Rounded corners with editable radius - iPhone

Hello Cheetah forum - I am brand new in Cheetah and 3D modelling, and I hope you can give me some basic guidance.

I am working on something like an iPhone 5.

When modelling the body, I find it hard to design the rounded corners - which tool to use?

Attached example: I started with a box. Removed the corner polygons. Added a one fourth of a cylinder. Used the bridge tool to merge the items.

I now have a model which is hard to edit further, as the polygons does not match each other in geometry - e.g. Ring Cut, Extrude, Cover etc. I also face some issues with the render, where the cylinder meet the bridged parts.

I have also tried the bevel tool, but found it hard to manage the "corner radius".

Can anyone give me a hint how to build the iPhone 5 body with rounded corners and editable radius?

Do you by the way know any users in Denmark, Aarhus City, who might want to sell me some side-by-side training? Or somebody who would sell their modelling support on consulting basis?

All the best,
Claus

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-10-30 at 11.31.44.png
    Screen Shot 2013-10-30 at 11.31.44.png
    483.3 KB · Views: 1,831

Thank you Frank for your kindness,

I have now tried the spline approach, but the symmetry goes wrong for me when scaling it? It might be wrong, but I try to equal Cheetah units with my real world mm measurements (approx 600 mm * 150 mm).

Still in the small scale, when extruding the spline I end up with an object build from a lot of irregular polygons, and I kind of fell that this limits my symmetrical edit options - am I wrong? E.g. when I try to Ring Select, and use the "ring" as basis for further edits like symmetrical transforms, intrude, cover etc. Check attached render, which I just made by stacking objects.

Hard job to be an elephant in a China shop.

All the best, Claus

Hi Claus and Welcome!

I´d use a spline/extrude-creator approach. Grab the rounded-rectangle.js spline script from the script downloads section of this forum: http://www.cheetah3d.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6698
and you can stay parametrically as long you want.

Cheers
Frank

Attachments

• Render.png
    Render.png
    160.8 KB · Views: 1,095
  • Screen Shot 2013-10-30 at 11.31.44.png
    Screen Shot 2013-10-30 at 11.31.44.png
    483.3 KB · Views: 1,205
Mmmh - then try this:
Extrude the spline without "Cover".
Make Extrude-creator object editable.
Use "Fill hole" to close the opening.
Select front polygon and call "inner extrude" for an inset.
Then move the front along it´s normals via "normal move to adjust the bezel: 1.
The creator allows beveled stairs: 2. BTW.

Cheers
Frank

PS: you can bevel the edge-loop of the mesh you´re showing as well.

Attachments

• BevelStairs.jpeg
    BevelStairs.jpeg
    79.9 KB · Views: 1,164
  • Bevel3.png
    Bevel3.png
    42.4 KB · Views: 1,147
Last edited:
you could try this perhaps, with a subdivision modifier at the end added.
cheers
s

Attachments

• crease1.jpg
    crease1.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 1,103

Thank you a lot Guys - you really drive my inspiration, and I hope that I someday will be capable of helping you.

All the best,
Claus

you could try this perhaps, with a subdivision modifier at the end added.
cheers
s

Just as an aside (and only if you are interested), Apple don't use a true radius on many (if any) of their products. I think it may be a hyperbola (or based on a hyperbola). A variation of this curve is also used on the four corners of the new iOS7 icon mask (See 1st image below).

It's a very subtle design element that a lot of people haven't noticed. It's easer to see on the iMac (See 2nd image below). If you place a circle template over a corner of an Aluminium imac, the ipad, and perhaps the iphone (I don't have an iphone to check), you'll see what I mean; you will never find a true radius that matches the curve.

In the iMac image, I have drawn two circles, the larger circle falls well short at the corner even though it departs from the horizontal and vertical at the same point as Apple's curve. The smaller circle runs tangent to the curve at the corner but where it reaches the horizontal and vertical, it ends up in mid-air.

Cheers

Chris

Attachments

• icon-corner.png
    icon-corner.png
    63 KB · Views: 1,022
  • imac-corner0.jpg
    imac-corner0.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 1,059
Apple don't use a true radius on many (if any) of their products.... It's a very subtle design element that a lot of people haven't noticed.

Great observation Chris - I did not know this - great reminder to not "assume" that other designers default to standard curves and lines

You are really sharp Chris - only true designers can spot that kind of major details. Thank you for your reply.

Concerning my design approach I still struggle - I will soon ask for more help, and really hope you will spend some minutes on my case.

All the best, Claus

Just as an aside (and only if you are interested), Apple don't use a true radius on many (if any) of their products. I think it may be a hyperbola (or based on a hyperbola). A variation of this curve is also used on the four corners of the new iOS7 icon mask (See 1st image below).

It's a very subtle design element that a lot of people haven't noticed. It's easer to see on the iMac (See 2nd image below). If you place a circle template over a corner of an Aluminium imac, the ipad, and perhaps the iphone (I don't have an iphone to check), you'll see what I mean; you will never find a true radius that matches the curve.

In the iMac image, I have drawn two circles, the larger circle falls well short at the corner even though it departs from the horizontal and vertical at the same point as Apple's curve. The smaller circle runs tangent to the curve at the corner but where it reaches the horizontal and vertical, it ends up in mid-air.

Cheers

Chris

You are really sharp Chris - only true designers can spot that kind of major details. Thank you for your reply.

Concerning my design approach I still struggle - I will soon ask for more help, and really hope you will spend some minutes on my case.

All the best, Claus

My attempt is a bit crude and I haven't tried to get the proportions correct, but thought I'd start with a cylinder with 64 sections longitudinal, then use Area Select (top view) to pull it out in four directions. I then used Ring Cut and Cover to pull the glass face upwards.

I'm not sure what to do with all the geometry in the centre though.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-11-05 at 9.17.24 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2013-11-05 at 9.17.24 pm.png
    209 KB · Views: 990
  • Screen Shot 2013-11-05 at 9.23.36 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2013-11-05 at 9.23.36 pm.png
    179.9 KB · Views: 1,044
Back