Cheetah 4.7 and 3dconnexion space navigator

Hi,
I've never experienced that behavior.

Just make sure that the 3D view is currently active. If a text field or the object browser is currently active just move the mouse over the 3D view and the 3D view becomes active. Then the 3D view will receive the input from the space navigator again.

Bye
Martin

Hmm, I am having some trouble with the space navigator staying connected to Cheetah3D. It appears that after a render whenever I activate the render manager window, the connection is lost and i have to restart Cheetah3D.

Does anyone else have this issue?

I've reproduced the issue only once thus far, it appears that the connection can be broken when new floating windows are opened & the mouse pointer is focus inside the new window. In my case it didn't occur via the render window but with the opening of a new project window, however I was able to re-establish the connection by clicking inside of the 3d view window.

Using C3D 6.3.2 on MBPR 16GB - Nvidia GT650m 1GB OSX 10.10.3.

Hiya! Testing out 3D apps after a few years of not using them and considering Cheetah for the first time. Decent 3D mouse support is one of my top requirements so I am happy to see it is usable here!

I'd love to have a free camera mode for it, though. That's my preferred style of SpaceNavigating and I'd argue the most useful.

Is there documentation for the default functionality of a SpaceNavigator in Cheetah? I figured out by accident that the left button refocuses (and cannot be remapped in preferences?).

THANKS! For supporting 3D mice at all. :)

This is the video Catie and I made when we were helping the MODO (then modo :redface:) implement support.

Orbiting is easy but it's not useful once you learn to control the camera freely. It's hard to learn, but that applies to anything that pays significant educational dividends.

Space Navigator is working like a "mouse" only

Hi!

Can anyone help me with this please?
I'm finishing a illustration for a meeting tomorrow and would really like it if my SpaceNavigator works like it used to work...

A few years ago I used Cheetah for awhile with Space Navigator.
Very practical.

I'm now returning to Cheetah 6.3.3 and my Space Navigator doesn't behave like before - it used to help me control my camera like a 3D mouse and now all I see is the mouse cursor slowly moving in the screen.
The zoom (kind of) works.

I can see the Space Navigator in my System Preferences and I've tuned it according to the screen captures I made a few years ago when I first installed the Space Navigator.

Should I install a (new) driver?
Their site is down: http://www.isitdownrightnow.com/3dconnexion.com.html

Oh... I'm using Mac Os 10.9.5 and Cheetah 6.3.3.

Thank in advance!

Sounds like you may need to rebuild your 3DC configuration &/or download the highest macOS update + 3DConnexion driver available for your Mac if possible.

For convenience, I've attached an older copy of my 2015 3DC Config file (Space Navigator Cheetah3D 6.3 settings) you can download & import into your 3DConnexion PrePane/Configure"Cheetah3D"(Drop down menu)/Import Configuration. Reminder to set the "Dominant" check box if available.

Hope any of this will resolve your issues.

Attachments

• C3D_3Dconnexion Config.3dc.zip
    1.2 KB · Views: 384
Tks!
I finally could be able to download the new driver from the 3DConnexion website (it’s been down all night!) and I'm now fine tuning the configuration, trying your config file, etc.

Thanks for your help.

I've been using a Connexion Space Navigator/Space Mouse with Fusion 360 it's perfect, tried it with Cheetah 3d and found it really useful for Camera navigation however only one of the buttons could be programmed the left button just acted as a "default" focus, which was liveable. To day I upgraded to Mac OS Mojave and the SM/SN now has NO pan, tilt, zoom or rotate functions but both buttons are programable for Cheetah 3D it still work perfectly with fusion any advise would be gratefully received . . . all drivers are up today as is the software. Regards.

Still no news on this issue . . . I have now been forced to upgrade to Mac OS Mojave after about a year . . . 3dConnexion Wireless Space mouse works fine in all my apps but not with Cheetah! . . . I am now looking to stop using Cheetah and migrate over to Blender . . . a real shame after years of using this really easy and useful software . . . before I press the leave button anybody anything further to add? . . .

I already use Fusion 360 . . . but it lacks the "artistic" side of other 3d packages . . . Maybe I'll look into it further for character design . . .

Just had a breakthrough . . . I am now running Mac OS Catalina and my 3Dconnexion Space Mouse is working again with Cheetah . . . Ha!

What versions? I'm running Cheetah 7.4.2 on Catalina 10.15.6 and it's not working for me.
Ditto for me as well, even in Cheetah3D 7.5b1. I see on 3DConnexion's site C3D is still listed as a supported application (uncertified) macOS 3DConnexion support and requires a developer login to access its current SDK.

I'll patiently await @Martin future update for the 3DConnexion compatibility because I'm pretty sure he's working diligently on C3D's macOS Metal version as one of his top priorities.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-10-10 at 8.49.02 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-10-10 at 8.49.02 AM.png
    469.2 KB · Views: 237
Last edited:
Running into this as well. I have two machines with the same software config. One is working and one is not. If I figure out how to activate it on the broken machine, I'll post back.

Running into this as well. I have two machines with the same software config. One is working and one is not. If I figure out how to activate it on the broken machine, I'll post back.
I'm on OS X 10.15.1 and the latest Connexion drivers. I've tried the previous Cheetah3d, the current one, and the 7.5.b1 with no luck. I thought I'd read something about uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers and/or Cheetah3d to get it to work, but I haven't had any luck so far. This is pretty frustrating and eating into my workflow, so I'll keep working at it and let you guys know if I find anything.

It's a bit of a moot point right now. I've upgraded to macOS 11 and while Cheetah seems to work fine for the things I do, the 3Dconnexion drivers don't work at all.

Last edited:
Back