PNG vs TIFF vs Uncompressed - Video Export

PNG vs TIFF vs Uncompressed - Video Export

PNG vs TIFF vs Uncompressed - which one do you prefer for video export, and why?

Hi,
I personally prefer PNG. But unluckily all these codes are deprecated by Apple since Mavericks. So they are not very future proof.

With Cheetah3D 7.2 I plan to migrate form QTKit, which I currently use, to the modern AVFoundation Framework which supports codecs like ProRes. Although ProRes isn't lossless it's probably the route to go.

Bye
Martin

Hi,
I personally prefer PNG. But unluckily all these codes are deprecated by Apple since Mavericks. So they are not very future proof.

With Cheetah3D 7.2 I plan to migrate form QTKit, which I currently use, to the modern AVFoundation Framework which supports codecs like ProRes. Although ProRes isn't lossless it's probably the route to go.

Bye
Martin

Sounds great! I would love to use ProRes 4444.

That would be great to be able to export to ProRes. But currently we can export to Exr 16 / 32 bit so what's the point?

BTW if you plan on bringing your render into After Effects and your are not using exr, it is a good idea to convert your output to Tiff. Reason for that is Tiff require no real decompression and render and playback more quickly for previews in After Effects. True, the file sizes will be much much larger but performance will improve.

Storage size vs. performance gains can sometimes be a tough decision though.

That would be great to be able to export to ProRes. But currently we can export to Exr 16 / 32 bit so what's the point?

BTW if you plan on bringing your render into After Effects and your are not using exr, it is a good idea to convert your output to Tiff. Reason for that is Tiff require no real decompression and render and playback more quickly for previews in After Effects. True, the file sizes will be much much larger but performance will improve.

Storage size vs. performance gains can sometimes be a tough decision though.

What do you mean by "Exr"? I don't see a "Exr"-option when exporting...?

What do you mean by "Exr"? I don't see a "Exr"-option when exporting...?
You´ll need first to enable the G-Buffer option in the renderer to do so:

Cheers
Frank

Attachments

• g-buffer.png
    g-buffer.png
    67.9 KB · Views: 303
Well lots of image file formats support photoshop like stuff if you want (e.g. PNG is hugely extensible; Fireworks used to save its files as PNGs)

The big takeaway from EXR is it supports greater dynamic range (like RAW and some exotic TIFF options and the new JPEG variant the iPhone uses). Unlike RAW it’s not storing camera sensor data so it won’t have weird processing requirements to de-mosaic the image.

But currently we can export to Exr 16 / 32 bit so what's the point?

Hi pegot,

how do you get the Exr sequence from the render folder into a movie clip?

To my knowledge the export options use only the 8-bit Png files.

I always need to do batch processing via photoshop which is kinda tedious.

how do you get the Exr sequence from the render folder into a movie clip?
Frank posted a screen shot on first page of this thread. Just enable "Save G buffer" in render tab properties. Cheetah will then output both PNG and Exr.

Then just import the exr sequence into After Effects or another compositor.

Then just import the exr sequence into After Effects or another compositor.

Thanks pegot,

I don't own After effects or similar.
I have Final Cut Pro, which apparently doesn't import exr sequences (probably I need Compressor for that).
So currently Photoshop batch processing is my only way.

I think the implementation of higher color depths via EXR in Cheetah is not optimal because this requires special software to utilize.

In After Effects you would set your comp to work in either 16 or 32bit mode. And usually also set it to linerized color. Aside from expanded color correction and green screening flexibility, you also get a wider range of values so things like gradients, blurs, and glows look fantastic.

But when it comes time to export you usually output to your final delivery format, which for me is h264 as mp4 which is of course 8bit. You can also export to ProRes or DNX if you were going to do further compositing or editing with the sequence in another program but even those formats only support 10bit.

Note that in After Effects there also an option to "render at Maximum Bit Depth" which slows down the rendering a bit but can help with output quality - I guess when exporting to ProRes or DNX?

I have Final Cut Pro, which apparently doesn't import exr sequences (probably I need Compressor for that)
Compressor has nothing to do with it but Final Cut might just require a plugin in order to recognize the format. After Effects has for years come with such a plugin. There may be low cost or open source options available if you do some searching.

As for Exr itself and the G buffer output options, those are a big standard in the animation industry and gives Cheetah 3d some much needed feature parity with most other programs and is I think one of the great export additions to V7.

ProRes 4444 is 12 bit and ProRes HQ is 10 bit so I guess Final Cut Pro works 12 bit internally.

Definitely I would welcome ProRes export in Cheetah.

In Blender I can choose 8 or 16 bit PNG output.
Quicktime Pro handles 16 bit PNG and exports to ProRes.

Video codecs really are a PITA (and always have been, remember interlaced video?).

Just to clear up things:
I own a license for Photoshop CS4 but don't want a monthly Adobe Cloud subscription for newer versions (Apparently that would grant me access to After Effects too).

So I'm interested in a 16 (12) bit video workflow Cheetah > (Quicktime Pro) > Final Cut Pro.
ProRes would do, ProEXR does not.

(I just checked on Apple's site: Compressor.app (55,- €) imports EXR image sequences).

Back