a glass object stays in place.

Cheers
Frank

Attachments

• ManAtStout.MOV.zip
    131.1 KB · Views: 214
I think the hardest part is to get the material to stay in place while using the Boolean-creator - aside from some noticeable inconsistencies (color disparities) in the rendered animation.
I used a kind of glass mould and send a "stout" mesh through it while a glass object stays in place.

Cheers
Frank

That's pretty cool Frank I must say. But I have a feeling I'll be sitting up all night trying to make this work, and in the end it won't. So I'm going to try for one more hour, after that I'll have to reply to the client, it just can't be done. I do not have years of experience to back me up and I waste so much time experimenting in the end it drives me nuts. On that note I will press on for 1 more hour. But thanks again. Terry

Back