Two objects connected with dynamics

Two objects connected with dynamics

Hey guys, I am struggling with something and I was hoping you could help. I am trying to model a rather complicated setup with hoses (plumbing lines) and I need to be able to move the connected components around, without having to remodel the hoses. For example:
I have a pump at one end of the hose which I have modelled.

I then have a spline modelled (with a sweep) to create the water line which is connected to the pump.

I have also modelled a container which is where the other end of the water line is then connected.

I am still experimenting with the position of the pump and container, and of course every time I move either of them the water hose stays in it's original position forcing me to edit/remodel the path of the water line.

I don't need to animate, I just need to be able to move the pump or container around whilst allowing the tube to stay connected. Is this possible? If so, how? Basically, if I select the group called "dosing vessels" and moved it 24 inches, I'd like profilux doser to remain in its current position but have the MAG, CA and ALK dosing lines stay connected to both objects.

I have attached the file View attachment Pumps.zip
Thanks

Last edited:
Hi,

That is possible with dynamics tags but when running the animation.
Have a look at this basic example. Notice the kinematics status of the rigid bodies. So, move either one of the group or boxes when running. Stop whenever you want. At that stage you can still move individual points of the spline

Attachments

• Rope and boxes.zip
    13 KB · Views: 366
Hi,

That is possible with dynamics tags but when running the animation.
Have a look at this basic example. Notice the kinematics status of the rigid bodies. So, move either one of the group or boxes when running. Stop whenever you want. At that stage you can still move individual points of the spline

Thanks for the suggestion this this doesn't quite solve my problem. I need the spline to attach so when I move the object, the end point of the spline moves with it (not in animation, I am not doing any animating). The example I posted is basic, but my project will have many splines with different attachment points so I am hoping to attach them. Does that make sense?

Thanks for the suggestion this this doesn't quite solve my problem. I need the spline to attach so when I move the object, the end point of the spline moves with it (not in animation, I am not doing any animating). The example I posted is basic, but my project will have many splines with different attachment points so I am hoping to attach them. Does that make sense?

I don't know how to do it differently than this. The point constraint tag is on an entire object (spline in your case) and not on a single point of the spline.

Solution

This took some time to figure out - but here it is. It requires the use of one of Hiroto's (tg_jp) amazing scripts; Controlled Spline:

http://www.cheetah3d.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9251

Also, please see the attached file where I have already incorporated the solution into your project.

Hiroto's script is perfect for this, his script creates a spline that is defined by objects - so for each hose I created a series of 5 group folders (which serve as null objects) to define the spline with a MID point. I can then use the Parent Constraint tag to attach the 2 end points to each pump valve. Now the spline is defined "on the fly" as you move the parent object.

The MIDpoint for each hose was necessary for giving the hose lines a nice curve AND I created a separate Parent Constraint for the MIDpoints so you can easily adjust the entire hose line set with another object.

As you move the Profilux Doser object, you will see that the hose lines stay connected but may not be in an esthetically pleasing curve. Simply select the object named "MIDpoint" and move that - it will control the MIDpoints of all three hose lines. Hope this works for you. Cheers.

Attachments

• Screen Shot-HoseLines.jpg
    Screen Shot-HoseLines.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 368
  • Pumps-Hoses-2.jas.zip
    586.5 KB · Views: 354
Back