Black Skylight

Black Skylight

I have been using the skylight to illuminate many renders without a problem, but I have reached a dead-end on my current render.

If I set the skylight shadow for "none" it works normally, but when I set it for either "raytrace" or "raytrace + trans" the render proceeds to calculate radiosity (the usual red dots on the white background) but the final render is totally black.

If the camera setting for shadows is off, then the render works with all three skylight shadow settings, but then there are no shadows in the render.

I'm not having this problem on other files, but I can't figure out what is happening in this instance.

Thanks for any suggestions.

That sounds quite strange to me. If I set the clock before 6am (leaving other settings to default) the sun falls beyond the horizon but still renders kind of nightly atmosphere. You can use a small "Radius" to bring the sun object into your scene "visually" BTW. Have you checked "Geometry"

Can you post your empty scene?

Cheers
Frank

Mac G4 OS X 10.4.11, C3D 5.1.1

I tried rotating the skylight but with the same results:

sky-shadow-none.jpg Skylight shadows = none

sky-shadow-raytrace.jpg Skylight shadows = raytrace

sky-shadow-ray-=trans.jpg Skylight shadows = raytrace + trans

I found the culprit, but I would appreciate any insight into what happened. There was an extra box that doesn't show up in the scene, even after I colored it red. When I deleted it, the skylight rendered normally with shadows. Mysterious. Explanation?

Thanks

box.jpg

I´m under the impression your scene is in hefty large size.
So by chance your box is too tiny to get recognised. Hit the haircross at the top right to "focus camera" on the selected box and tell if it´s visible then.
The model is imported as it got flipped normals I guess. And don´t rotate the sunlight object; move it by adjusting the time instead and it looks like you still don´t have checked on "Geometry" in its properties.
Mysterious? Yes - from here.

Cheers
Frank

Interesting topic.

Clipping Sky:
On this topic of skies, is there a way to expand the sky beyond the render limit? I have a sphere sky that reached the edge of the renderer's limit if I make it too big, so anything beyond the limit doesn't appear, just the default camera background color in the render.

Probably best to start smaller? I didn't anticipate there would be a limit to how far the renderer could render before things start disappearing.

Back