Rose Quartz

Rose Quartz

After dragging out my file which has sat on the shelf for over a year I’m
inspired to try some different avenues than I tried previous.. .
so I set about to try one for time . . . one more time . . . one more time . . . etc.

I forgot to change to 7.0b26 thus I was using the Falcon renderer with 7.2.1
Although I prefer being able to use caustics for glass type materials I fear that in the future
I will no longer be able to use them. My thoughts are not written in stone . . .
I always try to be objective and listen to all advise.

I just thought of trying a Displacement modifier for a rough uncut gem effect.
I’m going to try to find an image of a rugged rock and
photoshop it into a black & white image to use as Displacement image.

I tried to alter archie’s goldglass matt.
I tried altering it so the transparent areas didn't have the black highlights and
the gold looks like white bump mapped highlights.

Yesterday I tried altering the color of archie's colorglass2 to a pink version of it.
I would like a light or medium Light pink color - with a translucent rough cut crystal Rose Quartz type material.
I added a Render tag with Visible in Refractions unchecked.
I also added a Crumple Modifier.
I actually like the effect somewhat and consider settling for the pattern that is created but . . .
I would like more depth to it. To me it looks a bit flat.
I also would like it to look more transparent like glass.

As far as the lighting goes I rather like your hints of reflection on the floor . . . It’s gorgeous ! . . .
but I’m afraid my computer won’t pay the price if I want to animate the object
much less try to put a Particle Emitter on it.
I’m afraid my computer would lay down and quit. (Have to be careful of union regulations.) :p

I originally wanted a rough cut translucent rock effect.
Never-the-less I began to consider a more transparent glass effect but still rough cut.
Happy Accidents often change my mind. :wink:

I’ve included a .jas file.

Thanks so much

My Best
Jeanny

Attachments

• Archies Colorglass.jpg
    Archies Colorglass.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 471
  • Archies Colorglass No Refraction.jpg
    Archies Colorglass No Refraction.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 454
  • RQ Test 3.jas.zip
    38.6 KB · Views: 276
Last edited:
This was done using C3D 7.2.1…

This is a quick sketch of something I started to try to explain in text. For a better effect, lacking volumetric effects I might scatter inclusions (particles) inside the mesh and give the a rough, emissive material.

Anyway — the pig's subdiv has been reduced to 1 and shading is flat to look more "crystalline".

The idea of the material is that the surface varies in roughness (driven by turbulence fed through a gradient) and that the rough parts are slightly emissive (since we don't have SSS) and have blurry transparency.

Attachments

• Pig.jas.zip
    28.5 KB · Views: 275
  • Screen Shot 2018-04-09 at 12.51.39 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-04-09 at 12.51.39 PM.png
    316.4 KB · Views: 474
  • rose quartz pig.jpg
    rose quartz pig.jpg
    232.8 KB · Views: 461
Hi Jeanny!

In the image references you linked to I see the cloudy or rough cut version of the rose quartz and not the clear one.
For the cloudy crystals we would need subsurface scattering on which Martin is working I guess but it's not there yet.
Clear quartz should be doable (IOR 1,544) with the dielectric shader.

I cannot make any decent rough quartz material without subsurface scattering so I'm afraid we have to put this project back on the shelf till Martin can provide it.

Sorry for that, now that you have made the effort to assemble this post but then again you won't need old beta versions for rendering because only the clear crystals would show caustic effects.

So let's wait for a while and then continue here when the renderer is ready :smile:

Pod and Miso
Thank you so much for the time you took to try to help me out!
Thank you so much for the information samples and files that you posted!

Both posts have excellent ideas!

I spent the morning trying to work with Pod's ideas.
The only success I had so far was changing the color closer to what I would like.
So far I tried in both the Falcon and Cheetah Render of 7.2.1
There are still some things I'm going to try.

Pod

I like being able to achieve a variety of degrees of opacity (transparency)
and a variance of the amount of blurry white emissive.
I’ve played around a bit with the gradient and turbulence nodes.
So far I can’t achieve what I’m after.

Miso

I like the jagged Rock type shape and natural looking distribution of color and emissive.
Is there anyway I can get it to look more opaque glass type texture?
Even though the gems aren’t completely transparent they possess a bit of glass like reflection.
Some of the rough cut gems (mineral) do have areas that are transparent.

Would it be possible to achieve something closer to what I want in the Cheetah renderer and/or 7.0b26 ?
If that is the case I'd like to still achieve what I'm after even if it means giving up 7.2.1 for this project.

Thanks so much again

My Best
Jeanny

Attachments

• Rose Quartz Pod Alt 1.jpg
    Rose Quartz Pod Alt 1.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 411
Some of the rough cut gems (mineral) do have areas that are transparent.

Thanks Jeanny for insisting, otherwise I'd given up too early :smile:

Now I enhanced the transparency, killed emission and suddenly the thing shows some fire and looks like a mineral instead of ice cream!

- these are all C3D v7.2 renders, no previous versions with caustics required
- the effect is achieved by adding internal geometry (basically 2x shell modifier)
- renders slowly, not really suited for animations

screenshot.png

image1.jpg

image2.jpg

rosequartz2.jas.zip

:smile: Thanks Miso for giving it another go.
Even though its not what I’m looking for
I think it makes a great piece of burning log ambers
or with some changes charcoal ambers.:cool:

My Best
Jeanny

Miso
Is there some way to combine your glass matt that you posted today
(post #14 of the thread I miss 7.ob26)
with your matt that you posted (post #4) in this thread?

My Best
Jeanny

It doesn’t look anything like rose quartz
That's what I thought as well, probably more like a fire snow ruby :tongue:

Miso
Is there some way to combine your glass matt that you posted today
(post #14 of the thread I miss 7.ob26)
with your matt that you posted (post #4) in this thread?

Hi Jeanny,
I was using this reference image that you linked to before.
How that could be combined with a clear glass material I don't see, maybe you have a better reference from the web?

:smile: Hi Miso
Sorry it took so long to respond to your question.
Our internet connection went down.:(
We are just back on as of this afternoon.

Are you indicating that to your knowledge accomplishing my goal would not
be possible right now or there may be a possibility had I a better image?

Thanks for your attempt to help.

My Best
Jeanny

Last edited:
Rose quartz would need some sss, and it's hell of a material to recreate. With more transparence, harder edges and as fake sss a bit of eminating light you could probably get nearer to real rose quartz.

But like pod said: The material looks very cool, whatever it may be :smile:

Hi Jeanny,

great that you are connected again!

Concerning our material problem, if you had a better image (because I cannot really imagine from verbal descriptions) I would make another attempt but success is not likely as we don't have a subsurface scattering shader yet.

Here's my attempt at polished rose quartz. It's translucent,
so without light coming from behind it, it should look opaque.

It shows a variety of swirling patterns.

Attachments

• Polished Rose Quartz.jpg
    Polished Rose Quartz.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 325
  • Rose Quartz.zip
    36.4 KB · Views: 283
Zoo, you produce great materials. This isn't one of them ;) . Actually Miso's try was a lot nearer to the real thing.

I don't know if Jeannie has a good reference picture. The problem with this mineral is, if you haven't seen it, you don't stand a chance to reproduce it. Probably one could only manage it with such a thing on the desk. Because most of the pictures I found on the net are no good, because it's not that easy to photograph, it seems. And there are variants of the mineral, darker and more salmon than the stones I know.

There were two pics I found, that were not that bad. Both from esoteric shops. So it would be illegal to post the pictures, and I give you the links (and it's not important what's written there. It's funny how much superstition from the middle ages is still around in 2018. It's about healing stones, and actually harmless (I heard wilder stuff about driving bad spirits away. New a businessman who wanted to increase the sales of his firm with putting some of this stones in each corner of the offices)).

http://www.fehr-creation.com/html/rosenquarz.html

and way down on this site (you have to scroll):

https://www.quant-vital.de/wissenswertes-ueber-heilsteine.html

Both pics are much too small to be very useful as reference. But they give you an idea of what you have to look for, imho.

Good luck

If you look a bit harder, you'll find polished rose quartz like this.

Attachments

• rose-quartz-tumbled.jpg
    rose-quartz-tumbled.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 333
Thank all of you so much for continuing to try to help me.
I'm extra exhausted lately and will post more hopefully tomorrow.
I just wanted to let you know that I so greatly appreciate your help.

I'm always making dumb mistakes - I may have stumbled onto something through a happy accident.

Will post more later.

My Best
Jeanny

@Zoo you don't even have to look far to find something like this. The material still is far away. And don't get me wrong. I wouldn't do any better.

@all
But as the new beta is here, it's probably worth a look at pbr-materials. Somewhere some rose quartz should be around. With some tricks like emanating light, transparency, refraction and the caustics it should be possible to recreate something very similiar to the real thing.

With the photo is nothing wrong. It's polished rose quartz and Jenny seems to want the non-polished kind if you look at the reference. That seems harder to photograph (polished I found some good pics, too) as I didn't find many pics that looked halfway right, at least in a short search.

But I mentioned the material above which still has nothing to do with rose quartz, be it polished or otherwise.

Back