Delete / replace multiple materials

Delete / replace multiple materials

Hi all -

I have a number of objects in my model that have a material attached, I would like to replace that material with a new material. I understand how to select multiple objects and drop a material on to them all at once, but how do I select multiple objects and delete the unwanted materials in one hit, rather than individually? Or is there a way to select the objects and replace the materials?

Cheers,
Rob

Deleting from the material browser won´t work for you?
If you want to keep the material maybe "cut" it and paste it back; all assignments are gone of course.
Edit: has it really to be a new material or would make it sense to just edit its properties?

Cheers
Frank

Last edited:
* You can delete all nodes in the node editor for a selected material and start from scratch defining a new shader plus any additional nodes required. This will then be applied to any objects which currently carry the particular material.
* Rename the modified (or newly defined) material and save for future use.

Hi Frank / Helmut

There are a lot of objects with the same material but I need to change some of these objects materials, if you see what I mean

Cheers
Rob

* I am not sure about any side effects :confused:
* Select the objects which need a different material.
* Apply new material to the selection in the object browser.
* The “old” material remains but the “new” material seems to be applied.
* Objects which you have not selected are not affected.

I'm trying to find out how to delete a material from the Materials folder in Cheetah 3D. I can't seem to find the Cheetah Materials folder at all!
Any help would be much appreciated!

Hey Frank, thanks for the quick reply.
I know the files are in the Cheetah 3D Materials folder since I save them there and can see the path:
30733-642bdef19a56165586f522c3df2b8c24.jpg

...but, I don't see a Library folder from my User folder:

30734-7a733e07ec67b8fe79b6d479dcdf5b9e.jpg

I just happen to try the "Go to Folder" in the Go drop down and the Library was there:
30735-80dca2cc673a750c545997fc67cd52d7.jpg

So I guess I can only get to the correct folder using the "~/Library" command in the Go dropdown.
Is that normal?

Yes - Apple is hiding the folder from you for a good reason -------- nahhhhh! :p
I believe holding the shift-key and Go To will alter the menu entries and make the Library folder visible. I have it always visible - but can´t remember how I did it. Mayby like so: Unhide Library folder

Cheers
Frank

Last edited:
Back