Render Normal-Flipping Problem

Render Normal-Flipping Problem

I noticed this when preparing some renders for someone... been meaning to ask about this for a while now...

This mesh has one material applied to it (white), but some faces are coming out dark grey...

The normals appear to be flipped, but I can't flip them back... the whole thing goes haywire. Flipping one face the right way around flips other faces the other way around.. if you get my drift...try it.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• Steelwork.jpg
    Steelwork.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 213
  • Steelwork-4.jpg
    Steelwork-4.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 213
  • Steelwork.jas.zip
    222.3 KB · Views: 221
Hi Tim!
if it's from SketchUp... any chance you applied the material to the wrong side (i.e. you need to "flip" faces in SU?).
another thing could be duplicated faces (->Optimize in C3D?)

cheers,
Alessandro

I noticed this when preparing some renders for someone... been meaning to ask about this for a while now...

This mesh has one material applied to it (white), but some faces are coming out dark grey...

The normals appear to be flipped, but I can't flip them back... the whole thing goes haywire. Flipping one face the right way around flips other faces the other way around.. if you get my drift...try it.

Any ideas?

Tim, just select the poly's you want to flip, not the whole thing.

Terry, thanks, that's what I did.

Cheers, Alessandro, I thought I'd done all that already... odd that I can't flip the individual polys in Cheetah, though. Tried Optimize as well, no joy. Have you actually looked at the mesh? It's weird.

Flipped polys shouldn´t be the issue here. Some polys didn´t get any material at all. Drag it from the mesh and assign it again.

Cheers
Frank

Attachments

• SteelWork.jpg
    SteelWork.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 231
That simple, eh? Cheers, Frank.

I vaguely remember Martin telling me that -- unlike other renderers -- Cheetah isn't bothered by flipped faces.

yup, improperly assigned material.
now you have emissive and reflection and also camlight on, that's a weird combo but maybe for testing only, when i use more default-like with skylight i get nice renders.

cheers,
archie

tim.png

Last edited:
Back