4th Cheetah3D-Contest

4th Cheetah3D-Contest

4thConestSplash.jpg

Contest overview:
Today the 4th official Cheetah3D modeling and rendering contest starts. This time it is a "Game Heroes" modeling contest. You're welcome to submit any type of game hero. If it is a soldier, a robot, a spaceship or a plumber. That's up to you. If you want to create a whole splash screen for a game with enemies that would be also great.

And with some luck you will win one of those amazing prizes like the Unity engine and you can directly build a iPhone game with your new game hero.

The contest officially starts at 4.Nov.2008 and ends at 23.Nov.2008.

So start up your render engines and good luck,
Martin

The Prizes:
1. Unity Indie + iPhone Basic
2. Unity Indie
3. 3D World magazine (1 year)

Entry Requirements:
1. The model and the rendered image must have been created with Cheetah3D.
2. The image consist only of Entrant’s own original work.
3. If others apps than Cheetah3D have been used this has to be disclosed.
4. The entry meets the contest Motto "Game Heroes".

How to enter:
To take place at the Cheetah3D-Contest send the following material
1. The entry image (1280x960 .png files).
2. A screenshot of the 3D scene in Cheetah3D (640x480, .jpg file).
3. The list of apps which have been used to create the entry.
4. Your complete postal and email address.
to martin@cheetah3d.de until 23.Nov.2008

Judging:
Entered images which meet the Entry Deadline and Entry Requirements will be preselected by a jury. The actuall winner will then be publicly voted from the preselected entries in the Cheetah3D user forum. If two or more entries get the same number of votes the jury chooses the final winner from the entries with the same number of votes.

Termination:
The organizer reserves the right to cancel, terminate, modify, or suspend the Contest in its sole and absolute discretion if the Contest becomes technically corrupted or is not capable of being run as planned, including unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures or any other causes beyond the control of organizer that corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity, or proper conduct of the Contest.

Sponsors:

Last edited:
Holy crap, that's amazing. What a cool competition and what brilliant prizes!

Andrew :)
P.S. I think that's supposed to be Plumber Martin, not Plumper.

Last edited:
This time it is a "Game Heroes" modeling contest. You're welcome to submit any type of game hero.

Hi Martin,

Just to clarify and make sure :
Does this means that the contest rules allow to model and render a hero even if this is already an existing hero (meaning : part of an existing game ) ? In short, do you allow a "copy" of an existing hero ?

I thought this was all about copying an existing game hero:confused:

No, No, No. It's not about copying existing game characters. It's about game heroes in general. Please feel free to create your own one. Just copying would be a little bit boring.:wink:

Bye,
Martin

Hi Martin,

Just to clarify and make sure :
Does this means that the contest rules allow to model and render a hero even if this is already an existing hero (meaning : part of an existing game ) ? In short, do you allow a "copy" of an existing hero ?

Yes, as long as you've made everything with Cheetah3D it is OK.

Bye,
Martin

When you say 'Game Hero' do you mean we should limit the polygon count to what could run on games? (Will this be considered in judging)

Or is game hero just a theme for a 'high polygon' modeling?

When you say 'Game Hero' do you mean we should limit the polygon count to what could run on games? (Will this be considered in judging)

Or is game hero just a theme for a 'high polygon' modeling?

I think Martin would have defined a poly budget if this was a pure game asset design competition. Plus, not every splash screen uses low poly models in the artwork.

Andrew

Hi,
there is no poly limit. As Andrew already said for splash screens there are usually used high poly models.

Bye,
Martin

I think a polygon limit is a good idea (possibly even a polygon range). Even though splash screens often use high resolution models, they're generally based on (or used to bake onto) lower resolution models.

Hi,
with subdivision modelling the difference between a high polygon model and a low polygon model is usually just one mouse click selecting the subdivion steps. So I think it doesn't make a big difference. If you have a nice low polygon model you will automatically get a nice high polygon model by simply increasing the subdivision steps.

Since the contest already started and since I already received the first entry it is to late now to change the contest rules.

The other reason why the rules are very libaral is that I want to receive as many entries as possible.

Bye,
Martin

Hi all,

When I read that there was going to be a Cheetah3D competition, I was very excited. Really great idea. I am, however, having a hard time getting inspired by the theme of the competition. What the heck is a game hero, for one? I don't quite get it. I mean, I do, but what is the point? My creative flow just does not get going by the mention of a Quake character, or the plumber person, or the Auto Theft guy. Please, can we have a bit more suggestions? It might help me here.

Thanks!

Hi all,

When I read that there was going to be a Cheetah3D competition, I was very excited. Really great idea. I am, however, having a hard time getting inspired by the theme of the competition. What the heck is a game hero, for one? I don't quite get it. I mean, I do, but what is the point? My creative flow just does not get going by the mention of a Quake character, or the plumber person, or the Auto Theft guy. Please, can we have a bit more suggestions? It might help me here.

Thanks!

The cool thing with this challenge is that pretty much anything can be the focal point for a game, whether it's a character, environment, the overall aesthetic etc.
Basically, you could pick any computer game from the last 20 years that puts a focus on anything you want to do. Model and render it your way in Cheetah and you're away.
As for suggestions, what gets your creative juices flowing?

What the heck is a game hero, for one? I don't quite get it. I mean, I do, but what is the point? My creative flow just does not get going by the mention of a Quake character, or the plumber person, or the Auto Theft guy. Please, can we have a bit more suggestions? It might help me here.

Thanks!
Let's try this thinking-outside-the-console experiment then, shall we?

One of the prizes offered in this contest (twice, in fact) is the Unity Indie game kit. With that, you could build a game of your own. A game you could run on multiple platforms. For multiple people. That might actually pay money to have as their own. A fun game. (Okay, that last one might not be a requirement, but it'll help with that next-to-last one.) I wonder what that game would be like?

And who would be the main character of the game-narrative? A powerful man-beast? Clever and crafty lawyer? Eleven-year-old girl with a slingshot, skateboard, and 'tude the size of Cleveland? Sentient vending machine? Roving preacher in the style of Solomon Kane?

Who- or whatever you're envisioning, model that. Think of it as not just a head-start on your creative vision, but a sales pitch -- if it's good enough, you may just get the tools you need to start building your game around it.

Great!

I have been looking for an excuse to play with Cheetah again, and you gave me one!

I look forward to submitting my own work, and viewing that of others :icon_thumbup:

Hi,
with subdivision modelling the difference between a high polygon model and a low polygon model is usually just one mouse click selecting the subdivion steps. So I think it doesn't make a big difference. If you have a nice low polygon model you will automatically get a nice high polygon model by simply increasing the subdivision steps
I do not agree. It isnt just subdivision steps. Adding subdivision steps gives you nice and smooth surface but no small details. If you guys have time check out characters created for Unreal Tournament 2007. High-poly mesh contains over 2 million polygons and it isnt just a subdivided lowpoly model.
best wishes
Margus

What the heck is a game hero, for one? I don't quite get it.

For me the game hero is the character which is controlled by the gamer. So maybe I should have better said "main character of a game". But game hero sounds better.:wink:

If you are in doubt if your idea fulfills the contest theme just ask.

Bye,
Martin

I do not agree. It isnt just subdivision steps. Adding subdivision steps gives you nice and smooth surface but no small details. If you guys have time check out characters created for Unreal Tournament 2007. High-poly mesh contains over 2 million polygons and it isnt just a subdivided lowpoly model.
best wishes

That's true of course. That's why I didn't want to use a polygon limit. So you have all the freedom you need to be creative. You can creat a ultra low polygon model for the iPhone or a high polygon model for the latest graphics cards.

Bye,
Martin

Back