FBX export

FBX export

Hi guys,

Working in Cheetah 6.3.2

Im trying to export an animation as FBX to import later in hitfilm pro 2017, but I'm quite unsuccesful... (reïmported saved fbx files also lack animation, even while it's enabeled in the preferences, so the export seems to be failing)

I know im missing something super obvious...

All help is wildly appreciated! :D

Filip

We know FBX export works because it works in unity so perhaps the problem is at the other end? Might it be related to takes?

if I save (or export) a scene as fbx and open a new cheetah file and import the same file, all animation is lost...

So I would presume I'm doing something wrong in cheetah???

Edit: I indeed suspect a problem with the takes... adding a new take gave some rusult... I digg deeper...

Last edited:
Hi guys,

Working in Cheetah 6.3.2

Im trying to export an animation as FBX to import later in hitfilm pro 2017, but I'm quite unsuccesful... (reïmported saved fbx files also lack animation, even while it's enabeled in the preferences, so the export seems to be failing)

I know im missing something super obvious...

All help is wildly appreciated! :D

Filip

Filip. I don't work in animations, but a few thoughts that may help :

1. Have you tried changing any of the preferences in the fbx exporter ? e.g version number etc.

2. Have you tried exporting the file in a format other than fbx ?

3. Have you tried using the v17 beta to see if this makes a difference ?

4. If you send me the file I can try to import it in Cinema 4d 15/16, and also Lightwave 3D 2105.

Hi Filip,
what type of animation do you have in your scene? F-Curves, Vertex, Constraints, etc.

I ask that since not all types of animation are exported to FBX.

Bye
Martin

Hi guys,

long over due, but I gave up on my earlier attempts...:redface:

Now i'm trying again and it seems like only the first take gets considered in Hitfilm or something...
could it be that the FBX exporter adds a take? (sorry, weirdly put, but if i remove all but one, after reimport i end up with an extra "take 0" and I guess this is where the problems occur, but I might be completely wrong...

Anybody any succes on Importing cheeta's FBX into Hitfilm?

Thanks,
Filip

Last edited:
Hi Filip,
what type of animation do you have in your scene? F-Curves, Vertex, Constraints, etc.

I ask that since not all types of animation are exported to FBX.

Bye
Martin

just moving objects and/or skeletal character animation; anything would be helpful... i'm trying to find a way of attaching the effects of hitfilm on animated objects...
like smoke or jetfire from exhausts, ...

Last edited:
Hi Martin,

I just used the alien walk file as a test file. Baked the IK and exported as FBX. (FBX attached)

Then imported the FBX file into cheetah to test and it worked.

Next imported into Hitfilm and all I get is the model with no animation
...or i just get the "Take 0" animation (which is no animation); see duration of the animation in hitfilm is 1 sec, same as take 0, while the walk is 4 sec...

I also found no other way to select the walk in hitfilm... and I guess this is where the problem is situated...

Can anybody provide another (non cheetah) animated FBX-file which I can test with?

Thanks in advance!
Filip

(my apologies for being a bit dumb/pigheaded, I feel I'm missing the obvious...:redface: and to clarify, I'm pretty sure the cheetah export works just fine, it's me messing around...)

Attachments

• Alien walk.zip
    367.3 KB · Views: 256
  • Schermafbeelding 2017-11-17 om 16.53.04.png
    Schermafbeelding 2017-11-17 om 16.53.04.png
    13 KB · Views: 279
  • Schermafbeelding 2017-11-17 om 17.00.32.png
    Schermafbeelding 2017-11-17 om 17.00.32.png
    158.3 KB · Views: 301
Hi filip c!,

I created a very basic animation in MODO 11 and then exported the file out as two different fbx options. One is a 2013 and the other is a 2015. Let me know if there was something else you wanted to test though. I don't know much about animation MODO since I’m still learning how to use it.

Attachments

• Box Ani Test.zip
    22.5 KB · Views: 238
Hi guys,

I knew my brain was messing with me...
just had to delete the first take... and voila, solved!
(another thread here made me realize)

I lost hours over this, I feel so silly!
So sorry for wasting anybody's time...:redface::redface::redface:

Filip

Hi filip c!,

I created a very basic animation in MODO 11 and then exported the file out as two different fbx options. One is a 2013 and the other is a 2015. Let me know if there was something else you wanted to test though. I don't know much about animation MODO since I’m still learning how to use it.

Thanks so much!!!:icon_thumbup:

Yeah, glad you figured it out! I must have been posting my response at the same time you were.

😊 Thanks Swizl!
Its weird that sometimes one can miss the obvious.
Thanks to all the patient and helpfull people like yourself, this forum rocks!!!

Have a nice day, I will!

A very gratefull me,
Filip

Back