clothes tutorials?

clothes tutorials?

I am attempting to make a character that has interchangeable clothes (imagine these old paper games where you have a doll and you put on different clothes :) ), but I am not sure about the technique to do so.

Technically the clothes goes on top of the mesh (talking about old experience with poser....), and then you hide the underlying mesh, so you avoid to drag around and render polygons that nobody see. I have some old tutorials from the poser days, where they basically get the chest of the figure (in that case was victoria if i am not mistaken), duplicate it and then model the cloth piece using it as starting point.

There was a whole deal about morph transferring and such; but in the end you would load the new mesh and it would fit and conform to the figure.

Now I wonder how it works outside poser :) Is there any good tutorial around that shows how to make clothes starting from a base rigged mesh? Probably my confusion is just dictated from the fact that in the end clothes are different geometry and nothing more, while I see them as layers that goes on top of the original mesh, like real clothes :)

Any link would be appreciated; I just need to get the concept, then I can start to experiment from there :)

Thanks!

Thanks a lot Frank for the link.

It is a good start; I just gotta find out if there is a way to transfer the weight among meshes (ex: chest is rigged, you make a shirt, transfer the weight painted on the chest to the shirt, tweak and you are good to go :) )

At least I have something to follow now ; Thanks!

I'm going to hijack this thread... if I may.. ;) :p

Thanks so much for that link.. I think I can use it also.. but what I really need to know is.. when making some clothing .. how do I hide the model.. in this case Victoria and just leave the piece I am working on? :redface:

I'm going to hijack this thread... if I may.. ;) :p

Thanks so much for that link.. I think I can use it also.. but what I really need to know is.. when making some clothing .. how do I hide the model.. in this case Victoria and just leave the piece I am working on? :redface:

Just hide the model in the properties of the mesh :)

If you duplicate the mesh that you use as base for the clothing, you can simply hide the original one, so you can show the bare chest or the cloth on the mesh (be sure to check both checkboxes, otherwise you just hide it in the editor but not to the render).

In the end you will have a mesh for the head, one for the arms, one for legs and one for chest (feet depends), then you show and hide at will before rendering.

Animate it is a whole different story :)

C3d cannot do this but heat binding should work perfectly well. (I've used it for exactly this purpose and it works fine.)

C3d cannot do this but heat binding should work perfectly well. (I've used it for exactly this purpose and it works fine.)

Thanks for the reply podperson

Could you tell me where I can get more info on heat binding? I've checked the manual and there is no trace of it.

Found some posts mentioning it but I don't get exactly how do I use it to accomplish what I want to :)

It's the default binding method used by Cheetah 3d. You add a skeleton tag to a mesh, drag the root bone into its listbox, and then click Bind Mesh (the binding method used is, by default, "heat").

By and large heat binding works almost perfectly for most of the kinds of things you're likely to do in C3D.

Edit:

Here's my "omnidude" figure – I quickly modeled a shirt (by selecting some bits of him and doing a normal move, I also extruded out a bit of a collar) and then I simply used heat binding. I then checked the result by switching to a complex martial arts move from Mixamo and it worked perfectly (well — my first attempt the shirt was only a tiny distance out from the body and a corner of it would bend into the body in some extreme poses, but I tweaked that and rebound...)

Attachments

• omnidude with shirt.jpg
    omnidude with shirt.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 968
Last edited:
It's the default binding method used by Cheetah 3d. You add a skeleton tag to a mesh, drag the root bone into its listbox, and then click Bind Mesh (the binding method used is, by default, "heat").

By and large heat binding works almost perfectly for most of the kinds of things you're likely to do in C3D.

Edit:

Here's my "omnidude" figure – I quickly modeled a shirt (by selecting some bits of him and doing a normal move, I also extruded out a bit of a collar) and then I simply used heat binding. I then checked the result by switching to a complex martial arts move from Mixamo and it worked perfectly (well — my first attempt the shirt was only a tiny distance out from the body and a corner of it would bend into the body in some extreme poses, but I tweaked that and rebound...)

OH! so it is basically the same as vertex weighting but called in a different way....in the end you select how much a bone is affecting a specific number of ploys and deform accordingly.

So you just copied parts of the original mesh and that was enough to copy also the heat binding? This would solve the second problem (moving the rig to the clothes)!

I think that I will get soon some results here with the clothes!

OH! so it is basically the same as vertex weighting but called in a different way....in the end you select how much a bone is affecting a specific number of ploys and deform accordingly.

So you just copied parts of the original mesh and that was enough to copy also the heat binding? This would solve the second problem (moving the rig to the clothes)!

I think that I will get soon some results here with the clothes!

How did you do any success?

Back