Copy/Paste or Duplicate selected polygons from object

Copy/Paste or Duplicate selected polygons from object

Is there a way to copy or duplicate a group of selected polygons from an object?
Say I have a 5-legged table. I customize one leg, but want to replicate this 4 more times. I tried to select the polygons that make up the leg (area select) and try to copy/paste, but it copied the whole object. What can I use? I tried to use Array, Clone, Disconnect. Do I create a separate leg object? Can I create an object with the selected polygons?

[Update]

I used the Mirror Tool. My alignment didn't match, so I used the Optimize tool to remove unnecessary points(modify radius before hitting OK)

Last edited:
You want the "split" tool.

Select some polygons in a mesh, right-click and select "Split" (towards the bottom of the long menu), and now you have a new object comprising only the polygons you had selected.

Note: split (annoyingly) leaves the selected polygons in the original object. Sometimes this is a good thing, more often it isn't. A better default behavior would be to create the split object as a child, but remove the polygons from the original object. Then if you wanted the objects back you could import children.

Copy and Past of polygon selections is very high on my todo list. Even very close to the top position.:wink:

Kind regards,
Martin

Copy and Past of polygon selections is very high on my todo list. Even very close to the top position.:wink:

Kind regards,
Martin

Glad to hear it Martin. Is there also a way to copy/paste a skeleton and have its poses differ from the original model's so they can each be separated (right now they're blending into one even after renaming), but I'm looking into it...

Thanks.

Back