3D orbit of a 3D model...

3D orbit of a 3D model...

Hi.. Just registered so sorry, I cannot read everything here... Just a quick question.. Does Cheetah export so the model can be rotated in 3D orbit free space by the user when uploaded as fully rendered model.... ?? I do not need it to animate just spin and rotate and if possible to scale zoom too..

To add.... I just tried to download the latest version but it keeps failing.. One thing about a trial version, I do not buy if I cannot trail it ALL out.. I think if a water mark was put into anything saved it would be better and then removed after purchase. I often buy software only to find out that it doesn't perform to expectations.. So now I only buy if I can test all the functions..

It looks like Cheetah can export a mtl file but I cannot find out if it can import a mtl file.... and because I am using a trial version, I cannot test to see..

Destiny

Last edited:
Mmmh - I guess I´m not getting what you want. Feature list is here: http://www.cheetah3d.com/about_5.php
Cheetah3d exports to different file types, including animation.
YOu can export a model as Collada file which can be opened by preview app. If you want to create some Quicktime VR stuff I can lead you to some threads we have here in the forum.

Cheers
Frank

Hi,
Hi.. Just registered so sorry, I cannot read everything here...
Maybe ... but the forum "Search" function can help you ... :wink:

Does Cheetah export so the model can be rotated in 3D orbit free space by the user when uploaded as fully rendered model.... ?? I do not need it to animate just spin and rotate and if possible to scale zoom too..
????
You need to clarify your question.
"...export the model ... " with which format ?
"...can be rotated in 3D orbit free space by the user ... " in which application ?
"... uploaded as fully rendered model ..." uploaded where ? Cheetah3D produces rendered images or animations (movies/sequence of images)
if you import a model in Cheetah3D, you can spin/rotate/zoom in the 3D preview window

I just tried to download the latest version but it keeps failing.. One thing about a trial version, I do not buy if I cannot trail it ALL out.. I think if a water mark was put into anything saved it would be better and then removed after purchase. I often buy software only to find out that it doesn't perform to expectations.. So now I only buy if I can test all the functions..
The only thing you cannot do is to save your model. I can assure you, like all the other Cheetah3D users, that the save function works once you are registered !
I suggest that you, at least, read the Quick start manual

Edit : just saw Frank's comments ...
Hopefully this will help a little more

Last edited:
Hi, thank you so much for responding... I did some searching but couldn't find what I was looking for.. Well, what I am trying to do is find a program where I can import a model that has been laser scanned where a mtl texture has been create along with the high def 3D model... This will be used for showcasing artefacts and museum pieces ets... Its Ming told me that Cheetah might do this.. but he was not sure.. I did some searching but couldn't find what I wanted.. Its a bit like Rotate VR but I want to do this in swf or java so anyone can spin and rotate the object... emm.. I tried to export the mtl file but where do I do that... I need to make sure it does this... Yes I did a search thank you but since my needs are a bit out of the ordinary, there wasn't anything there.. Its Ming only suggested I try to see if your software will do what I want.. Its Ming only suggested I try to see if your software will do what I want.. Thank you for all your help anyway.. I will try to download the latest version again.. it keeps stopping for some reason..Some software does thing that it was never really designed to be used for.. I was hoping that Cheetah was one of them... Destiny

Maybe ... but the forum "Search" function can help you ... :wink:
Hi,
????
You need to clarify your question.
"...export the model ... " with which format ?
"...can be rotated in 3D orbit free space by the user ... " in which application

"... uploaded as fully rendered model ..." uploaded where ? Cheetah3D produces rendered images or animations (movies/sequence of images)
if you import a model in Cheetah3D, you can spin/rotate/zoom in the 3D preview window

The only thing you cannot do is to save your model. I can assure you, like all the other Cheetah3D users, that the save function works once you are registered !

I suggest that you, at least, read the Quick start manual
Yes I did thank you but since my needs are a bit out of the ordinary, there wasn't anything there.. Its Ming only suggested I try to see if your software will do what I want..

Edit : just saw Frank's comments ...
Hopefully this will help a little more

Last edited:
Hi Alessandro.. its sound like you understand what I am wanting to do but this link opened strange things on my Mac... Not sure what it was...

Its not easy to find a way to showcase a 3D model without buying very expensive software.. Cult3D was just great but that requires expensive software to export it.. Like Max... But thats got me thinking.........
Problem with some software it requires a player that has to be downloaded.. Most people do not like to download players that do not know.... I think java is the way to go but oh hum.. how... ??

http://www.3dsom.com/

This is link take you to a new way to create a 3D model.. you dan still take the image, with the texture and import it into cheetah and then animate it... BUT.. I have just bought the Mac version since the Windows version kept crashing.. The problem with this program, you cannot import an object... but you can export one.. I think this is very exciting but needs more work.... This is why I am going to go the laser way... expensive but much better... but I need to work out to showcase the 3D model in an interactive way rather then just make it turn via animation...

Destiny...

Hi destiny,

check this script too... http://www.cheetah3d.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6678

cheers,
Alessandro

As I mentioned in my first reply: Export to Collada´s dae file format and open with preview.app.
I attached an example from the example folde which can be downloaded from the Cheetah3d website:

Download, unzip and doubleclick to open with preview.app. You can now inspect the model from every angle, zoom/scroll.

Cheers
Frank

Attachments

• Pig.dae.zip
    226.8 KB · Views: 1,499
Hi, thank you so much for responding... I did some searching but couldn't find what I was looking for.. Well, what I am trying to do is find a program where I can import a model that has been laser scanned where a mtl texture has been create along with the high def 3D model... This will be used for showcasing artefacts and museum pieces ets... Its Ming told me that Cheetah might do this.. but he was not sure.. I did some searching but couldn't find what I wanted.. Its a bit like Rotate VR but I want to do this in swf or java so anyone can spin and rotate the object... emm.. I tried to export the mtl file but where do I do that... I need to make sure it does this... Yes I did a search thank you but since my needs are a bit out of the ordinary, there wasn't anything there.. Its Ming only suggested I try to see if your software will do what I want.. Its Ming only suggested I try to see if your software will do what I want.. Thank you for all your help anyway.. I will try to download the latest version again.. it keeps stopping for some reason..Some software does thing that it was never really designed to be used for.. I was hoping that Cheetah was one of them... Destiny

What is the program used for 3D scanning ? DavidLaserScan ? Do you have a cloud of points + texture or already polygons+texture (a .obj + a .mtl file ) ?

"...so anyone can spin and rotate the object ..."
With a web browser ? On a PC/Mac with a dedicated standalone application ?

OH wow, thats want I am wanting... So now I am confused.. does this mean that Cheetah can export Collada´s dae file format.. I have never hear of it..

Very exciting!!!!

Destiny

As I mentioned in my first reply: Export to Collada´s dae file format and open with preview.app.
I attached an example from the example folde which can be downloaded from the Cheetah3d website:

Download, unzip and doubleclick to open with preview.app. You can now inspect the model from every angle, zoom/scroll.

Cheers
Frank

no, not the DavidLaserScan... I do not think this is right for me...

I am thinking of buying the http://www.nextengine.com/

There are other scanner that sit on top of a SLR camera which takes the image and scans at the same time.... very exciting...

Destiny

What is the program used for 3D scanning ? DavidLaserScan ? Do you have a cloud of points + texture or already polygons+texture (a .obj + a .mtl file ) ?

"...so anyone can spin and rotate the object ..."
With a web browser ? On a PC/Mac with a dedicated standalone application ?

Well it opened and did what I wanted on my Mac but not the PC.. its just opened code.. so what did we do wrong.. does the PC need a player... ??

Destiny..

Cheers
Frank

Well it opened and did what I wanted on my Mac but not the PC.. its just opened code.. so what did we do wrong.. does the PC need a player... ??

Destiny..

Oh my dear - Preview.app is built into MacOSX - sorry I don´t know what´s up on the Window´s side. :redface:

will not work on Windows 7 either so is this a Mac player thing..... or does it work on both Mac and PC... Not sure how to put the player on my PC..... I did not even know it was on my Mac... good old Mac...

Just when I thought I was making progress....

Destiny...

Cheers
Frank

aaaaaaaaaaaarrrr... sooo sad.. now what do I do.. back to the begining.. Thank you so much for all your help.... almost but not quite.....:(

Destiny

Oh my dear - Preview.app is built into MacOSX - sorry I don´t know what´s up on the Window´s side. :redface:

oh why can't everyone own a Mac then we wouldn't have all these issues... with silly Windows... My Mac never crashes, never let me down and works wonderfully... and...... my models would work too.. but not in Windows.... :?

Destiny...

Why does it has to be interactive?
I mean you can render a turntable or whatever you like and export it to a Quicktime movie which will run on Windows either.

Because its not what the client wants... they want to be able to turn and twist and zoom... To just rotate can be done very easy but so many people can do this so they ask me to do something different... I have Maya, Max and other programs to do this... Its just a matter of setting the last key from 360 with say 36 images sequences... I can do multiple rows and put them into Object 2VR but still not good enough... Client wants the pig animation type... Some of the object to scan are hundreds of years old.. Scientist all over the word will look at the model and want to take a screen shot of a particular area of the model.... If I cannot work it out I will lose the job.... I will gladly buy Cheetah if it does what i want but I have bought so many programs to try this but they do not work.. I might have to buy the 3dsom software but thats very expensive and the trial, like most trials will not allow me to find test it out.. I have asked but no response...

Destiny

Why does it has to be interactive?
I mean you can render a turntable or whatever you like and export it to a Quicktime movie which will run on Windows either.

Back