Cheetah3D User Forum  

Old
  (#1)
Hasdrubal (Offline)
Erfahrener Benutzer

Default Put on floor - 05.09.2017, 15:47

Well, just what the title says. A button to put an object to the floor without using dynamics etc.

Old
  (#2)
Shift Studio (Online)
Erfahrener Benutzer

Default 05.09.2017, 19:50

that would be nice!

--shift studio.

Old
  (#3)
Hasdrubal (Offline)
Erfahrener Benutzer

Default 05.09.2017, 21:44

As you see, I try to suggest little things that would enhance the modeler very much but are relatively easy to put into the program.

Old
  (#4)
frank beckmann (Offline)
Erfahrener Benutzer

Default 05.09.2017, 22:21

We have snapping (and gadget-mode) - which works in many different cases.

Cheers
Frank

Life is short. Eat dessert first.

Old
  (#5)
Shift Studio (Online)
Erfahrener Benutzer

Default 05.09.2017, 22:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasdrubal View Post
As you see, I try to suggest little things that would enhance the modeler very much but are relatively easy to put into the program.

I've also requested many things that would enhance the modeller very much imho. Several seem relatively easy to me, but still go unnoticed

--shift studio.

p.s. no offence intended to Martin - I really respect the huge effort that goes into Cheetah. Its incredible that one man can put something like this together.

Old
  (#6)
Hasdrubal (Offline)
Erfahrener Benutzer

Default 05.09.2017, 23:10

Quote:
in many different cases

Yes, that's true. But not always. Sometimes you still have to do it by eye which isn't as perfect as such a button would do .

Quote:
Several seem relatively easy to me, but still go unnoticed

It seems so to us ...

And I understand Martin. At least at the moment it seems, he has other fish to fry with finishing V7.

For me it's just like this: Cheetah is much better than i anticipated, and I like to work with it very much. But there are a few things that could make it even better and because we like it so much we want that, too.

Funny thing is, most of us tend to compare it with the big names in 3D. And some have those much more expensive programs but still use cheetah very much. And in several respects it's even a match for those apps.

I really like falcon. And I hope that V7 will bring as a better material system (i. e. new nodes) which in my (moderately humble) opinion is the weakest point of this program. And the lights going with it.

Old
  (#7)
frank beckmann (Offline)
Erfahrener Benutzer

Default 05.09.2017, 23:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasdrubal View Post
Yes, that's true. But not always. Sometimes you still have to do it by eye which isn't as perfect as such a button would do .
IŽd like to see such a case.

Cheers
Frank

Life is short. Eat dessert first.

Old
  (#8)
Hasdrubal (Offline)
Erfahrener Benutzer

Default 06.09.2017, 00:12

Easy with subdiv.

I forgot to mention that. Subdiv should be included in this magic button.

And even if you freeze the object, when the point density is very high (and the points are very near) it's at least tedious. I don't know how it is with you, but in some cases it's just easier to do it by hand.

So even if it's manageable with snapping, it's sometimes just plain uncomfortable.

And yes, this is a sign of many polygons, but if the camera is near an object, you often need them.

Sometimes it has to do with the scale. Reflections and the light are only really accurate at 1:1. If you create bigger it's just not that convincing anymore in lots of cases (at least to me). Very small things (say a few milimeters) are sometimes difficult too.

P.S.: One object I couldn't fit to the ground was Martin's Studio, the studio object ("hohlkehle" (sorry, for something like this I only know the german word)), which I made smaller. It was something like 0.xxxx in position y and would have needed something like 0.xxxx8 ...

Last edited by Hasdrubal : 06.09.2017 at 00:22. Reason: Afterthought