Cheetah3D and Unity

Cheetah3D and Unity

Hi All,

Just a quick call out to any people who are using Cheetah3D and Unity together. I believe Martin may be looking into a closer collaboration between the two applications, for now I am just wondering if there are any others out there currently trying to work with both.

Would love to here how successful you have been exporting models into Unity. Not really happening for me atm. So far I have been exporting as a .3ds file, with supermat texture and .jpg in same folder as .3ds, but it arrives in Unity with no texture.

Unity has a tutorial called "New Projects and Empty Worlds" that briefly mentions importing a Cheetah3d model, but does not elaborate on the process.

Regards

Russell

Using cheetah3d, Just got it yesterday.
Tried importing to unity and have same prob, not all texture are imported.

Tried using carrara 3d basic and have same prob.

files are 3ds format.

still learning both cheetah and unity.

Most of my contents are in carrara 3d basics and trying to figure out how to import it to cheetah including all the textures.

Why bother with .3ds? Unity natively supports .jas (thanks to Martin's hard work) and it works perfect.

Sora.

Hi Russel,
sorry that it took so long. Does loading .jas or .fbx files with textures now also work. Because it doesn't work for me.

There seems to be a problem with loading files with textures. I'm already in contact with Joachim Ante (the Unity main developer). So I'm sure we can find a solution soon.

By,
Martin

Hi,
I've talked with Joachim and he told me that Unity only searches textures wihtin the "Assets" folder. Unity ignores all textures which are outside the "Assets" folder.

These are the pathes where Unity searches for textures:

- the absoluten path
- the relativen path
- the name of the texture within the folder of the .jas or .fbx file
- within the "textures folder"
- finally it searches the texture down the hirarchy of the "textures" folder.

I've tried it and it works very well as long as the .jas file and it's textures are within the "Assets" folder.

By,
Martin

textures

Hi Martin,

Yep, I haven't been using .fbx since .jas is working so well. I had already set up correct texture folders in assets tree when trying to discover what was going wrong. Turned out the only thing I had done wrong was not have the latest versions of both Cheetah and Unity.

Anyways, all is good now.

Thanks for all the responses.

Regards

Russell

Back