Parent Folder Tranforming Camera

Parent Folder Tranforming Camera

Hello,

I want to make the camera spiral out from the center while still targeting the center.

I made the camera a child of a folder so I can do some tranformations.

then I made the camera point to the center and increase its offset from it by x # of units per frame over 4 seconds.

Then I made the Folder rotate 360 degrees in those 4 seconds.

When I play back the animation the camera does not seem to concatenate the parents matrix to its own.

What can I do to make this work ?

Thanks in advance
cg

Hi xpis,

Do you mean <camera point> = <camera position>?
If so, you need not to set camera to the center.
I'll attach .jas files so please render animation and enjoy them.
One is "flying camra", and another is "flying object"
"flying object" is another solution but fix object.

(Thanks for usuing Jake's HDRI.)

Macjijii

Attachments

• CameraSpin1-jas.zip
    4 KB · Views: 355
  • CameraSpin2-jas.zip
    4.4 KB · Views: 379
Last edited:
I meant to say

"I made the camera target the center of the world (0, 0, 0) and had its position increase by x units over 4 seconds"

Thanks for the help! I'll try your files tonight when I get home from work.
cg

xpis said:
What can I do to make this work ?
cg

Hi

I assume you mean that the camera did not stay pointed toward the center?

I didn't have any problems with your method. However, I only set two keyframes (one at the beginning and one at the end), and did not change the X value for each frame. Make sure you have set the right keyframes for both the camera *and* the folder at both the beginning and end of the animation.

Also, the view from the moving camera doesn't seem to rotate (just translate) in the preview window, but it does when you render the animation.

Another way to check what's happening is use Perspective view, and have the camera selected when you run through it. That way you can see the camera's coordinate system and field of view in motion.

Or use a script!

Eric_J

Last edited:
Hi,
for this type of camera animations I already have some tags on my todo list like a "path following tag" or a "target tag". It's just a matter of time until I implement them. Camera animations will then become much easier.

By,
Martin

Back