Mies, Barcelona and Zen. (minimalist interior WIP)

Mies, Barcelona and Zen. (minimalist interior WIP)

Hi all!
I finally found some time to model one of my fav piece of furniture of the XX century and although it's not finished yet I think it's time to share this WIP to get some useful suggestions and comments...
I built a simple scene around the lounge chair and stool and here I'm posting a couple of test renders with different material and radiosity settings (they're both still noisy 'cause I didn't raise radiosity samples). I found this scene is very sensitive to minor changes in radiosity settings. Current lighting setup is an HDRI (fill/general light), a distant point light with 8 samples (sun) and a very low area light inside the wardrobe (just to enhance frosted glass panels' appearance). Radiosity between 1.1 and 1.2.

Furniture modeled in Silo (mostly), Scene and all the rest in Cheetah. No post work.

Note that I used real world sizes (1 C3D unit = 1m) but the window is intentionally lower than a normal one (from .3 to 1.2 m), while the room is 2.5m high (the ceiling is just out of the frame...). On the chair cushion there are some artifacts, depending on low resolution and reflection (i think).

Thanks for watching...
Alessandro

some credits:
free HDRI by Tyrone Marshall
Bamboos are free .fbx from Turbosquid;
Cherry Tree is a (modified) Xfrog plant, exported from Bryce (oh yeah, with 7beta i can finally export objects from Bryce :smile: );
Rug made with Hiroto's hair script;
Leather texture is a (modified) procedural by archie;
Wood texturers are (modified) free samples from arroway-textures.com;
free Concrete texture from CGtextures.com;
Rug hair yarn textures made with Pixelmator from free stock photos;

Attachments

• Render05.jpg
    Render05.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 2,072
  • Render05a.jpg
    Render05a.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 1,135
...and some close-ups of the chair and stool. As I said it's still a WIP: I have to model the stripes in the metal frames, and to adjust some details (like some buttons) and deformations. I'll probably push the sculpting a little further in the future, to make it more realistic...
Base meshes modeled in Silo, cushion deformations applied in Cheetah (some Bends and Shears... BTW a FreeFormDeformation modifier would be sooo nice:smile: )

cheers,
Alessandro

Attachments

• Render02.jpg
    Render02.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 1,107
  • Render03.jpg
    Render03.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 1,115
  • Render04.jpg
    Render04.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 1,086
Fantastic! I love the low window. It looks purposeful and encourages you to sit down to enjoy the outside view. I do think you should post a close up render of the chair and stool :)

The first render is the better of the two. The wooden flooring and wardrobe doors/panels have a much more natural sheen and deeper colour. The rug colour could be a shade lighter but the 2nd one is too light and just doesn't look right to me.

It just needs a fridge full of Fosters to complete it ;)

Last edited:
I do think you should post a close up render of the chair and stool :)

...done :smile:

and thanks for your kind words, Jon. Indeed this is supposed to be a (large) bedroom, so I'm laying in the bed looking outside with the camera... ok, I know I should have modeled a part of the bed then, maybe I'll do it later :rolleyes:

the low window should produce some kind of distorted perspective, giving the illusion of a bigger (deeper) garden (I saw this in many urban japanese gardens, where the lack of space is a real problem)

cheers,
Alessandro

very elegant and tasteful as always Alessandro, :icon_thumbup:
A few comments though :

- the too obvious difference of colors of the wood panels on the wardrobe.
- love the bamboos and the cherry tree, and the low window, yet you block the amazing view with a concrete wall, that's unfortunate (and god knows i loooove concrete walls :smile: ...)

Christian

Very nice! I particularly love the rug... I am still having trouble with this kind of detail. However, looking and learning for you great artists and your posting is helping an old fart like me learn some new tricks! Thanks for sharing.

great chair models and renders, alessandro !
and great to see some accurately crumpled cushions !
(though for closeups some framework that actually holds the cushions and maybe a person too would be appropriate :smile: )

the room is nice too, but the lightning too even, no gradient, no shine/shade contrast.
i would make it darker with more light coming from the window or use some more accentuated spots.

just my 2 cents,

archie

update:
on a closer look there seems to be void spaces of the leather bump, maybe you need to set the mat tag to 3d instead of uv when using procedurals (though sometimes the uv works too, this is somewhat beyond me...)
-a

Last edited:
I love the render and the low windows too. The lighting is a bit blotchy but I guess that can be fixed by twiddling some settings.

thank you all for your kind comments and useful suggestions!

@DemsayRock: I will pay more attention to materials in the final shots :smile: ; about the concrete wall... I see your point, but in my mind this is supposed to be a small urban garden (where usually the view isn't that good), so this "enclosed" look and feel is what i was looking for

@tom28: thank you :smile:

@archie: I saw the leather bump issue but can't figure out where it comes from...; if you're saying the cushions seem to "fly" over the metal frame it's because I still have to model the stripes below; the light is quite uniform because the room is open (no walls behind the camera)... since the scene is about 4M polys i tried to keep radiosity samples quite low (if i remember well they're 400 for the first image and 600 for the second! ...no i7 here at the moment :wink: ) I will try different setups anyway

@podperson: i think the blotchy look depends on the radiosity settings, hopefully it will disappear in the final renders (see above)

hope to post some progress soon... stay tuned :smile:

cheers,
Alessandro

EDIT: just double checked the file... leather tangent space was indeed set to UV1, and changing it to 3D did the trick! I don't know why, I'm pretty sure I did it before, maybe I did not save changes (or saved to a different version). So one problem solved, thanks archie! funny the stool had the same settings but didn't show any issue...

Attachments

• Render04b.jpg
    Render04b.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 1,022
Last edited:
just one more thing: any comment about window glass reflections? in the first shot i have standard reflections at 100%, in the second glass default fresnel reflections... can't say which is better (and probably there's room for improvements in transparent materials reflection control...?)

cheers,
Alessandro

just one more thing: any comment about window glass reflections? in the first shot i have standard reflections at 100%, in the second glass default fresnel reflections... can't say which is better (and probably there's room for improvements in transparent materials reflection control...?)

cheers,
Alessandro

Shot number 2 looks pretty convincing to me.

Christian

Hi!
very busy with the real job these days, so very short time to play with Cheetah... but from time to time I need some distraction, so I added the stripes to the chair and arranged the cushions (still have to do it for the stool). unfortunately I see now I have forgotten to fix the "bad" button :rolleyes:

hopefully I'll be back with a new render of the room next week, trying to put some of the hints in practice :rolleyes:

cheers,
Alessandro

Attachments

• Render06.jpg
    Render06.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 444
  • Render07.jpg
    Render07.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 444
perfect renders, alessandro.
if you hadn't mentioned, i wouldn't have noticed the bad button :smile:
maybe the seat cushion is a bit too short for the frame in the second render, or am i fooled by the perspective ?

anyways, can't wait to see the whole room...

- archie

maybe the seat cushion is a bit too short for the frame in the second render, or am i fooled by the perspective ?

you're right... it's because I've been sitting there for too long now, I suppose :tongue:

...and thanks for your kind words! BTW congrats for your image in the official galley :icon_thumbup:

good night,
Alessandro

so it seems my chair has been censored :evil:

(kidding, I'm aware of the server issues...:cool: ;-) )

so here it is again for reference but I won't repeat the whole story... for those interested there's a post in my blog

cheetah render with a little post in Photoshop

cheers,
Alessandro

P.S.: I read all the disappeared comments so you don't have to post them again... and thanks for all the kind words BTW!

Attachments

• b2011_render_final_960.jpg
    b2011_render_final_960.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 345
so it seems my chair has been censored :evil:

(kidding, I'm aware of the server issues...:cool: ;-) )

so here it is again for reference but I won't repeat the whole story... for those interested there's a post in my blog

cheetah render with a little post in Photoshop

cheers,
Alessandro

P.S.: I read all the disappeared comments so you don't have to post them again... and thanks for all the kind words BTW!

Wow! Your website has changed a lot since I was there last! :D
It looks really professional! :D

-- GS

Back