Comical Challenge

Comical Challenge

It's been a long week, so I figure it's time for something funny. This challenge is a little different than the others in that there's more flexibility.

1) Any program can be used to model or texture, but Cheetah has to be used for most of the work.
2) Post processing is OK.
3) The scene has to be comical in nature.
4) Rendering must be done with Cheetah.
5) Deadline is in 1.5 weeks.

I'll post the winning entry, along with credit to the winner on www.cgvertx.com

Comical Challenge-Bug Killer

Bug Killer

Had some time at work and whipped this up.

Bug Model by Uncle (please do NOT sue me for copyright infringement :confused: )

Took a picture of my left arm with my iPhone, then a picture of my right arm with iPhone also.

Brought all 3 into Gimp. Put motion blur on my right arm and duplicated bug layer to make small shadow by adjusting brightness, contrast and transparency.

While not what your probably looking for, I had fun with this and it made me laugh.

Attachments

• BugAttack.jpg
    BugAttack.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 768
Bug Killer

Had some time at work and whipped this up.

Bug Model by Uncle (please do NOT sue me for copyright infringement :confused: )

Took a picture of my left arm with my iPhone, then a picture of my right arm with iPhone also.

Brought all 3 into Gimp. Put motion blur on my right arm and duplicated bug layer to make small shadow by adjusting brightness, contrast and transparency.

While not what your probably looking for, I had fun with this and it made me laugh.
No problem That makes me laugh too.:wink:

Monty Python Club

The box was completely created in Cheetah. I rendered the whole thing by clicking on the render button in Cheetah. Hey presto!

Attachments

• mp.jpg
    mp.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 754
Comical Character

Okay, I guess no one thought my first attempt was funny. A tad too saucy for the forum perhaps and a crude effort. So keeping on the Monty Python theme I tried to imitate a classic Terry Gilliam character. Going for that grainy look using two area lights with samples at 1. It works in parts, but I'm guessing Terry Gilliam used an old fashioned splatter airbrush for the effect, and this image has no post work, apart from type. So, maybe someone will find this comical? :)

Attachments

• monty.jpg
    monty.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 706
I know this one for sure. My wife got this on a t-shirt - guess why;)
Very nice conversion.

Frank

Thanks, Frank. So your wife has it on a T-shirt, that's funny. Classic character though. Very hard to get that splatter effect in Cheetah, kind of works in parts, a bit hit or miss. You don't know any tricks for that do you?

Cheers
Terry

I think you´re on the right track with 1 sample area light.
In addition you can pilot the grain by setting the tolerance between 0.5 and 1.0 in the camera properties.

Cheers
Frank

Attachments

• SplatterAirbrush.jpg
    SplatterAirbrush.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 718
Thanks, Frank. Yes that certainly does the trick. :)

I was thinking of the big foot, Flow. But feet are quite hard to build in 3D so I skipped it.

Attachments

• m2.jpg
    m2.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 546
Thanks, Frank. Yes that certainly does the trick. :)

I was thinking of the big foot, Flow. But feet are quite hard to build in 3D so I skipped it.

Hi Robert, I noticed you haven't responded. I just want to say that if you feel that this image is not suitable for your website by no means feel obligated to post it. I just did it for fun. And I fully understand that an image like this may not be appropriate. No problem. Hopefully someone else will post something more suitable.

Cheers
Terry

Terry,

Hey. I believe your latest is fine. I just got back from vacation, yesterday. (had no internet...ugh!).

Terry,

Hey. I believe your latest is fine. I just got back from vacation, yesterday. (had no internet...ugh!).

Okay, so maybe I was being paranoid, Robert. But still, I stand by what I say. You have no obligation. Hope you had a good vacation. :)

Don't worry. It's all game from here. As far as the vacation, it was much needed. A lightening strike knocked out our washer, dryer, coffee pot, and satellite. I've been going through a bunch of mess with companies to get them to do what they're supposed to and actually show up for appts. Of course to add to it, my lawn mower broke and the A/C in my car doesn't work in the front anymore.

I keep telling myself it's not the worst I've been through and things almost always work themselves out.

Don't worry. It's all game from here. As far as the vacation, it was much needed. A lightening strike knocked out our washer, dryer, coffee pot, and satellite. I've been going through a bunch of mess with companies to get them to do what they're supposed to and actually show up for appts. Of course to add to it, my lawn mower broke and the A/C in my car doesn't work in the front anymore.

I keep telling myself it's not the worst I've been through and things almost always work themselves out.

Bummer! Well as you say, it can only get better. :icon_thumbup:

So far, it seems to be. I have a 5-year warranty on the washer/dryer that covers surges, and they're supposed to fix them tomorrow. I fixed the mower myself. I simply bought a new coffee maker for $17, even though I wanted to see the other one last it's full lifetime (it was $40 when I bought it and it had already lasted 6 years). The satellite was fixed on Tuesday, save one cable install they couldn't do (Eh?...a broadcast distributor company that can't install a cable?). I'm making my own luck at this point.

Comical Challenge - Gerbil Wheel

Here's my submission. This is me making fun of my niece and nephew by putting them in a gerbil wheel that powers battery charging.

Attachments

• GerbilWheel.jpg
    GerbilWheel.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 527
Again, the entries were great and very tough to judge. However, I had to pick one winner and for the effort, as well as careful thought. I have to say that my favorite was Murcielago's. It showed quite a bit of enthusiasm for the subject matter, as demonstrated by the complexity of the scene, and was completely original. Congratulations Murcielago!

Your entry and credit to you will be posted on CGVertX.com! If you could, please send me the scene with the lighting increased a bit, so that we can see the details better.

Last edited:
Back