Controlled Spline.js

Attachments

• ch3d_20130118_controlledspline_ss.jpg
    ch3d_20130118_controlledspline_ss.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 943
  • controlledSpline_sample.jas.zip
    7.9 KB · Views: 600
Last edited:

Thanks for sharing Frank, that's amazing.

And thank you Hiroto, you've pried open my imagination once again.

visible/renderable child objects?

Hi Hiroto.

Do you think it would be possible to add a feature so that the Controlled Spline script's child objects/control points are visible in editor and renderable?

I have a project with lots of hydraulic hoses (using Sweep Creator). At each end of the hose is a connection fitting, and along the hoses runs are mounted hose guides/clamps.

I think the Controlled Spline script could be useful for moving parts and having the hoses follow along.

Thanks in advance, or thanks for reading :)
--Shift Studio.

edit: Here is a pic that shows some of the fittings and hose guides

Attachments

• Hoses-and-Fittings.jpg
    Hoses-and-Fittings.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 643
Last edited:
In a pinch, I suppose you can parent your objects to the controlled spline objects and put them outside the controlled spline hierarchy so they will render.

Bob

Hi Hiroto.

Do you think it would be possible to add a feature so that the Controlled Spline script's child objects/control points are visible in editor and renderable?

I have a project with lots of hydraulic hoses (using Sweep Creator). At each end of the hose is a connection fitting, and along the hoses runs are mounted hose guides/clamps.

I think the Controlled Spline script could be useful for moving parts and having the hoses follow along.

Thanks in advance, or thanks for reading :)
--Shift Studio.

edit: Here is a pic that shows some of the fittings and hose guides

That is an incredible model Shift.

Thanks Bobs!

@Bobzilla. I'm unsure of exactly what your idea is, but yah, there definitely would be a way to hack something together. I'm looking for an elegant and versatile solution. The script (modified as described) seems promising to deliver both.

@ uncle808us. Thanks, I appreciate hearing that! It's been a lot of work, and the above render only shows about 1/4 or so of the model.

-- shift studio.

Last edited:
New request

I'm working on a solution that makes use a parent constraint tags.

Thanks very much to Rene66 and his post here! >> https://www.cheetah3d.com/forum/showpost.php?p=91125&postcount=7

It seems like the script always makes tangents of equal length. If there were a way to control that, it would be EVEN BETTER.

My request is to add an 'Approximation angle' parameter to the script to create smoother splines.

Are either of these possible?

Thanks, Shift Studio.

Have you checked the Controlled-spline-tag script in addition to adjust single spline nodes? Shown in Hiroto´s video at 1:45min?

Cheers
Frank

Have you checked the Controlled-spline-tag script in addition to adjust single spline nodes? Shown in Hiroto´s video at 1:45min?

Cheers
Frank

Hi Frank,
Thanks, yes, I'm making use of that tag.

What I'm trying to do is move my Hydraulic Crimp Fittings and have the hose in between enter/exit the fitting in a natural way, without tweaking the end points. Then I can adjust the midpoints as necessary.

If you take a look at the attached file, you can give it a try.
Its close, but still requires manual finessing.
Maybe you can think of a better way?
Goal is make it plug-n-play.:wink:

Also if you make the script 'editable', you can see that if points 3 and 5's tangents were horizontal, there would be no problem, and I'd be able to get rid of points 2 and 6.

Thanks for your insights as always.
--Shift Studio.

Attachments

• hose-master.jpg
    hose-master.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 513
  • Hoses-Master.jas.zip
    86.7 KB · Views: 478
Last edited:

Thanks Frank!
They're interesting and close to what I'm after.

The cords/ropes in the linked-to threads don't really stay in a fixed-ish position where they attach to the plugs etc.
These hoses are somewhat stiff, so they're going to come of the crimp fittings along the same axis as the fitting itself. Also they're stiff enough that gravity doesn't force them to fall down - that is, I don't want them to fall down.

Here is what they look like, done the manual way, they don't bend (or fall down) where they enter/exit the crimp fitting.

What I've done is very close, and I can just make some tweaks to point 3 and point 5's parent constraint to tweak... for now at least. Its definitely better than the full manual approach.

Thanks,
--shift studio.

Attachments

• hose-and-fittings2.jpg
    hose-and-fittings2.jpg
    172 KB · Views: 511
Last edited:
hello

thank you for using this script. and I will add some option for controlling manually bezier spline control points.

I will post asap.

Best

tg_jp, Hiroto

This looks very, very good - for me - Thanks Hiroto!

I haven't tried yet, but in manual mode, how does the script know what is a 'point' on the spline and what is a 'control point' or handle?
Do you have to name it 'cp#' like in the video?

Thanks, Shift Studio.

Hello

This looks very, very good - for me - Thanks Hiroto!

I haven't tried yet, but in manual mode, how does the script know what is a 'point' on the spline and what is a 'control point' or handle?
Do you have to name it 'cp#' like in the video?

Thanks, Shift Studio.

no, it's just order. object's name is not related ( any name will be ok ).

#1 child -> anchor point 1
#2 child -> handle (out) of anchor point 1
#3 child -> handle (in) of anchor point 2
#4 child -> anchor point 2
#5 child -> handle (out) of anchor point 2

Best

tg_jp, Hiroto

Hello

no, it's just order. object's name is not related ( any name will be ok ).

#1 child -> anchor point 1
#2 child -> handle (out) of anchor point 1
#3 child -> handle (in) of anchor point 2
#4 child -> anchor point 2
#5 child -> handle (out) of anchor point 2

tg_jp, Hiroto

Best

Of course! That makes perfect sense. :redface:
Will give it a try.

Thanks, Shift Studio.

Back