Holy Shagging Christ on a Bike!!!! (Mac Pro Speed Results)

Holy Shagging Christ on a Bike!!!! (Mac Pro Speed Results)

Gulp.

To carry on from Martin's comments about the render test being too simple to adequately show off the speed differences...On complex scenes, I'm getting render speed ups of around four to five times with my new machine.

The machine I'm testing it against is a PowerMac Dual 2.0 GHz w. 4GB RAM. So the New machine only has half the amount of memory.

First test -- Indoor scene, HDRI and Radiosity -- 1x / 4x oversampling, 100 Radiosity samples --

PowerMac -- 3085s

Mac Pro -- 621s.

Will post more as I get them...

Second Test -- Exterior scene (Turning Torso) HDRI and Radiosity -- 1x / 8x oversampling, 30 Radiosity samples --

PowerMac -- 250s

Mac Pro -- 55s

As above, with DOF tag (64x samples)

PowerMac -- Still waiting...3547s

Mac Pro -- 542s

Last edited:
Dear Tim

I'm glad your pleased and it shows that all four chips are working but in the real world of other apps the results are slightly different

see:

http://www.barefeats.com/quad06.html

which goes back to my original remark about until everthing is native it's not a great move.

But I am curious to see what file you used to get those results.

Maybe you could post it on the forun so we mortals without a MBP could post back results

Regards

Luke

Luke --

Even the smallest scene (saved as a binary) is 4.5 MB zipped, so above the attachment limit...

Maybe I could e-mail it to Martin and he could host it...?

Also, even with a 7300, Cheetah's OpenGL speeds on the new machine is very fast. Even SketchUp is usable (but I'll probably Boot Camp it for complex models).

Hi Tim,
thanks for your information. A 4-5x speed up is fantastic. It's even more than I expected. So Cheetah3D obviously loves the new Intel Quad Macs.:D

I'm currently thinking about a official Cheetah3D performance test scene. A scene which is well balanced between all the features the renderer offers and which is complex enough to reflect a average real world scene.

Is there some interest for such a scene?

Bye,
Martin

Dear Martin and Tim

I think yes

There is no denying that the Mac pros are faster on native software and you are one of the best exponents of in the 3D arena.

I'm looking at it in a commercial view, with 4 G5s and a lot of print work that has to make money and trying to develop a 3D market, which is slow in the UK.

I'm not arguing with native speed tests, because the the next phase is animations which will play a big part in deciding what software people will use, as time saved here is a very big factor, and as your software is fast so it will win a lot of new friends/custom.

I'm a small company, that has to buy new gear when the time is right, hence my need to wait for the 8 chip machine and native CS3.

Regards

Luke

luke Bocchinelli said:
I'm a small company, that has to buy new gear when the time is right, hence my need to wait for the 8 chip machine and native CS3.

Hi,
the 8 core Mac is still to cool that I could believe it yet. :cool: But I would be really surprised if it would appear this year.

Do you have a clue when Adobe plans to release CS3?

Bye,
Martin

Dear Martin

Not this year, but in the 2nd q of 2007 along with CS3.

It sound like they want to to blow the competition away in a big way with a great big "fireworks" display of power and style !?

But that is the mac way is it not ?

So...bring out the finest wine...and enjoy

Regards

Luke

Attachments

• cs.jpg
    cs.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 384
Last edited:
Hscoab!!!

Congrats on your recent acquisition. I noticed 2 things about your new setup.

As impressive as your new times are, you only have the quad 2.0Ghz machine. Imagine the times with 4 cores that are 50% faster!

Also, you mention that you've got 2GB RAM. Is this in 4x512MB, or 2x1GB? The memory bus is 4-channel, so you will get the best performance with 4 matched memory chips instead of 2.

Thanks for the updates.

Hi TimD, could you email me the scene so I could test it on my quad 3.0 GHz machine? :)

Regards,

Peter

eeblack said:
Congrats on your recent acquisition. I noticed 2 things about your new setup.

As impressive as your new times are, you only have the quad 2.0Ghz machine. Imagine the times with 4 cores that are 50% faster!

Yep...I downgraded the processors so that I could put the extra money towards a better video card (when they ship...:rolleyes:)

Also, you mention that you've got 2GB RAM. Is this in 4x512MB, or 2x1GB? The memory bus is 4-channel, so you will get the best performance with 4 matched memory chips instead of 2.

Thanks for the updates.

Yes, it's 4x512MB. I actually bought RAM off Apple!!! No-one else in Europe seems to stock it at the moment...

Peer --

I'm trying to put together a file for you that I can e-mail. It will have to be based on a .3ds exported from SketchUp, because the .FBX filesize is too big.

However, when I replace the FBX with a .3ds (in a Smart Folder), it goes haywire -- the model isn't in the same place, it's a different scale and it's rotated. Very frustrating...:mad:

TimD said:
However, when I replace the FBX with a .3ds (in a Smart Folder), it goes haywire -- the model isn't in the same place, it's a different scale and it's rotated. Very frustrating...:mad:

Hi,
you probably have to adjust the import scale factor of the .3ds file. Cheetah3D normalizes the hole .3ds scene by default (scale factor=0.0). Maybe try a import scale factor of 1.0.

Bye,
Martin

Actually, I found out that it needs to be scaled up by 100x and rotated by 90 deg. to bring it into line with the FBX.

Hi Tim,
the fact that it is rotated by 90° is not very nice :( That shouldn't happen. Could you mail me a small .fbx and .3ds file of the same scene which shows that rotation. Maybe I can fix that problem.

Many thanks in advance.

Bye,
Martin

Back