Crystal Rose (Now w/animation!)

Crystal Rose (Now w/animation!)

At Martin's request, I've put together a tutorial on how to create a Crystal Rose, which has been posted both here and in the Online Gallery. The tutorial deals with modelling a rose (or any flower, really), lighting, reflection, and glass materials.

That is, the tutorial aims to show you how to create this:

cyberose.jpg

Tutorial: 1.3Mb PDF can be found here.

Scene: 1.4Mb DMG file can be found here.

A 1.2Mb animation of the rose can be found here. It comprises a 3-second fly-by of the rose, in the highest quality I could find, so that you can see how good looking the thing is from every angle. You think your machine is slow? This video took 75 hours for me to render.

Any suggestions and feedback would be great. If you have any questions, by all means post them here. Futhermore, please post your own flowers, if you make one - I'd love to see what people make of this, particularly because I tried to make the tutorial itself open-ended.

An animation of the final rose is on the way, and will be posted as soon as it's finished rendering. I'm currently accepting donations for a dual 2.7Ghz G5, but in the meantime we'll have to deal with my G3 in all it's glory ;)

EDIT: Added inline image of final result.

Wow, great tutorial Randy (David?) I look forward to working through this one to learn more about this groovy program.

Do you do requests?

Hi Allister - glad you liked the tutorial. =)

Yep, my real name is David. I do requests, but no promises - I'm reasonably busy with school, and I'm hardly a god with Cheetah. I'll do my best, though :p

Yeah,
lets get things started. :D You've written an amazing tutorial David. Great work. I'm sure it will help many people.

Thank you very much,
Martin

P.S. Maybe you could also attach a image of your rose to your original post. So everybody can see the result of the tutorial immidiately. You can easily edit your original post.

Martin said:
P.S. Maybe you could also attach a image of your rose to your original post. So everybody can see the result of the tutorial immidiately. You can easily edit your original post.

Done - thanks for the suggestion. =)

Holy cr@p. Very professionally done. I'd like to make a motion that randywang does all the tutorials. Any seconds?

Jake said:
Holy cr@p. Very professionally done. I'd like to make a motion that randywang does all the tutorials. Any seconds?

Egads!

I'd better get paid for this :p

And at some point I should maybe work out how to do more than make pretty flowers and surprised characters...

oh, yeah!

Excellent, excellent! When i saw that model/rendering in the gallery, it really got me pumped as to what might be possible with Cheetah. It was my eventual goal to figure out how to achieve similar results. And now you've shared all the secrets.

I must admit, i haven't worked through it yet--i was just so excited to see the tutorials forum, and then to find the ULTIMATE tutorial. Yaaay! Thanks so much!

BTW, i'd be willing to toss a few bucks in the hat....

If you have SketchUp, there's a whole bunch of us that would be eager to see a tutorial on material application ... ;-)

Allister said:
If you have SketchUp, there's a whole bunch of us that would be eager to see a tutorial on material application ... ;-)

Well, if someone were to give me a copy, I'd be more than happy to... :p

RandyWang said:
Well, if someone were to give me a copy, I'd be more than happy to... :p

Ah, that's a problem then ... have you tried the demo, it lasts for eight hours? I'd be happy to give you some 3ds files for you to play with in Cheetah, buidlings and things

Hi,
I personally would be for a rubber duck or dog tutorial. A character modelling tutorial would be absolutely amazing. :wink:

But it's your decision what you make next. That are just ideas. Everything you make would be fine for me. :D

By,
Martin

Well, since I have a fair amount of school work to do at the moment (English Extension... grrr...), I'll probably just spend my time playing around with modelling characters so I can (hopefully) get good enough to make a tutorial on them. Characters like the iDevil and the Egads! dude are extremely eash to make, so I'd be more interested in making a tutorial on a dog... or a kitten. A kitten would be awesome.

As for SketchUp, I'll probably be able to afford it at some point in the future. First, however, I need a job, but I'm working on that :p

Finally, I wouldn't complain if you sent some nice models my way - apart from anything else, they'd probably look cool. =)

sketchup material integration

Sketchup does offer an amazing deal for students - only $99USD for the downloaded version. I just bought Cheetah this morning and have been playing around with it for most of the day trying to figure out how to integrate the materials I have used in my Sketchup model. I find when I export the 3ds model, a little .jpg of the material comes with it. I made a copy of the .jpg and in Photoshop converted it to greyscale and adjusted the brightness and contrast to create a matching bump map to go along with the texture. This seemed to work pretty well.

Randolph

Re: sketchup material integration

Randolph said:
Sketchup does offer an amazing deal for students - only $99USD for the downloaded version.

Sadly, though, a sixteen year old Australian school student with no job often finds it quite hard to raise such a large amount of US$99, so I suspect it will be some time before I can use SketchUp enough to write any kind of tutorial on using it with Cheetah, short of someone donating a copy unto me (cough, cough).

Thanks for telling me about that, by the way - I hadn't noticed just how good their student deal was. =)

Re: G3

Startyger said:
waiting to be paid so i can do that on a mini LOL

You think you're so cool, with your vector unit and your massively higher clockspeed and your speedbumped frontside bus...

Bastard. ;)

This post was originally posted by Maxfron in another thread and has been move to this thread:

awesome tutorial david, i'm pretty new with this stuff though, and i need help on one part. sorry if it seems like a terrible question. the part with the ring selection, expanding, and subdivision. i try to do that to smooth the sharp edge out, but it doesnt seem to do that. the edge stays sharp, no matter how many times i subdivide.

Thanks for the help

Back