Two rings

Two rings

Hi all!
It's been a while since I've posted anything on the Gallery forum. Inspired by Demsay Rock's excellent piece, I decided to try my hand at jewelry making too :)
Comments welcome.

Attachments

• two-rings.jpg
    two-rings.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 784
Last edited:
great work Andreu :icon_thumbup:
and nice to have some new gallery stuff from you...

my only little critic is about the gems which seem a little "flat" (but I know how hard is to bring some more "life" into them without dispersion... maybe you could try with a different HDRI or some node trick?)

cheers,
Alessandro

Last edited:
Hi all!
Thanks for all the input, guys and gals. Here I am again with the jewels. I did try archie's suggested material for the stones, but imo it's a bit fakey and not what I was looking for. It's a good material tho. In the end, I played with caustics, created my own material from scratch (rather than using the built in diamond material), I did a bit of post-processing, and this is the result. I still consider it a WIP, but it's more or less finished.

Attachments

• jewels.jpg
    jewels.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 679
The gems just don't look sparkly enough yet, which is probably more lighting setup than anything else. A typical jewellery store has a buttload of small bright recessed lights in the ceiling for the exact purpose of making everything glitter.

That is a god idea. I think I'll try that. Thanks!
The gems just don't look sparkly enough yet, which is probably more lighting setup than anything else. A typical jewellery store has a buttload of small bright recessed lights in the ceiling for the exact purpose of making everything glitter.

great render andreu !

i don't think lights work as particles, you may try a ceiling plane with white dots, transparent with emissive dots if you have a hdri.

- archie

Hi all, here is an update of the file, with some depth of field. It will probably the last render here. This was a good study for me, learned a few things. The next one will probably be a 5.6 project :)

Attachments

• two rings.jpg
    two rings.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 439
Hi all again.

Here's my last render for this one. I think this is as good a jewel effect as I think I can get, I'm pretty happy with it. The key is using a good HDRI, but also turning the option "background" on for the HDRI.

There's one little preview render technique I developed during this job, which I'd like to share. It involves making a copy of the main camera, putting it inside the main camera (as a child), and changing specifically three settings (shown in the picture below) so that you can get quick preview renders. I attach one of these preview renders to give you an idea of what I'm talking about. The time spent in these preview renders is significantly less than the one in the main render—about 5-10% of the time in the final render, or 1 minute as opposed to 10 minutes. I hope this helps!

Attachments

• new-jewel.jpg
    new-jewel.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 389
  • preview.jpg
    preview.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 385
  • screenshot.png
    screenshot.png
    45.1 KB · Views: 379
this last version is the best ever, Andreu. beautiful caustics too! :icon_thumbup:

and thanks for the tip :smile:

cheers,
Alessandro

Aside from the obvious good points on this render (rings, gems etc), I especially love the texture you did on the ring box.

Erin

Back