Modelling For The Rest Of Us (Part 1)

Modelling For The Rest Of Us (Part 1)

Hi guys,

A long time ago, I toyed with the idea of writing a short(ish) series of tutorials alongside the ones that are currently included with Cheetah3D, with the purpose of taking the reader through some of the less-used but more-important parts of the modeller and renderer. The project even reach the point where I asked Martin if he'd be interested in posting them on his site, but eventually foundered under a rapidly growing load of schoolwork on my part.

Well, fast-forward to today. As part of my ongoing attempts to build up a writing portfolio, and boredom over the last few weeks, the project has been revived. Part one of my six-part series (probably six parts, depending on what I forgot when I wrote the roadmap ;) ), "Modelling For The Rest Of Us", was recently posted at MacTeens.com, if anybody is interested in taking a look at it.

Now, I'm posting this here for two reasons:

1. I thought that somebody might learn something from it (hopefully).

2. To get a few more people into Cheetah3D - it's easily the nicest modelling software I've ever come across, so hopefully some of the readers there will think so too.

3. More importantly, though, I wanted some feedback on it from other experienced users of Cheetah3D - what do you think of this tutorial, and how can I improve in future installments? I'd be particularly interested in your comments on my writing style, technical accuracy, how well I explain how to do things, and anything else that needs attention.

The series will be running along the following topics:

1. Introduction to Basic Modelling
2. Advanced Modelling: Meshes, Polygon Tools, Perspective Control (EDIT: Oh, and Splines)
3. Useful Techniques: Cover/Transform, Subdivisions, Symmetry
4. Materials: Shaders, Texturing and UV Mapping
5. Advanced Rendering Techniques: Radiosity, HDRI, Antialiasing
6. Animation: F-Curves and Keyframes

But of course I'd be happy to alter this list, if you think it would improve the series as a whole.

Thanks, guys. I hope you like it. :)

Last edited:
Hi David,
I've just read your tutorial and you did an excellent job. :D :D The hole series will cover almost all aspects of Cheetah3D. That's great.

I can't await your upcomming tutorials. Do you plan to release the tutorials in a certain interval?

Thank you very much for writing the tutorial.

By,
Martin

P.S. I've seen that your tutorial is on the main page of http://macteens.com/which is also very cool :D

Hi Martin,

I'm very glad you liked the tutorial. :) I'm planning to slowly introduce more advanced features of the software as time permits, so the next part will be much more advanced than this - but hopefully, that won't make it much more difficult to understand.

I don't know how far apart the different installments in the series will be published, since it depends greatly on my editor's workload (and my own). I'm hoping to have them posted less than a fortnight apart, but I'll try to have as many written as possible within two weeks of today.

And yes, I thought you might like that it was posted on the front page. I've had a few people comment on it there, and generally they seem to like it too. ;)

Cheers,
David

Hi,
that sounds great. :D

RandyWang said:
I'm hoping to have them posted less than a fortnight apart, but I'll try to have as many written as possible within two weeks of today.

Wow, looks like you have a very tight schedule.

By,
Martin

Well, I only have two weeks of school holidays.. and when school goes back, I have a two-week period of exams. I want to have as many written as possible before then, so I won't have to worry about tutorials when I should be failing exams. ;)

Very nicely done

RandyWang said:
Hi guys,

I'd be particularly interested in your comments on my writing style, technical accuracy, how well I explain how to do things, and anything else that needs attention.

Hi Randywang

Read your article from start to finish and think it’s a winner. Your introductory sentence drew your target audience in nicely (even 3D phobic ones). You then eased them in slowly to new 3D concepts, letting them feel comfortable and build confidence all along the way. Your explanations were thorough and thoughtful and your examples were very manageable for a newbie. The placement of the graphics balanced the whole piece nicely. The length was very digestible for an introductory article. Look forward to your next piece.

Best regards,

3D tutorial (macteens)

Hi Randy,

I absolutely agree with irev's comments (which were well considered) and am looking forward to your next tutorial. I'm a newbie and have found it very easy to follow your instructions. Hope your exams go well.

Best regards,

A brief update:

irev and Will, many thanks for your comments. It took hours to get the first 100 words "just right", so I'm very glad that you appreciated them :D

I know it's been a very long time since the first tutorial with no second part since then, and I'm sorry about this. My aim to get a few new issues completed before the exams failed miserably, and now that I've finished them I need to get past two major assessments next Monday (a 2'500 word piece of historical analysis for History Extension, and a 15 minute oral for English). Sorry, but it looks like I won't have time to post it until a week or two from now. At the risk of sounding like George Broussard, the next part will be coming "really soon now". =)

As a side note, my exams went well. Even my worst results placed me within a couple of marks of my year group's average score, while I scored significantly above average in History and English - with them out of the way, I'll hopefully have time to finish editing Part 2 before too long.

Cheers,
David

Tutorials

Hi David,

Thanks for the update. Good to hear how well you progressed and best wishes with the rest of your exams.

Regards,
Will

Only 2 years late

Hi there

I don't suppose there's another source for these tutorials as I can't find them on the MacTeens site? I've googled it but to no avail.

Thanks for any help.

Dougie

Well well

well.
In the deepest corners of one of my harddiscs I was able to extrude that MacTeensMagazine spot on Cheetah3d by David Still.
With kindest regards
Frank

Attachments

• macteensMagCheetah3dDS.pdf.zip
    219.2 KB · Views: 676
Back