I didn't really expect this to work, but...

I didn't really expect this to work, but...

I tried exporting an fbx from a scene in which an animated bulge is applied to an object. The animation doesn't export apparently.

Will this work in 4.0 when you have morph targets supported? Hopefully it'll work automagically.

A feature I would like to see is one that Blender supports (at least in its obj exporter): you can export one model per frame in an animation which is useful as I was able to get the animation into Unity by making a mesh morpher and manually saving every n frames as a separate model.

Being able to do it automatically for any file format would be nice though.

Hi,
that animation with the bulge won't be exported to FBX even in v4.0 since FBX doesn't support such animations. FBX just supports skeletal and morph target animation.

But Cheetah3D 4.0 will support FBX morph target. The downside is that Unity doesn't load FBX morph targets yet. But I already asked Joachim Ante if he could support them.

Bye,
Martin

Ops, forgot to answer that. Adding such a feature is quite easy. It would only require the addition of one extra script function to the Javascript API.

If there is some serious need I could add this function. Then it will be able to perform such a bulk animation export to any file format with just a 20 lines Javascript.

Bye,
Martin

Its quite useful to have if you have your own custom keyframe based animation format, for example.

Options like all frames/keyframes only/every n frames would probably suffice.

Hi,
I've extended the Javascript API with the necessary function. With the next update of Cheetah3D it will be possible to write such a tool with just 20-30 lines of code.

Just use these two functions of the document class.

Code:
doc.saveToFile( String filename, String type)
doc.setAnimPosition(Number time)

A for loop and some small UI stuff and you have the tool you described.

Bye,
Martin

Martin,
would it be possible that one of the next cheetah3d versions (perhaps 5.x) will contain a function like metaballs (I'm also using Bryce 5 which is able to create great metaballs).

Just a teaser - without firecat;-)

Hi.
I love to play with metaballs. They are fast and you can´t reproduce the mesh in other modeling techniques. But exporting them is always a disaster. Nevertheless as a teaser (and for a new prozedural texture theme) one of my latest speedmodelling contributions. Notice: This is a Brycerender.
DesignerSweets.jpg

With kindest regards
Frank

Last edited:
Hi,
metaballs are a lot of fun to work with. :smile: They will come for sure. It is just a matter of time.

Bye,
Martin

Great. I can't wait to use them in Cheetah3d, too.
This one is completely built with metaballs in Bryce 5. I would like to create a very similar one in Cheetah and add some lovely details...Schwert 1.jpg

Back