Wish: Disable antialiasing for filtered textures

Wish: Disable antialiasing for filtered textures

Hi!

I've realized that my C3D renderings are wasting a lot of time in the antialiasing phase because some noisy textures which have been already filtered, are being antialiased again (almost the 100% of the surface becomes "red", ie: candidate for antialiasing). The quality enhancement is unnoticeable because filtering did a good job already.

So, I'd like to have an antialiasing algorithm that decides to antialias a pixel only when its color delta comes from lighting or from geometric discontinuity, but not when it comes from a texture.

Hi,
you are totally right. I'm aware about that quite serious waste of CPU time. It is on my todo list for one of the next updates.

By,
Martin

Hi ces,
such an antialiasing option will be in v2.6. Some of my test scenes (oversampling 1x / 16x) actually render up to 10 times faster. :eek:

I've also rewritten the texture filtering algorithm. It is slower than the old one but it therefore offers an much higher quality elliptical filtering. Especially if you look in a 45° angle on the texture. The texture appears much sharper.
And now the main reseason why I did the rewrite. It uses 66% less RAM than the old algorithm. :D

By,
Martin

Wow Martin that's great!! Can't wait for the new update!
And now we have more rendertime for the v3 photon mapping :wink:

Regards,

Peter

Back