Feature request

#1
Feature request

Hi there. I really like Cheetah 3D. I was wondering if when I have the screen maximized, when selecting the material drawer, it would shrink the window to the side a bit in order to reveal the drawer. As an example, iCal works this way with the info drawer (when the preference is not to detach the pane). Right now I hit the material button, then the green maximize window button, so no big deal really, but it would be nice to be automatic. Thanks and keep up the great work!

Dave
 
#2
Hi,
you are right. That was really annoying. I hated that too.
So don't be surprised if the window resizes under 2.2 when you select the material drawer. :wink:

By,
Martin
 
#3
For me what would be cool is if the pallates could detach from the main window. I'm new to 3d but I have worked with 2d apps a lot and something like an Adobe photoshop interface would give you more flexibility, especially if you run a 2 monitor setup.
Also those arrows in the property editor are kind of a hindrance. Every time I select a new object I have to click on that arrow for XYZ access. You could just have XYZ going horizontally and position, scale and rotate vertically and just eliminate the arrows to open them.
And although I don't know if it would be possible, being able to marquee select several things at once would be nice. C3d is already way more user friendly than other 3d apps and stuff like that would be a good bridge for 2d users to get into 3d.
Just throwing in my 2.5 cents.
 
#4
Oh yeah, and I don't know if you noticed. But if your window is all the way to the right on your desktop, and you open the texture window, it opens on the other side. I thought that was kinda cool. Very OS X.
 
#5
Lonestar said:
For me what would be cool is if the pallates could detach from the main window. I'm new to 3d but I have worked with 2d apps a lot and something like an Adobe photoshop interface would give you more flexibility, especially if you run a 2 monitor setup.
You are right. I also want to make all views detachable. But it probably won't happen in the near future because I have to make some other things first.

Lonestar said:
Also those arrows in the property editor are kind of a hindrance. Every time I select a new object I have to click on that arrow for XYZ access. You could just have XYZ going horizontally and position, scale and rotate vertically and just eliminate the arrows to open them.
Mmm, I already thought about if Cheetah3D should remember on an object level if these properties were expanded. But than you would still have to expend it for every object.

Making a 3x3 block of the XYZ position, scale and rotation properties would make the block a little bit wider than I want. I think it would be a waste of screen space. Ideas of how to solve that are always welcome.

Lonestar said:
And although I don't know if it would be possible, being able to marquee select several things at once would be nice.
This is already on my todo list but I have to rewrite quite some code to implement it. So it could take some time.

By,
Martin
 
#6
One thing that I think would be very useful : to be able to drag/drop single objects or multiple objects or even folders between 2 different object browsers / Cheetah files. This would allow to duplicate parts of a scene into a new scene and therefore speed up the setup time before rendering a different project that may have some common parts.

Another way of doing this is to duplicate the file and then deleting some objects before adding new ones. But on some complex projects I find this a little time consuming.

Anyway, just another idea to make Cheetah3D even better. But maybe there is something I missed that would prove that this is not necessary.
 
#7
Hi Francois,
meanwhile you can copy and paste objects or materials between two different documents. That should also work.

Under 2.1 the paste command only works if you first select a existing object in the object browser you want to paste to. That bug will be fixed in 2.2.

By,
Martin
 
#8
Martin said:
Under 2.1 the paste command only works if you first select a existing object in the object browser you want to paste to. That bug will be fixed in 2.2.
Somehow I knew this had worked before but I was not able to get it to work anymore. I just checked and this is working.
Thanks a lot for the tip.

Francois
 
Top