Cheetah Mouse Lag

Cheetah Mouse Lag

I have been using Cheetah3D for years and never had an issue until recently. I have been away for about 6 months or so during the winter and when I came back I updated the MacOS and bought the Cheetah 7 upgrade from 6.

I am not sure if it was a MacOS update or the new Cheetah 7 update but my mouse clicks have way too much lag. Most of the time it is manageable. It seems to only be a big issue for me when drawing a new polygon.

I realize my iMac is aging, but I have the same problem with my brand new MacBook Pro. Not to mention what I use cheetah for is very low poly counts. I have input lag in new empty scenes. Again, only when creating new polygons.

I am pulling my hair out here. Extreme frustration does not even begin to cover it.

I am not sure if this fixable, or if it is even a Cheetah problem. I guess the only question is can I roll back to version 6? And if I do, is it going to break all of my current projects?

I am not sure if it was a MacOS update or the new Cheetah 7 update but my mouse clicks have way too much lag. Most of the time it is manageable. It seems to only be a big issue for me when drawing a new polygon.

I realize my iMac is aging, but I have the same problem with my brand new MacBook Pro. Not to mention what I use cheetah for is very low poly counts. I have input lag in new empty scenes. Again, only when creating new polygons.

Sounds strange to me using a 2011 iMac with the latest macOS and Cheetah3d release. No lag here.
I guess you have been already at the new system's mouse preferences? And you're saying the new macOS + Cheetah3d version 6 are not showing this issue?

Cheers
Frank

This is a shot in the dark...

Is your mouse pointer size set to be bigger than 'Normal'?
You can find this in System Preferences/Accessibility/Display/Cursor size.

I had a similar sounding issue once and changing the cursor size to normal fixed it.

--shift studio.

Hi

If the pointer size is not the problem ...

Do you have some software running in the background? Which could be really slowing down your computers?

If not, do you use a standard apple mouse or some 3rd party product? Drivers really can create problems (I once had a driver for a printer which would grab all system resources on a pc, for example. For opening a window you had to wait some 20 minutes. I probably could fill a book about it).

Thank you for the tips gents. I do appreciate it.

I looked into all of them and sadly I had no luck. My new MacBook Pro has nothing extra running. (I mean, I have other programs installed, but none of them are running when I am testing this.) I also watched the Activity Monitor for resource spikes in all categories and saw nothing out of the ordinary.

I did have SOME luck though. It turns out that the new MacOS’s do not like Logitech wireless mice. Why that is I can not say. I had no third party drivers installed, but I guess it’s common enough that a quick search shows multiple people with the same issue. An issue with no fix since Sierra. I bought a bluetooth mouse and it seems to be better. The mouse lag is still there, but most people would not notice I am sure. It’s fine for browsing and tweeting. Lets face it, that is 99% of Apples customer base. I mean who would use a Mac for art and design work right?

New Apple philosophy rant aside, I still have massive lag drawing new polygons. Even with the new bluetooth mouse on the new 2017 MacBook Pro. It not only lags, but I am even having an issue with the new polygons are not closing like they used to. I seem to have a 50-50 success rate drawing a new polygon.

E.g.; I make a square polygon out of four mouse clicks. The last mouse click snaps to the first point. The point is there. The last line is there so I know the click registered, it just won’t close. If I am drawing a new polygon on an open mesh, I will often have to change the order of my mouse clicks to get the polygon to close. These are clean low poly boxes, there would be no reason for more than one vertex to share the same space.

I thought maybe it’s these new retina displays causing the issue. With the pixel densities of these new screens it might just be creating a point so close the the first that they seem to be sharing the same space. That does not make sense either though as when I click back to the first point to close the polygon I make sure my mouse cursor is off center to see the highlight. The new line goes to the first point, not a new point off center where the mouse cursor is.

I don’t know…
All I know is my work flow is pretty much down the toilet now. The only thing I can do is roll back my iMac to ElCapitan just to see if I have the same issue. It might be worth it to test if I am having issues with Cheetah 7, or the new MacOS. I am just dreading that entire process…

Thank you for the tips gents. I do appreciate it.

I looked into all of them and sadly I had no luck. My new MacBook Pro has nothing extra running. (I mean, I have other programs installed, but none of them are running when I am testing this.) I also watched the Activity Monitor for resource spikes in all categories and saw nothing out of the ordinary.

I did have SOME luck though. It turns out that the new MacOS’s do not like Logitech wireless mice. Why that is I can not say. I had no third party drivers installed, but I guess it’s common enough that a quick search shows multiple people with the same issue. An issue with no fix since Sierra. I bought a bluetooth mouse and it seems to be better. The mouse lag is still there, but most people would not notice I am sure. It’s fine for browsing and tweeting. Lets face it, that is 99% of Apples customer base. I mean who would use a Mac for art and design work right?

New Apple philosophy rant aside, I still have massive lag drawing new polygons. Even with the new bluetooth mouse on the new 2017 MacBook Pro. It not only lags, but I am even having an issue with the new polygons are not closing like they used to. I seem to have a 50-50 success rate drawing a new polygon.

E.g.; I make a square polygon out of four mouse clicks. The last mouse click snaps to the first point. The point is there. The last line is there so I know the click registered, it just won’t close. If I am drawing a new polygon on an open mesh, I will often have to change the order of my mouse clicks to get the polygon to close. These are clean low poly boxes, there would be no reason for more than one vertex to share the same space.

I thought maybe it’s these new retina displays causing the issue. With the pixel densities of these new screens it might just be creating a point so close the the first that they seem to be sharing the same space. That does not make sense either though as when I click back to the first point to close the polygon I make sure my mouse cursor is off center to see the highlight. The new line goes to the first point, not a new point off center where the mouse cursor is.

I don’t know…
All I know is my work flow is pretty much down the toilet now. The only thing I can do is roll back my iMac to ElCapitan just to see if I have the same issue. It might be worth it to test if I am having issues with Cheetah 7, or the new MacOS. I am just dreading that entire process…

You may want to create a new user account to test and see if it may be a user preference file causing the problem. It may be good to reboot into recovery mode too and run disk utility to see if it might fix any problems. A third option is to use the free Utility Onyx. It can do a lot of clean up and fixes on the OS. https://www.titanium-software.fr/en/onyx.html Sorry you're having this problem. I know it can be frustrating when trying to work.

Edit:
Do you have any external hard drives or other devices near your computer? They can cause interference with radio signals (Bluetooth).

Last edited:
All I know is my work flow is pretty much down the toilet now

I don't really believe that it would help, but try the newest beta of v7.

Just to note: Lots of people here use v7 and high sierra on retinas. Nobody has this issue. Never encountered something similar.

I fully understand I may be the only one having this issue. I still have the issue though. An issue I did not have before the OS and Cheetah upgrade.

Just so people don't think I am crazy I made a quick vid here...
https://youtu.be/CRUn6A7Oy1E
This was the same iMac with the same mouse.

I know that is an extreme example. I generally do not click that fast, but I do click fast enough to where it does not register. Or worse still, it registers but does not close the polygon. That is the more frustrating part. Also, the latency I feel with mouse clicks is not something you will see in the vid but is there.

The overall latency I had with the Mac OS was muted somewhat by using the new mouse. I am not sure most people would notice this latency. If you are some one who has ever played a computer game with a mouse and knows the difference between using v-sync or not on a twitched based shooter, you would feel this.

The Cheetah polygon latency is something that anyone would notice.

Anyway, when I get a chance I will download and re-install a fresh copy of El Capitan and post back here with what I find. It might be a while though. That's a big time sink.

Thanks again for all of the ideas and help.

well, thats not acceptable - watched your vid.

one more shot in the dark from me. In System Preferences/Display, do you have your resolution 'Default for display', or 'Scaled'? If it is 'Scaled', which one is it?
I think options other than 'Larger Text' or 'More Space' may possibly be an issue.
Truly a shot in the dark though.

good luck! and sorry for your frustration.

Shift Studio.

Last edited:
Strange thing is, two computers have the same behaviour.

If it was a windows-pc, I'd say it's a virus (or the scanner). Even with a mac, a check wouldn't hurt.

I've the same lag when clicking this fast as you do in your video!
But Polygon closes as expected. No other lags found yet.

Using i5/2011 C3DV7.2 / Yosemite

@Shift:
Both machines are set to “Default for display”. Just now I tried changing the setting to “scaled” and tried every sub option in Cheetah on my MacBook. Unfortunately no change. Thank you for the suggestions though, I am willing to try anything at this point.

@Hasdrubal:
That’s what gets me as well. If it was just my iMac I would chalk it up to a bad OS update. I had that happen to my previous MacBook. It was really wonky after an OS update, but corrected itself with a fresh OS install. This MacBook Pro is pretty much out of the box new. I guess I could have just received a lemon? With my luck, that is a definite possibility.

@3DSimulant:
Thank you kind sir! I normally don’t click like a crazy person when drawing, but once I get in the grove I do work fast. The latency is just frustrating. Thank you for letting me know I am not the only one out there with this. Maybe I will just have to learn to live with it.

Doing all of this testing I did find that I don’t have the polygon closing issue on my MacBook. I have the latency while drawing polygons, but they seem to close when I want them to.

Another thing I just thought of…
I have my old iMac Magic Mouse floating around somewhere. Probably still in the original plastic bag. Maybe my Mac’s do not like this new mouse either…

I am still going to do a fresh OS install on my iMac. Hopefully I can get to it this weekend.

Thank you all.

By George I think I got it!

I just finished my fresh install of El Capitan... I got my iMac back Jack!:icon_thumbup:

Wow, what a difference. Maybe I had a bad install of High Sierra, but I am not going to try it again. What bothers me more than anything is my shiny new MacBook Pro runs like garbage out of the box. It's a good thing my employer bought this for me, because if I paid for it, it would be going back for a refund. This thing is a paper weight as far as I am concerned.

I have not tried Cheetah yet as I just finished all of the OS updates, but I have high hopes. I could tell the difference in the OS instantly.

Anyway, I am stoked! I can actually use my iMac again. No more mouse latency. V-sync is off my friends!

Ok ok, enough jibber jabber, I have to be up for work in 5 hours.

Back