Fog bug?

Fog bug?

Summary: 3D preview not honouring fog "Start" parameter, making scene hard to edit when fogged.

Steps to reproduce:

Load Cheetah3DBox sample.
Select camera.
Add Fog.
Change Fog density to 0.8.
Can no longer see box (that's OK :)

Desire to see box so set the fog's "Start" out to 3.0.
Still cannot see box (not OK).

Check position of box; at origin. Check position of camera: less than 3.0 away from box.

Change fog "start" to 10; no difference. Seems like the 3D preview is not honouring the Start at all.

Set Start back to 3 and click Render; scene renders perfectly with box perfectly clear and the background fogged.

This makes it hard to use fog.

Hi,
sorry, but that is not a bug. OpenGL only uses the fog start property for "linear" fog. That is a limitation on OpenGL.

But Cheetah3Ds raytracer cares about the fog start property. So the OpenGL preview and the raytracer might not match. That is true.

If you use exponential fog please work with the density property to make the view clearer.

Bye,
Martin

Thanks for the reply. While I could lower the density for editing, it means I would have to alter it each time I want to render.

An option similar to what Cheetah already has for other objects might be useful - the Show in Editor option. I'm unlikely to want to see fog when editing.

Hmm... I wonder, could I switch to a different camera for editing, one without fog? Let me try that.

gperks said:
Thanks for the reply. While I could lower the density for editing, it means I would have to alter it each time I want to render.

You can also just disable the tag. See the first property of the fog tag.

gperks said:
Hmm... I wonder, could I switch to a different camera for editing, one without fog? Let me try that.

As andrew already said you can also use the "Perspective" view of the 3D view but you can also use another camera object for editing.

Bye,
Martin

Back