Detailed Spline Editing Tutorial

Detailed Spline Editing Tutorial

I have searched and can't find a good spline tutorial. I have seen the couple of wine glass tutorials, but they don't really get into how to edit the individual nodes and their control points.

Like when I create a new spline, add my points and then try to drag one of the control points of a node, the other control point moves as well. I can't figure out how to separate them so they can make the kind of curve I want.

This an all other details are what I would like a tutorial about. It doesn't have to be a video, but videos are nice. Text / pictures would work just as well.

Anyone?

You have just to be sure about once a spline is established:
1. transform widget is set to "move"
2. nothing is selected
3. hold shift+alt keys down to maintain curves (hoover/click&drag).
4. hold shift+alt+cmd keys down to maintain an edgy point (hoover/click&drag).

Here´s a quick video I made a while back: Simple Splines

Cheers
Frank

No movie!

I'm trying to figure the what the action is when adding points to a spline. and working with splines in general and thought O-boy a tutorial but the movie was not there. Any chance of getting a look at it?

Attachments

• 46-Resized@1x.png
    46-Resized@1x.png
    30.9 KB · Views: 993
To be honest: I have no clue what´s up with Screencast.com lately. I can´t watch the movies by myself: I got this message box which is simply nonsense - as I have QuickTime of course.
Right now it seems Screencast is on maintaince though.
I have no idea how to make it available again.
I will contact support.

Cheers
Frank

Attachments

• ScreencastIssue.png
    ScreencastIssue.png
    34 KB · Views: 992
To be honest: I have no clue what´s up with Screencast.com lately. I can´t watch the movies by myself: I got this message box which is simply nonsense - as I have QuickTime of course.
Right now it seems Screencast is on maintaince though.
I have no idea how to make it available again.
I will contact support.

Cheers
Frank

Yes I have the same notice as well.:confused:

Off-topic

Okay - I got an unsatisfactory reply from TechSmith support - telling me that "... many modern browser are no longer working with QuickTime plugin".
I didn´t know that and don´t understand it either. Next bad thing is: a conversion from mov to mp4 will bloat the file size - I always thought mp4 is smaller but it isn´t in my experience.
Good news is the guy gave me instructions to swap the files while keeping the links intact - it´s laborious and the list is very long, but should work in the end. :rolleyes:

Cheers
Frank

Okay - I got an unsatisfactory reply from TechSmith support - telling me that "... many modern browser are no longer working with QuickTime plugin".
I didn´t know that and don´t understand it either. Next bad thing is: a conversion from mov to mp4 will bloat the file size - I always thought mp4 is smaller but it isn´t in my experience.
Good news is the guy gave me instructions to swap the files while keeping the links intact - it´s laborious and the list is very long, but should work in the end. :rolleyes:

Cheers
Frank

Seems odd to me too about the size I thought mp4 was smaller as well. as for no quicktime plugin in safari... that seems odd.
Thank you for going to the trouble.

Well, months have past and I went to the links today and got the "quick time needed" error "error" message :> and have been unable to watch the video.

Sad thing, I'm having a bear of a time with a spine-based lathe object and hope that the video could shed some light... oh well.

To paraphrase a great comedy movie, "looks like I picked the wrong week to start using Cheetah3D."

But the key commands for different spline points is a good one and may solve some of my issues. I hope.

Thanks so much Frank! You're one great asset to this community, even for those, like me, who's taken his sweet time getting into C3D. The video was good, answered a lot of questions I had. I keep forgetting there's a tool palette thingamabob, as there's no menu commands for it that I know of.

Notes on Screencast´s new ideas.

It's time to make Screencast better, but we need more space!
Our records indicate you may have a free TechSmith Screencast account. Screencast is a website where you can store and share images, videos, and other content from Jing, Snagit, Camtasia, or your computer.
As part of our effort to make your experience better and modernize the Screencast platform, we're making changes to our content retention approach. We know most content is used right after it is created. So, starting September 5, 2018, TechSmith will begin deleting content that has not been viewed in the past year from free Screencast accounts.
In other words they will make something better by deleting others work. Great.
What they know is I´m using a free account, but what they don´t say I bought a Camtasia license - so I´m not just taking advantage of their space I´m a loyal customer too - but that´s not making it into account.
I have almost reached the 2GB space&traffic-per-month and stored over 200 videos/Screenshots/Images/PDFs used by a variety of communities - I reckon 100 vids&stuff are hosted for Cheetah3d and although not all are state-of-the-art some might be still useful. There are no monitoring tools telling me when they are watched at last. I was trying to zap through the list to play some - but due another issue with this platform Quicktime movies won´t run but can be downloaded at least. I was able to replace a few with up-to-date codecs&container to keep the links alive - but this takes so much time.
To cut a long story short, I can´t make sure the videos and other stuff will survive the 5th of September 2018. That´s all I wanted to let you know.

Cheers
Frank

Back