Creating HDR images with Terragen.

Creating HDR images with Terragen.

So I created a tutorial after a question from Jake.
It's a zipped pdf format and I hope you enjoy it. If you see any errors/improvements, please let me know.

Regards,

Peter

Attachments

• tutorial_157.zip
    160.6 KB · Views: 2,430
  • picture_11_474.png
    picture_11_474.png
    54 KB · Views: 5,147
Hi peer,
it's great to see a new tutorial in the tutorial forum. :D :D Thank you very much.

That's really an clever trick to create the HDR out of three differntly exposed .tiff cross textures. So you don't need Photoshop CS2 to compose the cross texture out of 6 HDR images.

Very nice. :D

By,
Martin

i would like to add something, which may help you to do the hop faster:

-open Terragen
-adjust the first exposure settings (like in the Tutorial)
-THEN under the Menu "windows" -> QTVR Tools -> Settings
(button leftside) -> Keep individual Frames
- then Render the Cubic panorama and when it finished, you will have the
.mov and the 6 images for the first Expsure settings.

that's it, but i'm not sure if the QTVR setting are also in the non-registered Version of Terragen available. with this method you save a much of time.
:)

Attachments

• tergcheetah_125.jpg
    tergcheetah_125.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 4,727
Nilkimas-> Thanks for the tip!
The QTVR Tools are indeed greyed out in the unregistred version. I wanted to make an HDR with some free programs (OK except Photoshop ;-) ).
But if you have a registred version this saves a lot of time indeed. Now where did I put my creditcard...?

Regards,

Peter

Hi,
I've just checked out the Terragen web page and it looks like the upcoming Terragen 2.0 has some sweet new features. Maybe I should also consider a buy. :wink:

By,
Martin

Peer,
Good job on the tutorial. It's going to be very useful for the new users that have not been exposed yet to HDR images

Here is a little something for you that's going to make it easier for those that don't have a registered version with the QTVR options.

It's a Terragen script that will produce those 6 images in 1 click. So, you run it 3 times and only change the exposure in between.
I'm am pretty sure that the exposure can be changed by the script as well but I have not looked at that yet (I will then post a new version)

One way to use this script is to double click on it and it will lauch TG. You can then choose the location where to save the images and before running the script, change the image size, the level of details as well as the exposure.
For information, it takes about 3 hours to generate 6 images (900x900) at the max. level of detail and the highest accuracy for atmosphere and clouds.

Also, FYI, Terragen can generate also HDR images ( I will post later on this ) but then Pshop CS2 has to be used to merge those 6 images into a cross as there is no program on Mac that will do that or create a panorama. Too bad CubicConverter doesn't handle HDR images !

Attachments

• qtvr_script.tgs_347.zip
    667 bytes · Views: 1,180
Francois -> Thanks for the script. I see my tutorial is very basic :)
I also have the HDR export plugin, but as you already said, if you don't have CS2, you can't do much with it.
Now I'm going to check out your script!!

Regards,

Peter

Martin said:
Hi,
I've just checked out the Terragen web page and it looks like the upcoming Terragen 2.0 has some sweet new features. Maybe I should also consider a buy. :wink:

By,
Martin

Looks pretty darn good doesn't it. Much better clouds. Not as flat. Could be a good one to get.

Peter, Great tutorial. Thanks.

What would be the reason that I am not seeing the download links for the tutorial files in the posts... normally don't experience this problem at all.. :(

cheers
Trevor

Hi Trevor,
maybe I'm wrong but try to scroll the browser content to the right. Nilkimas posted a quite wide image which made the page quite wide. So maybe the links are just out of the window.

By,
Martin

DOH!!!!!!!! :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

f#@&^%&*$$#ing PeeCee crap machine I have to use at work... if only I could have had my PB here and get on the net... oh well... guess I should be doing work anyway... :lol: :lol: :lol:

cheers and Thanx Martin
Trevor

ps
so so peeved that I did not get the chance to enter the comp... home reno's took precedence unfortunately... have to keep the little lady happy too ... :D

Hi,
I just found a low cost solution for HDRI editing on Mac OS X. At least theoretically. It is a app called Pixel (32$).

http://www.kanzelsberger.com/pixel/?page_id=12

But during my tests it just crashed. It also failed to load my HDRI images :cry: Maybe it's just me. And it should be also mentioned that the version I tested was a beta.

But I will have an eye on that app.

By,
Martin

Martin, I took a look at Pixel. And found in their forums that the .HDR format is not yet supported. 32 bit Tiffs are. The author said that he's working on the openEXR format. That will also be supported by Cheetah in the future?
The program is not so bad I think, the GUI is very Windows like, but there will be advancements in the future releases I read in their forums. For now I rather stick with Photoshop. Anyway, thanks for pointing out alternatives!!!

Regards,

Peter

peer said:
The author said that he's working on the openEXR format. That will also be supported by Cheetah in the future?

Yes, I've already written the loader for v3.0 and it works fine.

By,
Martin

Back