jas or fbx file format specifications

jas or fbx file format specifications

Hello, I am coding a simple 3d game engine for my own use. I was having trouble finding specifications for the fbx or jas file formats. Can you give me a link to specs for a file format that supports animations and which Cheetah3d exports to?

Thank you,
Ummon Karpe

Never mind. I just read in another thread that .jas is a human-readable xml format. I shoukld be able to figure it out then.

Guess I posted too quickly. I tried opening the .jas file with a text editor. I can't make head or tail of it.

Hmm I thought .jas was XML too.

FBX is well documented, there's a binary form (which is what most folks use) and a readable form (same with a lot of formats, e.g. 3DMF).

The link you provided is documentation for using the SDK, not the file itself. It says that:

"NoteThe FBX file format is not documented, neither in its ASCII version nor its binary version. To import data from an FBX file, or to export data to an FBX file, use FBX SDK (or the FBX plug-ins or other applications that themselves use the FBX SDK)."

I guess that means they want to keep the format proprietary. So, I will have to use the SDK to convert the FBX file to my own format.

Thanks for the info.

Why don'y you use the .h file format ? :confused:
I thougt i was made exactly for the type of thing you are looking for ? :redface:

Cheers,
Laurent aka Tartiflette :)

I took a look at the .h files that Cheetah3d creates. They are extremely easy to use for un-animated objects. However, I tried exporting the Alien Walk sample to .h format, and found that animation data weren't exported.

Back