Cheetah3D 5.6 preview

It would be interesting to know how many expect or even know that feature.

As I said. I know that it is a default feature but I personally consider it a wast of modifier keys.

I'm not disagreeing with you, but it's what a lot of people expect and I can't even see how one is supposed to disable it. As for the "two finger + click" — it's in the little gesture tutorial built into system preferences. So I don't know how many people know about it, but certainly once you learn it you don't go back :)

Screen%20shot%202010-11-04%20at%204.08.47%20PM.png

Definitely upgrading

the new tool features look great!

Do you know if it can export models to IGES or a format that can be *edited* in Solidworks?

Thanks for the video!:icon_thumbup:

(this is in reference to Mark's vide demo of 5.6 upgrades- posted to wrong thread. )

Last edited:
Solidworks anc open and view but cannot edit the STLs from cheetah3D...

I waas hoping for something that would allow a manufacturer to edit the models to their specs... and solidworks seems to be the (at least one of the) pro standard apps.

Thanks!

Solidworks anc open and view but cannot edit the STLs from cheetah3D...

To my knowledge, STL is not really intended to be edited, but to be read by prototyping machines. There's quite some difference between the solidworks NURBS files and the facetted Cheetah STL. CAD type Applications usually save their data to an ACIS compatible format that consists of curve and spline definitions of objects opposed to Polygon type 3d apps, where objects are made of quads, tris and ngons. The only real way to get a poly-modeled object into a CAD app for editing is to rebuilt the surface with NURBS and solids. It's a lot easier the other way round...:rolleyes:

greetings, S.

Edit: Someone, who developed a lossless conversion tool from subD to real Nurbs and the other way round would float on his own 30-meters-yacht in the monte carlo bay in no time... :D

Last edited:
To my knowledge, STL is not really intended to be edited, but to be read by prototyping machines. There's quite some difference between the solidworks NURBS files and the facetted Cheetah STL. CAD type Applications usually save their data to an ACIS compatible format that consists of curve and spline definitions of objects opposed to Polygon type 3d apps, where objects are made of quads, tris and ngons. The only real way to get a poly-modeled object into a CAD app for editing is to rebuilt the surface with NURBS and solids. It's a lot easier the other way round...:rolleyes:

greetings, S.

Agreed, you need a parametric modeling app really not a polygon modeler.

Does such a thing exist in the same price range as Cheetah3D and for Macs?

btw, thanks for that very detailed reply Sebastian!!

Jesse

Does such a thing exist in the same price range as Cheetah3D and for Macs?

Jesse

MoI 299$ would be my first choice but Win only (runs in Parallel).
ViaCAD (99$ 2D/3D and 249$ pro) SharkFX currently on sale at 495$(instead of 1700)
Rhino, in (free) beta dev now (not sure if commercial work is allowed though)

You're welcome. I tried ViaCad (the 99$ Version) and I think, if your Objects aren't getting any more complex than the screenshot you posted, this app will do the job. Beware: It's another type of modeling, and takes some time getting used to... ;) Unfortunately, the guys from Punch! (the makers of Viacad and Shark) removed their trial versions from the website for no reason...

In addition, there's also Bonzai3d from AutodeSys, which is 399$ – It feels like Sketchup on crack and can output ACIS compatible .SAT files

EDIT: Seems, this discussion belongs to another corner of the Forum – can we move it?

Last edited:
Does it out put to IGES and Solidworks friendly formats?

.SAT or .STEP should be fine for Solidworks. just get the trial version and try it... BTW: The trial is flly functional with saving and exporting – if t doesn't take you more than 30 days to build your stuff, you could get away with $0.00 :wink:

I tried ViaCad (the 99$ Version) and I think, if your Objects aren't getting any more complex than the screenshot you posted, this app will do the job. Beware: It's another type of modeling, and takes some time getting used to... ;) Unfortunately, the guys from Punch! (the makers of Viacad and Shark) removed their trial versions from the website for no reason...

I agree (I own a copy of both v.6 and v.7 - ViaCAD 2D/3D, but rarely use it). I still have the demo of ViaCAD pro v.6 (current version) if you wanna test it (300Mb download)

As for the "two finger + click" — it's in the little gesture tutorial built into system preferences. So I don't know how many people know about it, but certainly once you learn it you don't go back :)

Screen%20shot%202010-11-04%20at%204.08.47%20PM.png

I use it all the time. A simple two finger tap pulls up the right-click menu. I prefer the trackpad to a mouse any day, but the lack of 3 buttons (or at least a 3rd button "tap") makes it a rather stupid design.

Hi,
here is a short movie showing some of the new features in Cheetah3D 5.6.

(URLS removed to avoid duplicating the videos in this posting)

Sorry for the quite questionable quality of the movie.:wink: But I hope it gives you an idea of the features I'm working on.

Bye
Martin

Frank: I found Martin's video (the second one of the two above) to be a very helpful tutorial, but it seems to be in a part of the web site that's inaccessible except by "deep link" -- as in, you have to just use the URL. Is there a way to find out what other videos are available on the web site please?

The specific URL is http://cheetah3d.com/download/videos5/snapping.mov

I get (not unexpected) 403 Forbidden errors if I try to go to, for example:

http://cheetah3d.com/download/videos5/
or
http://cheetah3d.com/download/

If I go to the main web site, I can get only to:
http://www.cheetah3d.com/download.php

Are there indeed other useful videos in
http://www.cheetah3d.com/download/
please?

Thanks in advance
Andy.

Hi Andy
I have no clue how to help here. I don´t think the URLs of Martin´s video postings follow a specific strategy. ;)
There are videos to buy listed here: http://www.cheetah3d.com/training.php
I have tons kept at Screencast.com - but I don´t have a list either.
Better ask when you experience a certain show stopper and I will see if I can help you out or find a beneficial resource for you.

Cheers
Frank

So my dreams of a hidden treasure cave of videos are shattered! :)

Ah well -- I just figured there was some way of accessing "sister" videos in the same folder without knowing their file names.

I've purchased the training videos, and unfortunately, without the URLs, I cannot see your screencast.com tutorials -- I have an account and there's no "sharing" of videos (unlike Vimeo.com where they can be made public).

I'm sure you will have given URLs on the forum, so I can search for those.

Regards
Andy.

PS: I'm a moderator over on a forum for airborne photography using multi-rotor aircraft (forum.freeflysystems.com) and I know how much effort it takes -- so let me thank you for your efforts -- I can see the degree to which you contribute to this forum.

Back