Fake iPad 3 Photos

Fake iPad 3 Photos

Here's the goal -- create a fake iPad 3 photo (make sure it looks grungy!) or a set taken from several angles. The idea is to produce an image that will fool rumor-mongering idiots.

Some inspiration:

http://www.appleinsider.com/article...s_in_china_with_flat_back_larger_speaker.html

(Fake? You decide.)

Remember, it's the flaws that sell these things. Bad lighting. Bits of tape. Scratches. Bad focus. Scuff-marks. Over- or under-exposure. Crappy setting.

If we do this right it could be a HUGE amount of free publicity for C3D ;-)

If you don't like iPads, there's the iPhone Nano and iPhone 5. The problem with desktop devices is that they don't require cases so there tend to be no leaks.

Last edited:
Well, since nobody else has entered yet, I might as well put up my lame entry. :rolleyes:

-- GS

Attachments

• iPad3.jpg
    iPad3.jpg
    301.5 KB · Views: 2,296
  • heh.jpg
    heh.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 1,737
Good one GS! :icon_thumbup:
the FlexibleScreen is really a nice idea BTW.

here's what I'm working on ATM (thanks Frank for discovering each of my newbie mistakes :rolleyes: ):
- specific 4core processor;
- new RetinaHD display in 16:9;
- iOS Lion.

to do:
- 5Mpx camera with HD video rec (upper right corner, with microphone in the lower left)
- ergonomic handle;
- included SmartPen for high precision drawing;
- specific Cheetah3D 6i bundled :tongue:

cheers,
Alessandro

Attachments

• iPad3a.jpg
    iPad3a.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 1,655
Hmmm

I think to look like a plausible rumor photo it needs to be badly exposed and of a non-functional mockup. The idea is that you're some guy working at a third party case manufacturer or subcontract component manufacturer who covertly snapped a photo of some part he/she was entrusted with and posted it online.

I like the opposed corners Alessandro, although I don't think Apple would release such a thing :)

Oh -- and nothing gives away a fake like having "iPad 3" emblazoned on the back of a render in giant type.

1) The actual "iPad 2" has "iPad" written on the back (in quite small type). See the photographs here:

http://www.apple.com/ipad/specs/

2) Photos of prototype versions from third parties often have tape covering up stuff on the back (often because the person taking the photograph doesn't want to get in trouble, and there's probably a traceable serial number on it).

3) The last thing someone publishing one of these photos will do is include their hand in the picture. If you get caught, you will probably lose your job. So you're going to avoid having anything in the photo that will get traced back to you.

Last edited:
Oh -- and nothing gives away a fake like having "iPad 3" emblazoned on the back of a render in giant type.

1) The actual "iPad 2" has "iPad" written on the back (in quite small type). See the photographs here:

http://www.apple.com/ipad/specs/

2) Photos of prototype versions from third parties often have tape covering up stuff on the back (often because the person taking the photograph doesn't want to get in trouble, and there's probably a traceable serial number on it).

3) The last thing someone publishing one of these photos will do is include their hand in the picture. If you get caught, you will probably lose your job. So you're going to avoid having anything in the photo that will get traced back to you.

The main reason I did it was so other people would start doing this again. :D
If I ever think about doing a more serious entry I'll follow your suggestions this time. ;)

PS: Thanks, Alessandro! :D Your entry is really really cool! :D

-- GS

Not too blurred, not too sharp :)

Personally, I think the key would be faking a flash photo. (Flash photos will be sharp because the exposure will be short.)

These images were leaked by an undisclosed source in China. It's not known whether this is a prototype that never went to market, or an unreleased model, but there's some speculation that it may be one of range of new iPhone models to be announced in September and available in time for the holiday season.

Note that device appears to have the iPhone4 design "language" but be significantly thicker to accommodate what appears to be a 4:3 system lens mount and sensor. Based on the size of the lens mount relative to the device as a whole, it appears to be larger than the iPhone4 in other dimensions too, perhaps to accommodate a larger screen — but no images of the other side of the device were shown. There's no sign of the silver Apple and identification text, and no visible lines in the metal frame, so it's not clear whether it has an iPhone4-style antenna.

It's also possible this is a product from some other company (Panasonic or Samsung, say) designed to look like an Apple product. Panasonic makes 4:3 system cameras, but doesn't tend to use copycat designs. Samsung seems to be invested in its own NX line of interchangeable lens cameras, so who can tell?

The latest Panasonic 4:3 camera, the GH2, has a hybrid 18MP sensor able to shoot in multiple aspect ratios at 16MP, as well as 1080p60 video.

Attachments

• iPhone5 distant.jpg
    iPhone5 distant.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 733
  • iPhone5 lens mount detail.jpg
    iPhone5 lens mount detail.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 756
  • iPhone5 middle.jpg
    iPhone5 middle.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 729
Actually if these were not fake I'll take one with pleasure. I like the design and in general they pretty much looks nice:icon_thumbup:

Back