Spline tracking animation tutorial

Spline tracking animation tutorial

Hello,

Is there any Spline tracking animation tutorial? I know how to build the spline and put an object on it, but I have a problem with the animation.

Hi.
There´s an example coming with each download: Cheetah3d4.xx/Examples/Animation/SplineTracking.jas
Select the "Spline tracking tag" of Camera 2" and have an eye on it´s properties; especially the "position" marker.

Witch kindest regards
Frank

Spline tracking

Hi,

Frank to the rescue as always : )

I find it very useful to add an empty folder and put my tracking object inside it. So that the folder with the object inside is tracking the spline.
This is helpful to get the object aligned to the tracking spline.

Like this:

see attached image

Jan

Attachments

• Bilde 5.png
    Bilde 5.png
    240.4 KB · Views: 2,089
I tried to move the camera around a object but for some reason it is not smooth - there is some jerking.

any suggestions where I did the mistake?

scene.png

movie example

thanks in advance
alain

Hi.
I don´t think it´ll work the way you set it up.
Simply add a target tag to the camera and kind of placeholder (mesh/folder what ever) as a target object your camera will look at when it spins around the scene.

With kindest regards
Frank

Attachments

• FlyAroundCamera.jpeg
    FlyAroundCamera.jpeg
    94.8 KB · Views: 1,716
I suspect the problem is caused by splines being, in fact, polygonal approximations. Setting the camera's target (as Frank suggests) will help, but if you were to try something similar with another outcome in mind (e.g. a fly-through) you might get similar jerkiness because of the polygonal approximation. Reducing the approximation angle (minimum is 1.0 for some reason) would help, as would picking a smoothly tracking target.

@frank

thank you for your tipp - this was the solution. Now it moves nice and smooth.

@podperson
thanks for the background informations - this make it easier to understand why it does not work as expected.

When I click on the record button (to insert a key on timeline), there's nothing
*this is only for the animation of the camera on the spline

It does the same thing with the example

The attachement size limit lies somewhat at 250KB for a zipped mov file. I don´t think you can show your issue within this limit.
You can use any other file hoster or eg the http://www.jingproject.com/
Or simply post the zipped Cheetah3d jas file.

With kindest regards
Frank

I think you can try 2 things:
1.Make a right click on the record button and choose a parameter you want to keyframe
2. Or activate the little "P" (blue is for active) under the record button and make now a either a right click to choose from a list or a double click to key all parameters available.

With kindest regards
Frank

Back