Moebius ring

Moebius ring

I downloaded this free model of a Moebius shape from www.jotero.com. It's massive!! Polygons : 1.437.184, Vertices : 4.311.552 . Cheetah runs it, although I can see some white dots. Hope you like it!

Regards,

Peter

Attachments

• Moebius.jpg
    Moebius.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 1,650
Hi Frank, Thanks, I wasn't sure of the name. About the model, maybe you can contact Jotero (I think he's German), He makes lots of models like this. Maybe he can help you!

Regards,

Peter

Hi,
wow that is really a massive model. The white pixels aren't correct of course. I soon plan quite serious rewrites of the raytracing core. Maybe they will disappear from alone. :rolleyes:

Doing such a model in the real live looks like a live time job for me. Does that model really exist in real?

But it would look nice on my shelf between all my math books. :D

By,
Martin

If you like have a look at this gifted artist: Helaman Furguson

http://www.helasculpt.com/gallery/ariadnestorus

With kindest regards
Frank

Lieber Frank, seit ihr seit so vielen Jahren weiter gekommen mit diesem Ariadne Torus? Ich will das konstruieren, stehe aber mit diesem Ding geistig komplett an :-(((( bringt mich echt zum Verzweifeln, das ist ja keine klassische Moebius-Schleife - Ich wäre Dir so sehr dankbar, wenn Du mir BITTE weiterhelfen könntest?

danke für das Link zu Helaman Furgoson. diese Figur kenne ich seit vielen Jahren, nur hab ich nicht gewusst, wer sie erfunden hat!
Vielleicht ist das ja eine Moebius-Schleife mit 3-seitigem Profil??? Ich kann´s nicht :-(

Aha, ich sehe in meinen uralten Arbeiten, dass ich einen normalen Moebius-Band Körper durchaus zustande gebracht habe. Aber die Ariadne ist etwas anderes... :) glg, Gudrun

Hi Gudrun.
Ja - alleine die Ansichten verdrehen einem das Gehirn. Ich finde aber keine guten Abbildungen - und die Galerie von Helaman Furguson lädt hier nicht. Mal schauen.
Gruß
Frank

Eigentlich ganz einfach. Ich bekomme nur den "Kreis" nicht ganz geschlossen: Sweep muss ca 120° (1/3 Vollkreis) gedreht werden.
AriadneTorus.jpg

Gruß
Frank

Last edited:
* The problem with rotating a path based on a closed spline is the messy artefact at the end-to-start transition of the spline, generated by the counter-rotation of the spline describing the profile.
* Simple trickery (as demonstrated by Frank B) solves that.

* The sweep´s rotation depends on the cross section. If triangular multiples of 60°, if square multiples of 90°, extrapulate for pentagons, hexagons, etc.
* Depending on the specifics you get a single edged torus or a non-Möbius torus :)unsure: or something in between).
* For a spline tracked ball (or M. C. Escher´s ants) crawling along the edge or surface you presumably need a toroidal helix from the .js forum. You need to tailor that to the parameters of the pre-existing torus which should be trivial :mad:.

* The problem with rotating a path based on a closed spline is the messy artefact at the end-to-start transition of the spline, generated by the counter-rotation of the spline describing the profile.
Just true for fractions of a total 360° turn. This works just beautifully:
Ariadne upon Naxos.jpg

I´d expect at least an approximation of the ends when no "cover" option is active if not a closing is possible - and not that kind of "weird"-warping.
How is Rhino handling this simple setup?

Cheers
Frank

Last edited:
Thank you, Frank B!
* Re Rhino: I have to check that. I can´t offhand remember having used a rotated closed sweep so I need to experiment a bit. Unfortunately I discover to have forgotten a few of the basic steps :unsure::mad::poop:

Lieber Frank, Du bist toll, ich freu´ mich so über Dich und dieses Forum! :) Ich verwende immer noch eine uralte Version von Cheetah, wenn man´s nur alle 3 Jahre einmal braucht, kommt man total aus der Übung. Die Version 7 habe ich schon lange, doch noch niemals hab ich es geöffnet :)
Ich kann mich gar nicht genug bedanken :)))))

Back