state node: displacement input channel

state node: displacement input channel

It would be awesome if materials could "talk" to the displacement modifier.

it would also be awesome if displacement was actually a material property like in many other applications where you can choose between (or combine) bump and displacement.

I second this request... very nice and useful! it would be another great step forward (C3.5D... if you see what I mean :tongue: or zC3D if you prefer)

Displacement mapping will become a material property as archi proposed. For that purpose I will implement sub-polygon displacement mapping to the renderer.

Bye,
Martin

Hey Martin,
thank you so much for that!
it seems like we're in some kind of a wish-list-state-of grace lately... let's take advantage of that :rolleyes:

Yes, it would really be great to have the displacement as part of the material system.

But IF thats not going to happen soon, how about the ability to at least transform (offset, scale, rotate) the displacement map from within the displacement modifier? That way it can match material's transforms.

I've included a couple of images to show an example of where its needed.
Thanks!
--Shift Studio.

p.s. if anyone has a work-around for the time being, please post it.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 535
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 528
Hi,
I've added some more UV related properties to the displacement modifier in v7 Beta 18.

Might help to shorten the time until I've added displacement mapping to the renderer.

Bye
Martin

Attachments

• Cheetah3DScreenSnapz001.png
    Cheetah3DScreenSnapz001.png
    32.9 KB · Views: 448
Thanks for adding this Martin. Looking forward to trying it.
Looking even more forward to the day when displacement mapping can be used with renderer.

^^ bump 2018 ^^

checking for any updates regarding displacement becoming part of the the material system/added at render time.

Thanks for any news.
--shift studio.

Material as a displacement map

I'm looking for a way to use a material as a displacement map. This would be useful when animating a material using DEM files. I found this thread and hope there might be some interest - looking for the same "linking" between displacements and materials. Any info on this process would be most welcome.

TIA
Jeff

Back