abolute beginner

abolute beginner

hello together,

i am an absolute 3d-beginner... i made my first steps in sketchup a few days ago, but i think cheetah is the better answer to my questions. but i can't do nothing! i feel as helplees as i felt when i was using quarkxpress ten years ago for the first time. the tutorials in sketchup are great (klick here, draw a line there...) is there any simple way to make the first steps in cheetah3D? or is it possible to get a pdf-manual?

thanks a lot,

jan

Please tell us what it is you want to do with Cheetah. This way we will be able to help you better! Did you all check the tutorials in Cheetah? (help menu).

Regards,
Peter

i am a 2d-designer (freehand, photoshop,...) but i would like to draw something in 3d. i tried to extrude a *.svg graphic, but it don't works. the problem may be, that i compare cheetah with sketchup - should i forget, what i can do in other software?

I think there are several topics about importing Illustrator files into Cheetah, I believe there's even a tutorial in your help file. Try the search function in this forum, you'll probably find fast.

Regards,
Peter

Hi lumopix,
sorry but there is no pdf manual available just the html documentation.

By the way does anybody know if there exists a app which can convert the HTML documentation to a PDF manual.

For the .svg import please check out the "Illustrator to Cheetah3D" tutorial.

By,
Martin

Martin, maybe Acrobat can do the trick? I can try at work tomorrow, we have an official version ;-) I'll post the result if you like.

Regards,
Peer

peer said:
Martin, maybe Acrobat can do the trick? I can try at work tomorrow, we have an official version ;-) I'll post the result if you like.

Hi peer,
that would be great. Please let me know about your results.

By,
Martin

Martin

I have just emailed you a PDF of the Help files... was not sure what the size limit for file postings on the forum are as it is a 9.7 MB PDF... even after compression

cheers
Trevor

Martin said:
sorry but there is no pdf manual available

never mind, martin! this would be the first time, i could not learn a program! i think its easier for me to try out with a printed pdf, i can highlight something and write some notes for me... i think my problem is, cheetah3d is not a application you can learn only by drag and drop, trail and error – it's a little more difficult than simpletext ;-)

could anybody send me this pdf?

best regards, jan

Hi,
thanks for the .pdf manual. :D :D :D :D That was really fast. And even the links are working. :D :D :D Great job.

How difficult was the conversion and what app did you use? Acrobat Standard or Pro? Would Acrobat Standard be enough?

Trevor is it ok for you if I upload the manual to my webspace so that everybody who needs it can download it?

By,
Martin

Martin said:
Hi,
thanks for the .pdf manual. :D :D :D :D That was really fast. And even the links are working. :D :D :D Great job.

Pleased to be of help... just happened to be on here at the right time... :D
Acrobat's "Create PDF... From Web Page..." allows you to maintain the links under the "settings..." button in the dialog

Martin said:
How difficult was the conversion and what app did you use? Acrobat Standard or Pro? Would Acrobat Standard be enough?

The conversion was easy... took a few minutes... can't remember how long... as I just ran it in the background while reading the forums...

I used Acrobat Pro as that is what I have at home... not sure what sort of conversion Standard would do... have that at work but I am on leave at the moment... :D :D but can check in a couple of weeks when I go back... :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Martin said:
Trevor is it ok for you if I upload the manual to my webspace so that everybody who needs it can download it?

Of course you can Martin... they are your Help files... I assumed that was what you waanted it for anyway...

when I get a moment I will have a look at cleaning it up as there are a few pages which are basically blank other than the web page footer... and see if I can get the footer as a footer... but may need to take it into Indesign... or even (ahhhhhh!!!)... M$Word...!!! or some other word processor (AbiWord maybe... what ever you have for further edits down the track...

cheers
Trevor

Hi,
thanks again to both of you Peer and Trevor. You are a great help. I asked myself for quite some time if there is a app which allows me to write and maintain a .html and .pdf version of the documentation at once.

I would be very interested in maintaining the .pdf manual but it shouldn't make to much work since my time is quite limited. But as you discribed it is just a few mouse clicks for Acrobat. That sounds great.

I've seen that there are some blank pages. If it would help I could also change the layout of the HTML documentation. Please tell if that would help. I've also seen that the chapters are in a different order.

What do you think would be the best solution to write and maintain a .html and .pdf documentation? Do I have to change from GoLive to another app like Ragtime or MsWord?

I've uploaded the .pdf manual so that everybody can download it. I've start a new forum topic with the link so that everybody will see it.

http://cheetah3d.de/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=294

By,
Martin

Martin said:
By the way does anybody know if there exists a app which can convert the HTML documentation to a PDF manual.

FWIW, a quick hack is to print the HTML page as a pdf, using the standard OS X print dialog that offers to save as a PDF file. But, links are not there ...

François

Martin...

do you have InDesign... as from that you could set up the manual for both PDF and HTML outputs... if not M$Word is supposed to do HTML output but if anything like FrontPage it will be pretty dirty code...

the chapter order is coming from the list on the index page I guess to a degree... but if there is a back button on each of the pages to return to the index page the notion of chapters becomes a bit redundant...

it you wish to stick with the HTML generation followed by output from this to PDF maybe design the pages to fit within the A4 format as that is what is causing the blank pages issues...

I am more than happy to help out with any of this... my other life has been as a typesetter/desktop publisher for many years working for printers... so I pretty much know my way around page-layout apps

cheers
Trevor

Trevor-> The last time I checked there was more then a couple of minutes between Rotterdam, The Netherlands and Adelaide, Australia :p say 7 hours?

Regards,
Peter

TrevorM-L said:
do you have InDesign... as from that you could set up the manual for both PDF and HTML outputs... if not M$Word is supposed to do HTML output but if anything like FrontPage it will be pretty dirty code...

No, I don't have InDesign. And it looks like that it is quite expensive. :cry: But it sounds like the ideal solution if I can do both the .html and .pdf manuals at once.

TrevorM-L said:
the chapter order is coming from the list on the index page I guess to a degree... but if there is a back button on each of the pages to return to the index page the notion of chapters becomes a bit redundant...

Do you think removing the back button would help?

TrevorM-L said:
it you wish to stick with the HTML generation followed by output from this to PDF maybe design the pages to fit within the A4 format as that is what is causing the blank pages issues...

I think that is quite difficult. Since some sections are longer and some are shorter.

The main reason why I used .html is because i don't own a app which could export .pdf's with links.
Maybe I should make the big step and go with a .pdf only manual. What do you think?

TrevorM-L said:
I am more than happy to help out with any of this... my other life has been as a typesetter/desktop publisher for many years working for printers... so I pretty much know my way around page-layout apps

You are a great help since my own desktop publishing skills are more based on trial and error than on knowledge.

By,
Martin

what was the reason for the PDF version anyway... other than ease of printing... as HTML is viewable by all as everyone has to have browsers as that is the only way to get Cheetah in the first place... and generally more flexible in terms of building in interactivity etc...

Maybe just stick with the HTML version as if you already have GoLive you then have all the tools necessary to put together the Help files...

cheers
Trevor

ps... I will be offline until around 10 October...

Back