Cheetah3D 5.6 preview

It looks good but it is misleading. I remember finding it confusing that the C3D transform widget had cube widgets for scaling (like Silo) but a central cube that was for ... what? ("things that behave differently should look different" to paraphrase Bruce Tognazzini).

Surely there's something that will look good but not imply it is a scaling device. Perhaps a small wire square or circle.

BTW by default if I create a cube in a blank document I get a grey cube widget on a grey cube on a grey background. I think it would be nice if C3D didn't default to making grey on grey on grey.

I've replaced the cube with an almost white ball. Looks quite nice.

Concerning the many grey shaded you are probably right. But what would be the alternative?

Bye
Martin

I've replaced the cube with an almost white ball. Looks quite nice.

Concerning the many grey shaded you are probably right. But what would be the alternative?

Bye
Martin

Honestly, I'd like a pref that I can change. Nothing complex just a small palette with a handful of choices. Personally, I'd like an off white background for the 3D view but that might not be right for other users.

3DS Max for many years would randomly assign a color to material-less objects. It's garish but it works.

I'd suggest simply making the default background color somewhat darker grey, and making the default objects slightly lighter.

Good news on the sphere :)

Martin,
Just out of curiosity, how long does it take from start to finish, to program a tiny transform center square icon into a sphere related to the above posts? 5 minutes, 1 hour, 1 day?

I'm not a programmer, so have no idea how long these things take, but it would definitely give me an appreciation of what's involved. :confused:

Martin,
Just out of curiosity, how long does it take from start to finish, to program a tiny transform center square icon into a sphere related to the above posts? 5 minutes, 1 hour, 1 day?

I'm not a programmer, so have no idea how long these things take, but it would definitely give me an appreciation of what's involved. :confused:

This costed by far the least time. Maybe 15 min. including testing.:wink:

Bye
Martin

3DS Max for many years would randomly assign a color to material-less objects. It's garish but it works.

I didn't know that but that explains some 3DS Max screenshots I have in mind. And the first thing I thought was if the artist was on LSD. That's nothing for me.:wink:

I'd suggest simply making the default background color somewhat darker grey, and making the default objects slightly lighter.

If you make the background darker you have to make the grid almost black. I've tried that many years ago.

I'm also not a fan of dark UIs. With the glossy screens of todays iMac and MacBooks dark UIs are even more evil.:wink:

So for the first I will keep the color scheme as it is. When the Preferences window is rewritten (with a nice toolbar) I will add a colors panel to adjust some colors. So everybody can adjust it to his personal taste.

Bye
Martin

Martin, these days, almost every 3D app has gone to a gradient background, even crusty old maya. I personally find it more pleasant to look at. Would this be something you might consider? As far as solid viewport backdrops go, I quite like the default in blender 2.5. It's a very comfortable shade.

... but if you don't want cheetah any darker, fair enough, just mentioning what I like...

Rock on!

-NC

I would suggest setting options under the Preferences section, whereby the user(s) can choose their own color schemes. This would eliminate the likely complaints about changing the colors for various tools and UI elements to the "wrong" one. Of course, you may want to limit what exactly can be changed, but at least the major elements, perhaps. Meanwhile, this may also be an appropriate time to reiterate the notion of adding hotkey operations such as Shift, Command, etc. to the Preferences section.

glad to hear such good news
by the way,glad too to hear from MrChimp
i miss your humor and passion
sniff

Shucks, Antonio, I missed you too.

Oh, and I know you are busy slinging code most of the time, Martin, but, please, don't be shy, that was a nice little vid, and it's nice to hear the developers voice. I'm a sucker for video demonstrations... I wouldn't mind seeing more... :)

-NC

I didn't know that but that explains some 3DS Max screenshots I have in mind. And the first thing I thought was if the artist was on LSD. That's nothing for me.:wink:

If you make the background darker you have to make the grid almost black. I've tried that many years ago.

I'm also not a fan of dark UIs. With the glossy screens of todays iMac and MacBooks dark UIs are even more evil.:wink:

So for the first I will keep the color scheme as it is. When the Preferences window is rewritten (with a nice toolbar) I will add a colors panel to adjust some colors. So everybody can adjust it to his personal taste.

Bye
Martin

Hi Martin,

This might be a silly request.
Its just an idea, but could it be made possible for the user to adjust the transparancy of the background in the future too, so one could see through it?
This can come in handy when working with reference material.
For example: rotoscoping or copying motion (or camera movement) from a reference movie (or storyboard) which is played in a window behind cheetah...

Greetings,
Filip

Excellent

Hi Martin,

Thanks for the great video of upcoming features. That was really helpful.

I agree with Chimp, this is a vastly superior way to convey the information. Did you happen to do any videos for any of the previous updates?

Thanks again,

Rick

Hi Martin,

I'm still learning C3D, but the features you have discussed in the video (gadget,normal move, multiple select& transform, object wire-frame) are quite nice. :) :)

Any idea on 5.6 release date, maybe a month more or so?

Introducing features via the videos are quite cool and easy to pick-up. :icon_thumbup:
Would like to have these videos in/for future releases. :)

keep on enjoying :)

re: Cheetah3D 5.6 preview

Martin

Would it be possible to code things so that we can hold down the shift key when changing values and have the arrows skip 10 units at a time? That would certainly save a lot of clicking.

Martin

Would it be possible to code things so that we can hold down the shift key when changing values and have the arrows skip 10 units at a time? That would certainly save a lot of clicking.

That's the way Cinema4D does things - quantize is applied when holding the shift key on scaling, rotation and movement. I think it would be a welcome addition to Cheetah3D

Thanks Martin. 15 minutes for the inner sphere of the Transform sounds good.

I really enjoy the animation copy/paste/delete options. Looking forward to new additions or updates to the animation and characters.

I plan to release a beta version within the next 14 days. I still have to polish some stuff.

Bye
Martin

can't wait to check it out ;-).

don't know if it is the right time or place but...if I change my folder setting from wire to bounding box for example, it would be great if every child object got the same effect...(I saw this in the wishlist thread months ago, too)...or simply if you select more objects an change one's setting...effecting the other selected, too.

I know... lots of different wishes...just wanted to share it ;-)

Back