Cheetah3D 5.7 Beta 2

Tube scaling

Hi Martin,

I make a lot of tubes in my projects. Unfortunately having an Outside Radius function throws off my work. I think the outside of the tube should be defined by the X and Z scale fields, and get rid of the Outer Radius and keep the Inner Radius.

Please see illustration.

Attachments

• tubescaling.jpg
    tubescaling.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 454
Please don´t mix parametric mode with edit mode. To adjust a parametric object just use the values at the properties tab. It always should stay in 1:1:1 scale, otherwise you will get shearing when rotating objects e.g.

Cheers
Frank

Thanks for your quick response.

I am using the parametric adjustments, I am not scaling by making the object editable. By experimenting, I can see that if I leave the Outer Radius to .05 and only adjust Inner Radius to the wall thickness I need, everything is okay. I was treating the Inner Radius and Outer Radius as scaling units instead of percentages of scaling unit (though they are not really percentages since .5≠1).

I would still recommend getting rid of the Outer Radius since someone using the tube needs control over wall thickness only, and Inner Radius handles that by itself.

I think Frank's point is that you're making life complicated by touching the scale values. Inner radius and outer radius work exactly as advertised -- don't touch scale.

I would still recommend getting rid of the Outer Radius since someone using the tube needs control over wall thickness only, and Inner Radius handles that by itself.

This makes no sense at all unless you're using a mixture of scale and inner radius and an ASSUMED outer radius.

I can´t follow you here. Sorry.

Cheers
Frank

Attachments

• TubeRadius.jpeg
    TubeRadius.jpeg
    42.8 KB · Views: 444
I am using Scale so that I have a unit by which to measure. Perhaps there is a different way to do this? For example, I have a glass tube with a 4mm outside diameter and 3mm inside diameter. That gives a wall thickness of .5mm. I have a cap for that tube. The base of the cap fits inside the neck of the tube, so its diameter is 3mm. The top of the cap is 4.5mm, so it extends over the tube.

I am using Scaling units as if they equal millimeters. Since I am doing scientific illustration (measuring real objects with a micrometer and calipers), it is necessary to have a universal scale for the objects, and not just an approximate scale.

It seems since I am making tubes, the tube object would be appropriate, but I've also experimented with the Boolean Creator which allows me to keep my outside diameter and inside diameter in Scaling units.

Last edited:
Really - you can have all this - in "real world" units if you like. I can´t see any issue here.

Cheers
Frank

Attachments

• TubeScale.jpeg
    TubeScale.jpeg
    43.1 KB · Views: 434
Oh boy

I've been using Scaling to set the size of my objects. Obviously this is wrong, wrong, wrong.

Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• setting_object_size.jpg
    setting_object_size.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 434
Hi Martin,

The new update has improved and corrected all the bugs I had trouble with in 5.6. Excellent work!! I like the new ability to change the camera lines to a different, brighter color, and the fact they stick around when selecting other objects. The new drag/drop in the Object browser works flawlessly now, the rotation of the joints with UK handles works again,

Thanks again! :icon_thumbup: :cool:

EDIT: Hi Martin, Actually, that part about the joints being adjusted in the view window at position 100,000,100,000,100,000 still float away from their position. I was originally just moving the character, but once I looked a bit deeper, that still needs adjustment so when freely rotating or moving the joints so far from 0 0 0, they continue to float away as long as the mouse is held down.

I remember you said that will take some more time to correct.

Last edited:
Here is a animation I made with it!

Here are some animations I made with it!

Shammoo.jpg

test logo for Buzz.jpg

Like them???
The image above is a render of a logo for a animated short I am working on!
Thanks for reading!

-E.B. Studios

Here are some animations I made with it!

Like them???
The image above is a render of a logo for a animated short I am working on!
Thanks for reading!

-E.B. Studios

I like that beagle dog you designed.

On Topic: 5.7, The color change ability customization is very nice, but I have to admit the default colors are easy to work with as they are for most windows and items, so it was already a great color layout.

Back