Game Characters Challenge!

Game Characters Challenge!

Hai Peeps. I am currently making a 3D FPS game with one of my mates.
The only thing is, we aren't that good at 3D modelling. So I thought, why not ask the community? We need YOU to provide us with some models:

~Futuristic Soldier With NanoTech suit (Crysis Style)
~Virus-Infected Monster/Animal (NOT ZOMBIE -- It's a Drug ~sort of~ and it needs to be a voilet color scheme
~Several Different Vehicles, including Hover Car, Rocket Ship, Tank etc
~A military base
~A giant spaceship for the remains of humans to live on - similar to the Axiom from the movie Wall-E

And any thing else that you think would relate to a sci-fi horror FPS

Concerning Prizes, all models used will have their creators names and website in the credits. AND, We are not confirmed but there probably will be several prizes consisting of money. probably.

Your Entry Form Should Include: Model File In .obj OR .3ds form (Bone rig would be nice), A couple of renders so we can see what it looks like, name of character (if you have one) and texture (if it has one)

Can't wait to see you're ideas!!

I will do this challenge If i have time. whats the best way to bind a skydome texture to a ball?
Look into the help/example files: Tutorial Scenes -> "Hello Earth".
Check the automatic UVs Cheetah3d´s sphere have and the texture for proportions. Skyboxes will do it either when you have some. Use the "Solid Shader" because it won´t interact with any lights in the scene. In be aware that the mapping seems mirrored once you´re camera is inside the sphere. "-1" at UV scale on the UV coords will fix that.

Cheers
Frank

Last edited:
is this still on? If it is - What limits do we have? Especially in what polygon-range can we move? Are Bump/Displacement Maps ok? Would a 30MQuad Model be Overkill? ;)

Please don´t take this seriously.
This user started 7 contest-threads, 4 without any reply. I was hoping Martin would delete all of them. :rolleyes:

Cheers
Frank

Do you really need a contest as a motivation here?
I´m not holding you back. But if you need some proper feedback join us at Game-artist.net

Cheers
Frank

Interesting board - but I guess I work to high poly. Didn't think game models are still as low poly as seen in that board.

I think that´s for mobile devices and when a whole scene on an iPhone (3) has to be under 50k vertices you have to be as low-poly as possible. ;)

Models/scenes for a CryENGINE® are a totally different goal.

Cheers
Frank

From what I read they used the 3ds-limit per character in CE3 - so 65k tris is it then.
Or do you meant over there at game-artist.net?

Cheers
Frank

Pretty sure - but how you bake it then to a lowpoly version when there´s no base mesh? (QMesher or Topology Brush?)
3dCoat has some neat retopo features BTW.

Cheers
Frank

Well I normaly don't retopo. As I only do stills in Vue, I reduce the Polycount with DecimationMaster to an "low" MegaPoly-value and then export to Vue.

Back