Ultra-newbie question 1

Ultra-newbie question 1

I've blundered into this extraordinary world of 3d design to see if I can't construct a 3d version of some chesspieces I designed. I'm working on the figure of the bishop (as attached) and have created the base. It was my intent to construct the miter in two sections, each wrapping a triangular box around a cylinder but I have no idea how to proceed. I tried to cut a box diagonally with the scalpel and it seemed to work, but I can't separate the sections.

I seek fragments of your hard-earned wisdom!

Dan

Attachments

• bishop.jpg
    bishop.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 331
Hi plasmarc and wellcome to 3d.
Ready, steady gooooooooo:
First take a plane, generate some material und choose you bishop as a texture. Put it on the plane and go on in frontview to draw one simple spline. When putting in the lathetool make sure your diameter can be devided by 4.
Chess1.jpg

Good luck.
Frank

Last edited:
Hi Frank,
wow that's almost a complete tutorial. Soon you can print a hole book with all your one-image-tutorials. :-D

By,
Martin

Yeow!

Thanks for your time and effort Frank, your reply invested about two orders of magnitude in each above what I anticipated, which was something along the lines of, "Use scalpel, fool."

There's a lot of info here for future reference but I must confess I took a different path. As I indicated, I already had a suitable base, and as it's common to other pieces and as I want to experiment with using different materials for base and figure, I stayed with the one I made subtracting a torus from a cylinder. This also gave me a little more confidence in the precision of the radii and ratio of radii of the top and bottom. So basically all I needed to do was create a tube and cut it, etc. It took me several hours to figure out how to perform these operations but I learned a lot and tried several approaches. In the end what worked best was just making a tube with eight vertical and twenty longitudinal sections so I could cut corner to corner and get it even inside and out and 5/8 the height.

Thanks again for your time and willingness to help.

BTW, you do nice work!

Dan

Back