UV mapping=???

Take your time.
Here´s the bisected bird I was talking about with a started paint over inside Cheetah3d: that involved more advanced tools like UV pinning along the middle e.g. to confuse a little bit more. :D
bisectedBird.jpg

Cheers
Frank

Last edited:
I'm not sure this is what I want...
Not even sure how I got here! :)
Also, I'd need to attach psd files to each wing and to the body. I guess I'd export the PDF, place the raster images, then import it as a material?

Attachments

• bird_unwrap.jpg
    bird_unwrap.jpg
    492.6 KB · Views: 236
Good start.
Grab these 4 points, 2 at the time for an island and straighten them out vertically by scaling and try to make them the same height - Call Toggle pinned UV - then unwrap with ABF again.
bird_unwrap.jpg

PS: PDF can be opened anywhere - just make sure to keep the square.

They are about the same size now. Why is the bottom map so distorted Frank?
Also, one wing is overlapping, is there a solution?
And do they all need to be within the square (if so can I select them and reduce, or somehow make the square larger).

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-08-22 at 5.15.19 PM copy.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-08-22 at 5.15.19 PM copy.jpg
    293.2 KB · Views: 254
Please look into the file I forgot to attach with the half bird - especially in point mode you see the pinned UVs that help to prevent overlapping:
The process is to grab a point - make it a "pinned UV" (Toggle Pinned UV) and drag it to a new spot - in polygon-mode with the selected island unwrap again. When it´s still overlapping drag pinned UV again - unwrap - till you´re satisfied with the result. If you want to select a row of points you need to edge loop select in 3d view - go Selection->convert to Points - points will now be highlighted in UV editor. The editing was done in an upright position of the islands and just to max out the template I rotate the UVs. The template can´t be resized as it is virtually everything square in pixel size - as you wish during export from your painting app.
PinnedUVs.jpeg

Cheers
Frank

Attachments

• H_UV test4U2.jas.zip
    71.1 KB · Views: 232
  • Test Firebird.tiff.zip
    15.3 KB · Views: 227
Frank, I can't thank you enough. I think at least I undrestand how to do it from here on out. Although I admit, I don't understand completely why the unwrapping doesn't project symmetrically. Attached is what the map looks like (needs a bit of finessing). It's is supposed to be a painted Huichol carved wooden hummingbird and is going to be used in an AR art installation by my friends. Also attached are 2 problem areas that, in this case don't seem to be a problem, but I'd like to have your opnion on them. Thank you again so much. I'd like to repay you for your time, please let me do something!

Attachments

• bird1.jpg
    bird1.jpg
    271.5 KB · Views: 236
  • bird2.jpg
    bird2.jpg
    271.2 KB · Views: 242
  • problem areas 1.jpg
    problem areas 1.jpg
    400.2 KB · Views: 240
  • problem areas 2.jpg
    problem areas 2.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 237
1. Please check the seams. Probably the loop took a wrong turn. Toggle and assign again.
2. I guess it´s the same like 1. select those and hit the hair-cross to get to this selection in 3d view and fix the seams accordingly.

Cheers
Frank

Attachments

• H_UV test.jas.zip
    105.1 KB · Views: 229
Back